Gay Benefits Gain Traction in Colorado
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:38:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Benefits Gain Traction in Colorado
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Benefits Gain Traction in Colorado  (Read 2060 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2006, 10:50:32 PM »

Colorado Gay Benefits Gain Traction

By 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff
February 21, 2006 - 5:00 pm ET

(Denver, Colorado) A proposal that would give same-sex couples some of the benefits of marriage has been filed in the Colorado legislature.  If adopted it would put the plan to voters in November.

The House late Monday referred the bill to the Judiciary Committee.

The Colorado Domestic Partnership Benefits and Responsibilities Act is a response from Democrats to a Republican backed ballot measure that would ban same-sex marriage in the state.

The domestic partner measure would give same-sex couples the right to visitation and to be involved in the care of hospital patients and nursing home residents, protection of property rights, including inheritance and pension benefits, access to a partner's health care benefits and family leave benefits, and the right to take possession of a deceased partner's remains.

GOP lawmakers say the bill would be tantamount to endorsing gay marriage, but to take reservations some Coloradans have about the anti-gay marriage amendment Republicans in the Senate are pushing a bill that would grant some limited rights to a wide range of adult partners referred to as "reciprocal beneficiaries" - which would includes same-sex couples, siblings and roommates.

source
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:55:39 PM »

Colorado may have some left leans, but I'd be surprised if this passed, honestly.  A shame.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 11:16:25 PM »

Dr. Dobson of Focus on the Family supports this. (I'm not joking.)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 12:21:27 AM »

Colorado may have some left leans, but I'd be surprised if this passed, honestly.  A shame.

Agreed.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 12:23:12 AM »

Dr. Dobson of Focus on the Family supports this. (I'm not joking.)

????

That's the last person I would have expected to support something like this.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 01:07:32 AM »

"Gay benefits" makes it sound like they get something extra that straight people don't.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 01:22:35 AM »

"Gay benefits" makes it sound like they get something extra that straight people don't.

Well, they would be-unless those straight people were also married/in a relationship.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:36:58 AM »

A good porttion of the state lives in metro Denver which is moving pretty quickly to the left.  Parts of the Denver suburbs, especially Boulder County are quite liberal especially very socially liberal (probably more liberal than the suburbs in the mid-atlantic & northeast).  The ski resort areas are also very socially liberal.  The state does have its conservative areas, especially around Colorado Springs, but the state in general is moving quite a bit to the left & is easily the most socially liberal of the states Bush won in 2004.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 03:06:19 AM »

A good porttion of the state lives in metro Denver which is moving pretty quickly to the left.  Parts of the Denver suburbs, especially Boulder County are quite liberal especially very socially liberal (probably more liberal than the suburbs in the mid-atlantic & northeast).  The ski resort areas are also very socially liberal.  The state does have its conservative areas, especially around Colorado Springs, but the state in general is moving quite a bit to the left & is easily the most socially liberal of the states Bush won in 2004.

I'm pretty sure Boulder County isn't suburban Denver, but rather Boulder.

Besides, Denver suburbs like Adams and Douglas Counties are very, very conservative.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 03:44:12 AM »

I'd be shocked if a Bush state decided to not be bigotted.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 05:38:39 AM »

The results from Colorado in the 2004 elections were Bush 51.69% - Kerry 47.02%.  This is pretty damn close to the national result of Bush 50.73% - Kerry 48.27%.  Does that make America a "Bush country"?

A state is not defined wholly by whom it votes for in presidential elections; otherwise, every single state except for Minnesota would be a "Reagan state".
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 11:35:44 AM »

I find it amusing that same people who whine about bigotry in this case, turn around and oppose polygamy and incestuous marriage.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 12:07:40 PM »

Give them the benefits if they want them just don't let them get married.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 12:11:19 PM »

They already have all the benefits any single person has.  There is no need to grant them any other special benefits.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 03:21:11 PM »

The results from Colorado in the 2004 elections were Bush 51.69% - Kerry 47.02%.  This is pretty damn close to the national result of Bush 50.73% - Kerry 48.27%.  Does that make America a "Bush country"?

A state is not defined wholly by whom it votes for in presidential elections; otherwise, every single state except for Minnesota would be a "Reagan state".

WTF does Reagan have to do with gay marriage or civil unions in 2006?  It was Bush who called for a constitutional amendment to revoke valid Massachusetts marriage licenses.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 03:40:11 PM »

WTF does Reagan have to do with gay marriage or civil unions in 2006?  It was Bush who called for a constitutional amendment to revoke valid Massachusetts marriage licenses.

And jfern misses the point entirely. No surprise there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 03:43:05 PM »

And jfern misses the point entirely. No surprise there.

Get a real argument dumbass.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 03:46:41 PM »

In general, bigotry is more pervasive than just support for the Bigoted Party.  For example, while certainly nearly all Republicans support bigotry, so do a fair number of Democrats - perhaps even a majority.  Therefore, jfern is correct in assuming that a vote against bigotry is unlikely in a Bush state.  Only in a state that not only voted for Kerry, but did so by an overwhelming margin, is a tolerant vote likely.  Say, perhaps, in Vermont or some such place.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »

They already have all the benefits any single person has.  There is no need to grant them any other special benefits.

Yes, hospital visitation rights are an extra right now.  It's cool to be gay now, because you get special benefits.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 09:56:59 PM »

Yes, hospital visitation rights are an extra right now.  It's cool to be gay now, because you get special benefits.

Of course, they aren't extra when compared to straight couples, only straight singles.
Jacobtm

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 10:28:11 PM »

I find it amusing that same people who whine about bigotry in this case, turn around and oppose polygamy and incestuous marriage.
I support gay couples having the same rights/priveleges as heterosexual couples. I also support the same with Polygamy.

Incest however, leads to genetically deformed children, which is why I don't support it.

In my opinion, most people who are for gay marriage but against polygamy have been propagandized into that position, or are just not admitting to support polygamy, because it's so radically unpopular.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 10:29:54 PM »

In my opinion, most people who are for gay marriage but against polygamy have been propagandized into that position, or are just not admitting to support polygamy, because it's so radically unpopular.

I disagree.  While supporting gay marriage may be a comfortable opinion on this forum, in the real world, especially in the South, it's not a position you can flaunt in public without embarassment.  So one supporting gay marriage but opposing polygamy (as is the case with myself) is not necessarily doing so because polygamy is unpopular.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 11:45:43 PM »

Incest however, leads to genetically deformed children, which is why I don't support it.

Do you have the statistics? I don't think the difference is all that big between normal and incestuous couples.

Anyway, two sisters or brother could want to get married (or three or four, or whatever).

I respect your position, nonetheless. I was mostly just responding to jFraud.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies