The Contraceptive Pill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:33:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Contraceptive Pill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Contraceptive Pill  (Read 5674 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2004, 10:45:21 AM »

So what are your views on the contraceptive pill, as in, the one taken regularly that contains oestrogen that will stop pregnancy, not the morning after pill.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:53:50 AM »

So what are your views on the contraceptive pill, as in, the one taken regularly that contains oestrogen that will stop pregnancy, not the morning after pill.

I see no problem with it therefore I support it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 10:54:50 AM »

The only problem I see with it is it is killing us men-folk out, oestrogen gets into the water and causes the decay of the Y-chromosome.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 11:07:29 AM »

no view
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 12:37:38 PM »

It's a woman's right! Grin
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 12:51:30 PM »

I support it
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 12:53:23 PM »

I support it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 02:11:17 PM »

The only problem I see with it is it is killing us men-folk out, oestrogen gets into the water and causes the decay of the Y-chromosome.

That's not nice...but I got through! Smiley

We will all be dead due to running out of natural resources, global warming, meteors, nuclear wars or whatever before then anyway, probably... Wink
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »

I support this as a fine method to abate the onslaught of unwanted, unloved children and confirm women in the sanctity of their sexual autonomy.

But I cannot support it as a method of family planning in our international development programs. This pill works by altering the body chemistry so the body thinks that it is pregnant. It raises the progesterone level to supress the menstrual cycle, just like during a pregnancy, and depletes the estrogen level.

This is not the best idea for malnourished women in places like Bangladesh. It can cause premature osteoperosis by depriving women of the necessary hormones for good bone health. Also, with the specter of HIV/AIDS hanging in the air, there is a decided need for barrier devices.

We would do the greatest good by making condoms more available and funding abortion services abroad.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 04:38:49 PM »

This little pill helped bring on the Sexual Revolution - cool.  

I voted 'support it, cause I get more sex' - but truthfully I think one side effect in many women is a reduced sex drive..
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 04:52:37 PM »

I'm for this... Mainly because of the second option(hah) and I believe it could help reduce abortions.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 05:05:19 PM »

I don't really concern myself with it on a societal level.  Why would I?

On a personal level, however, I am personally against it.  I believe that sex in marriage should always be open to the possibility of having children (at least while you are still young enough Smiley  )    At anyrate, I see some dishonesty and a lack of openness in using the pill in the marriage bed.  But that is just me personaly.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 10:41:19 PM »

I definitely support the contraceptive pill.

It amazes me that many pro-lifers oppose a pill that actually reduces the need for abortions.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2004, 11:11:56 PM »

I normally would not be against contraceptives, but I have voted against the pill. Reason being, the pill can kill the fetus. What the pill does is prevent the sperm from reaching the eggs by a certain mucus. But occasionally, sperm can get through the mucus, and the zygote can be fertalized. If this is the case, the zygote either is killed (it turns into a morning-after pill), or it gets a serious disorder. So I therefore vote against it.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 01:05:49 AM »

I support it.
Jezziah

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 05:26:34 AM »

I normally would not be against contraceptives, but I have voted against the pill. Reason being, the pill can kill the fetus. What the pill does is prevent the sperm from reaching the eggs by a certain mucus. But occasionally, sperm can get through the mucus, and the zygote can be fertalized. If this is the case, the zygote either is killed (it turns into a morning-after pill), or it gets a serious disorder. So I therefore vote against it.

No it doesn't, i don't know where you got your biology lessons.  It works by altering the amounts of hormones in the blood, which can either stop the egg being released, or stop a fertilised egg from attaching itself to the uterus lining
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 05:31:45 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2004, 05:32:49 AM by John F. Kennedy »

No it doesn't, i don't know where you got your biology lessons.  It works by altering the amounts of hormones in the blood, which can either stop the egg being released, or stop a fertilised egg from attaching itself to the uterus lining

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That is from www.netdoctor.co.uk

Technically stopping the fertilised egg from attaching itself to the uterus lining effectively is preventing the egg from developing so I suppose it *could* be seen as killing the zygote.

But anyway, I support it although would like some studies conducted into it as if it IS decaying the Y-chromosome it could cause some serious problems in the future.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 12:23:44 PM »

So if your married and already have 10 kids you can't afford, you want people to have more???

I don't really concern myself with it on a societal level.  Why would I?

On a personal level, however, I am personally against it.  I believe that sex in marriage should always be open to the possibility of having children (at least while you are still young enough Smiley  )    At anyrate, I see some dishonesty and a lack of openness in using the pill in the marriage bed.  But that is just me personaly.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 06:33:39 PM »

People need be able to have sex for pleasure, without any worries.  We're not animals.  
Tory

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 08:24:58 PM »

Prevents abortions, so I'm all for it.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 09:22:26 AM »

I support this, yeah.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 11:10:01 AM »

Fine with me.
Guillermo
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2004, 02:23:46 PM »

I am personally against contraceptives but I certainly do not think they should be illegal. I do not feel the same way about abortion.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 03:25:04 PM »

I don't see a problem with it.
Don't see how preventing more abortions can be a bad thing morally.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2004, 02:16:07 AM »

Haven't read the whole thread but I'll give my two cents.

I'm for the pill as long as it's safe. Mostly because I feel it could lower the amount of actual abortions.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies