Major campaign underway to nullify Electoral College (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:59:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Major campaign underway to nullify Electoral College (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major campaign underway to nullify Electoral College  (Read 158037 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: April 10, 2006, 06:22:54 PM »
« edited: April 10, 2006, 06:25:00 PM by Senator Gabu »

If only the eleven largest states joined this pact, the required 270 electoral votes would be in their control.

You're also taking away voting power from other states.

Not exactly.  Rather, you're ceding it to the nation as a whole, because the result in those top 11 states depends on the result in the national popular vote.  It's not as if the national popular vote is some disembodied entity that exists external to any statewide result.

Also, the required 270 votes are already in the control of the top 11 states.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 01:30:32 AM »

I don't get it, there'd still be the EV but states would give it to the national winner? I bet Washington DC will love to have its EV go Republican...

The electoral college system is basically set in stone, but the way each state apportions its electoral votes is left up to each state (I believe).  Essentially, this would make the winner of the popular vote win the election - effectively changing the election of the president to a national popular vote - but it would do so in a roundabout manner using the electoral college.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies