Mayor Livingstone "suspended" for Concentration Camp jibe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:07:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mayor Livingstone "suspended" for Concentration Camp jibe
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mayor Livingstone "suspended" for Concentration Camp jibe  (Read 915 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:26:07 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4746016.stm

1. Totally disproportionate response to an incident that has been blown out of all proportion anyway.
2. He is the Mayor of London for god's sake. I understand that district councillors need to be regulated by the Adjudication Panel, but somebody on what is essentially a devolved body should be regulated by that body - i.e. this should have been dealt with by the Greater London Authority.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:45:49 AM »

I don't understand that district councillors "need to be regulated by the Adjudication Panel". Why the hell should they be?
I'm sorry, but this little piece of fascism just leaves me totally dumbfounded...

Now, if he'd made that comment in an official function... I could sort of see it, but it'd still be antidemocratic, pointless (ie, not achieving anything) and wrong.
Do BNP councillors often have trouble with this panel?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 08:25:30 AM »

1. Totally disproportionate response to an incident that has been blown out of all proportion anyway.
2. He is the Mayor of London for god's sake. I understand that district councillors need to be regulated by the Adjudication Panel, but somebody on what is essentially a devolved body should be regulated by that body - i.e. this should have been dealt with by the Greater London Authority.

^^^

You must be logged in to read this quote.

IIRC the whole thing was setup largely in response to things like Donnygate and other such local government scandals. Basically the idea behind it is that as lot of local authorities are unable to police themselves, an independent panel should do it to stop people losing whatever trust they have left in local government. Personally I don't like it at all, but it's probably needed (sadly). Needs reforming though (to make it more accountable).
It mainly deals with minor corruption and ethical issues, not this sort of thing.

I'm not sure why it was decided that the head of a *regional* government should be accountable to it though...

Yes, I don't quite see how a random druken insult after being harrassed by a particularly irritating journo is any business of the Adjudication Panel or the Standards Board for England...

More than an average counciller, yes (I think). But that's more to do with their conduct on the councils that they sit on, than remarks made while not in official functions...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 09:45:26 AM »

Apparently the Standards Board for England recommend (basically) a slap on the wrist and *not* suspension or anything like that... the Adjudication Panel seems to have flatly contradicted their advice. Interesting.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 09:47:39 AM »

While I think the punishment he received was way over the top, Ken is man of double standards at times. To criticisise the publication of the Danish cartoons, which were an indirect insult to Muslims, yet to stand by his direct insult to a Jew is in my book, double standards. Likewise to march in London's Gay Pride march last year, yet weeks later warmly embrace Qaradawi who called the execution of gay people as 'the voice of moderate Islam' is also a case of double standards from London's mayor.

As the representative of such a diverse city as London. he should more wary of the comments he makes. Yet I do not think he should be suspended for having made them.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 11:30:44 AM »

The should have elected Lord Archer; he was already in jail so you couldn't do that much more damage. Wink
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 12:06:34 PM »

The should have elected Lord Archer; he was already in jail so you couldn't do that much more damage. Wink

Good lord no Smiley Give me Stephen 'Shagger' Norris any day Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 02:13:50 PM »

It mainly deals with minor corruption and ethical issues, not this sort of thing.
That makes somewhat more sense. Although of course in an ideal world these issues belong with the courts, not some panel - but unfortunately that's not working well anywhere. Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies