The New York Joke Party Chairman endorses Faso over Weld.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:26:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The New York Joke Party Chairman endorses Faso over Weld.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The New York Joke Party Chairman endorses Faso over Weld.  (Read 1623 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2006, 02:29:15 PM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--governorsrace-fa0221feb21,0,7597704.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

You must be logged in to read this quote.

MESSAGE TO NY CONSERVATIVE PARTY: GTFO
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 02:37:11 PM »

Was Javitts's 1974 Senate victory on the Republican and Liberal lines the last time a Republican won without the Conservative party?

The opposite happened with Buckley's 1970 Senate victory on just the Conservative line.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 02:39:31 PM »

Was Javitts's 1974 Senate victory on the Republican and Liberal lines the last time a Republican won without the Conservative party?

I believe so unfortunatly, well for statewide office atleast.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 02:33:02 AM »

I believe so unfortunatly, well for statewide office atleast.

You hit it on the ehad with the Joke party.  Because thats exactly what they are in NY

Now, not that Weld had a chance in hell anyway, but the Conservative party really is a joke.  They have jumped further to the right at a time when they can least afford it (they have clearly jumped right as they have endorsed Pataki, who while more conservative than Weld is far from conservative himself, especially on social issues which seem like to be a key factor in the Conservative Party to go against Weld). 

Now if the Conservative Party wants to actually exist anymore in NY they must realize that a conservative Republican will never win a statewide race, especially a socially conservative Republican.  In order for a Republican to win statewide they need to do quite well on Long Island and in Westchester, that was a key reason why Pataki has won, he did well in the areas the GOP needs to do well in, to win.  However with both Long Island and Westchester becoming more & more Democratic, it becomes even more important for the Republicans to have a moderate to liberal Republican (especially on social issues) in order to have a chance to win.  Now obviously their are going to be many races in which they virtually would have no chance to win (barring Rudy or possibly Bloomberg) such as the Govenor & Senate race this year, because of how strong their opponents are. 

The Joke party for their own sake must realize that by moving further to the right & only endorsing conservatives, especially socially conservatives for the GOP ticket they won't stand a chance against ANY DEM in a statewide race.   The areas the GOP needs to do well in, in order to win statewide (Long Island, and Westchester) have simply moved too far to the  left to vote for a social conservative.  Unless the Conservative Party realizes that and realizes that fast, they won't only dig their own grave, but dig the grave for the state Republican Party which is on life support as it is.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »

For once Smash I completely agree.

I think the solution is for the "Conservative" party to just disappear, they're simply not wanted and have no role any longer in New York politics.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »

For once Smash I completely agree.

I think the solution is for the "Conservative" party to just disappear, they're simply not wanted and have no role any longer in New York politics.

Hey if the New York Conservative Party wants to bring down the state Republican Party (which is in shambles as it is) along with them more power to them
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 06:20:09 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2006, 06:22:40 PM by ag »

Given that for almost any issue of consequence to Conservatives, there is no real difference between Spitzer and Weld (or else, Weld is slightly to the left of Weld - or, at least, more exposed than Spitzer, and more clearly committed to his positions), it is not surprising. They might sincerely not care if it is Weld or Spitzer in the Governor's office in Albany. So, even if there is a one-percent chance that they manage both to force Republicans to nominate Faso, and then have him elected (and there is always a positive, if infinitecimal, chance that the weakend before election Spitzer gets exposed eating babies on TV), it still beats endorsing Weld. Yes, it is extremely unlikely that Conservative endorsement gets Faso elected, but at least there is some chance. Endorsing Weld is like endorsing Spitzer - guaranteeing the defeat before the batle.

Had Liberals still been around, Weld could have played for their line - in fact, he'd, probably, get it. Seems like the Dems are the main beneficiaries of the Lib demise this year.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 07:00:26 PM »

Seems to me that if you can support the current administration you can support anyone the conservatives nominate.  Maybe the problem isn't the Conservatives but the Republican's effort to nominate someone outside of the American GOP Mainstream.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 08:37:35 PM »

As poorly as Weld polls, I doubt it matters.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 12:35:51 AM »

Seems to me that if you can support the current administration you can support anyone the conservatives nominate.  Maybe the problem isn't the Conservatives but the Republican's effort to nominate someone outside of the American GOP Mainstream.

Not that anyone would have a chance in hell anyway, but this is New York.  Any GOP candidate running for a statewide office that is a part of the American GOP Mainstream would take a beating on Long Island and Westchester (areas the GOP needs to win to have a chance) and as a result would get absolutley crushed.  The only way a Republican can have a chance to win a statewide NY race would be to win Long Island and Westchester, which is something that NO Republican who is part of the Mainstream National Republican Party can do.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 08:16:34 PM »

So the republicans control the state senate 35-27  will they lose this.  Hopefully they can hold on to the state senate or the republicans will be really in trouble.  I was looking at the state senate map the republicans control all the seats on long island for U.S. rep aren't they democrat interesting.  Also why does New York only elect state senators to two year terms?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 12:18:40 AM »

So the republicans control the state senate 35-27  will they lose this.  Hopefully they can hold on to the state senate or the republicans will be really in trouble.  I was looking at the state senate map the republicans control all the seats on long island for U.S. rep aren't they democrat interesting.  Also why does New York only elect state senators to two year terms?

The state Senate situation on Long Island is strange considering the political climate here, and it will be an area to watch this year no question but their are a few reasons why its all GOP.  They tend to be moderate Republicans for the most part, Pataki has done very well on Long Island, won all 3 races easily  here & up until recently has been quite popular.  Then you also have the incumbent factor, Flanagan is in his 2nd term the most freshman member (elected in a Pataki year of 02) Fuschillo whis is my State Senator is in his 4th term (1st elected in the Pataki year of 98), balboni is in his 5th term, Marcillino in his 6th, Hannon is in his 9th term, Skelos in his 12th, and you have LaValle in his 15th term, Trunzo & Johnson in their 17th.  So Incumbency does mean quite a bit especially on these type of elections (a few might be retiring though I'm not sure.

Now contrast this with the 10-9 Dem advantage in the State Assembly on Long Island, two vacancies one of which has a special election on tuesday, though it is in a heavily GOP district expected to be close.  About half of the State Assembly on Long Island was first elected since 2000, as opposed to one out of the 9 state Senators.  4 of the 5 Long Island Congressman are Democrats (Peter King being the exception).  Both counties are headed by Democratic County Executives, both counties have Democratic DA's, both counties have Democratic County Legislatures.  Its just a matter of time before changes are seen in the State Senate on LI, and my guess is it will start this year.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 12:45:06 AM »

The way NY State politics has been organized for a long, long time is that the Senate is Republican and the Assambley is Democratic. In particular, the two chambers have let each other to gerrimander the districts appropriately. In addition, the power of incumbency is not to be disregarded, as well as the role of the majority: in the NY state hierarchy the minority legislators (i.e., Republicans in the Assambley and the Democrats in the House) rank somewhere below the Capitol maintenance staff in influence, so being represented by a minority legislator is no better than being unrepresented. The Dems are now on the offensive, and have decided to try to take the Senate. They, probably, will, eventually, make it, but I don't think they will quite make it this year. Most likely, they'd still need a couple of seats to switch in 2008.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 01:32:55 AM »

The way NY State politics has been organized for a long, long time is that the Senate is Republican and the Assambley is Democratic. In particular, the two chambers have let each other to gerrimander the districts appropriately. In addition, the power of incumbency is not to be disregarded, as well as the role of the majority: in the NY state hierarchy the minority legislators (i.e., Republicans in the Assambley and the Democrats in the House) rank somewhere below the Capitol maintenance staff in influence, so being represented by a minority legislator is no better than being unrepresented. The Dems are now on the offensive, and have decided to try to take the Senate. They, probably, will, eventually, make it, but I don't think they will quite make it this year. Most likely, they'd still need a couple of seats to switch in 2008.

It isn't out of the question for the  Dems to pluck 4 seats to make it 31-31, or even 5 to give the Dems a 32-30 edge, but I would say chances are they will pick up three seats & it will be 32-30 GOP
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies