Who's Alive, Who's Dead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:05:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Who's Alive, Who's Dead
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who's Alive, Who's Dead  (Read 4001 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2006, 08:15:57 PM »

Dedicated to Walter Mitty Smiley

I found a website that lists all current extant and deceased politicians. Grim Fun For the Whole Family

I keep track of these things, but even I was surprised to learn that former Sen. Howard Metzenbaum (D-OH) and former Rep Bob Michel (R-Ill) are still alive
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 11:18:22 PM »

According to this, Boris Yeltsin is still alive.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 12:00:32 AM »

Lady Bird Johnston is still alive too...she's 'only' 93.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 09:06:25 PM »

And he is in great health - much better than back in 1999. No stress, little drink, good care. He is only 75 - just had a big birthday bash this month.

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 10:13:37 PM »

And he is in great health - much better than back in 1999. No stress, little drink, good care. He is only 75 - just had a big birthday bash this month.

Wait, I thought he died.  Could I be thinking of someone else?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 10:30:28 PM »

Not unless he died in the last week (god forbid!) and I somehow missed it. No Soviet/Russian leader has died since Chernenko in 1985 (Gorbachev is actually a month younger than Yeltsin, and will turn 75 next month).  You must have confused the country as well.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 10:37:58 PM »

Not unless he died in the last week (god forbid!) and I somehow missed it. No Soviet/Russian leader has died since Chernenko in 1985 (Gorbachev is actually a month younger than Yeltsin, and will turn 75 next month).  You must have confused the country as well.

Boris Yeltsin passed away shortly after his poor health cost him the 1996 presidential election to Gennady Zyuganov, ag. I hardly think it's appropriate to be making fun of his memory through these bizzare fantasies.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 01:53:34 AM »

Boris Yeltsin passed away shortly after his poor health cost him the 1996 presidential election to Gennady Zyuganov, ag. I hardly think it's appropriate to be making fun of his memory through these bizzare fantasies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Yeltsin
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 10:49:17 AM »

If somebody put that on Wiki, that's a tasteless joke. He was president until Dec. 31, 1999, when he retired, leaving way for his PM, Putin, to take over. He still lives in his country house (though rarely making public statements anymore), he just publically celebrated his 75th birthday, it was all over the Russian media. Here is an example in English: http://www.sptimesrussia.com/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=16696 . I read a couple of Russian newspapers/news sites nearly daily, there is no way I'd miss that. In fact, I'd, probably, get tons of e-mails from friends even before I read the papers when that does happen (though, as a Russian politician said back in the 1990s: "all those who are fidgeting too much about Yeltsin's health should stop fidgeting; Boris Nikolaevich might still get a cold at their funeral").
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »

Happy Birthday Robert Bork!

<throws confetti>
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:50:47 PM »

Albert Rosellini, Governor of Washington from 1957 to 1965, is still alive.

He is 96.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 02:52:24 AM »

I like how they have listed that Hillary Clinton is still alive.

I think we kind of knew that...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 08:17:09 AM »

Earl Butz.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Butz
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »

Sargent Shriver is still alive and kicking at 90...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 05:31:04 PM »

Sargent Shriver is still alive and kicking at 90...

Butz is 96.

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »

Guess who I found out is still alive:

That's right: Jim Clark, the sheriff of Dallas County, Alabama, during the 1965 Selma march. He is now a resident of the Elba nursing home:

His fascinating (Tongue) story is found here. The highlights:

It was 1965 -- and it was a brutal, bloody time. Thousands arrested and five dead, including a minister and a housewife who came to Selma to help.

In the middle of it all was Clark, who today at 83 is hardly apologetic for his role in the resistance to civil rights for blacks.

"Basically, I'd do the same thing today if I had to do it all over again," Clark said this week in a rare interview. "I did what I thought was right to uphold the law."

He spoke on the eve of Selma's annual Bridge Crossing Jubilee, which celebrates the successful march to Montgomery 41 years ago this month.

Clark is a shadow of the brash, strutting lawman given to wearing a glistening silver helmet and sidearm similar to those worn by flamboyant World War II hero George Patton.

He lives in a nursing home in his hometown of Elba, slouched in an easy chair reading John Grisham novels or watching television. Heart bypass surgery and strokes have left him needing a motorized wheelchair to get about.

What hasn't changed is Clark's belief that he did "the right thing" during the civil rights movement.

His disdain for the movement's leaders -- the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., John Lewis and Hosea Williams -- is evident. He calls King a "liar" and says "he made sure he was nowhere around if there was a chance he might get hurt."

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 01:09:08 PM »

Huh, Eugene McCarthy bit it.
Jean-Claude Duvailer is still alive...somewhere...
I can't believe I missed Raisa Gorbachev's death.
They don't even know what month King Fahd was born in. Given just how many wives his father had and how many children there were, I guess he fell through the cracks...
Saddam Hussein - alive...for now. I bet the Kurds and Shi'a have something to say about that. Wink
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 12:29:39 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2006, 12:32:10 AM by Left of the Dial »

I didn't know Lloyd Bentsen was still alive.

One guy who's still alive I've know for quite awhile which surprises almost everyone who hears it is Vo Nguyen Giap, the supreme commander of the North Vietnamese Armed Forces and the most brilliant military commander since WWII. He says the US is doomed in Iraq BTW.

P.W. Botha's still alive? Oh well, he won't last much longer and will rot in hell soon enough.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 04:57:04 AM »

One guy who's still alive I've know for quite awhile which surprises almost everyone who hears it is Vo Nguyen Giap, the supreme commander of the North Vietnamese Armed Forces and the most brilliant military commander since WWII. He says the US is doomed in Iraq BTW.

P.W. Botha's still alive? Oh well, he won't last much longer and will rot in hell soon enough.

How was Giap brilliant in anything other than greater numbers?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 06:50:54 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2006, 12:15:24 PM by dazzleman »

If somebody put that on Wiki, that's a tasteless joke. He was president until Dec. 31, 1999, when he retired, leaving way for his PM, Putin, to take over. He still lives in his country house (though rarely making public statements anymore), he just publically celebrated his 75th birthday, it was all over the Russian media. Here is an example in English: http://www.sptimesrussia.com/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=16696 . I read a couple of Russian newspapers/news sites nearly daily, there is no way I'd miss that. In fact, I'd, probably, get tons of e-mails from friends even before I read the papers when that does happen (though, as a Russian politician said back in the 1990s: "all those who are fidgeting too much about Yeltsin's health should stop fidgeting; Boris Nikolaevich might still get a cold at their funeral").

Nah, it was thefactor who was making a 'tasteless' joke....Tongue  The wiki actually has the correct information.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 01:20:04 PM »

How was Giap brilliant in anything other than greater numbers?

Dien Bien Phu
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 06:18:23 PM »

That is a good point. But, however, if the French had accepted our tactical nukes then the Communists would have been preaching Marx in the Lake of Fire.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies