Discussion of Budget
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:31:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Discussion of Budget
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Discussion of Budget  (Read 8143 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2006, 10:26:37 PM »

Most of the states in District 1 may enjoy higher than average state per capita personal incomes, most of mine don't. All of the states you represent bar Maine (34) is in the national top 25. In District 4, only Virginia makes the top 10 and Florida just scrapes in the top 25 (at 24), while Alabama, South Carolina and Mississippi are in the bottom 10

The defense and its related industries are major employers in my neck of the woods- and I 'd say it's pretty important in parts of yours too. Connecticut, Maryland and Massachusetts just might be able to cushion the negative impact of defense cuts, but I don't think most of the states I represent could

I'm thinking of the little guy who works hard to support his family, here

'Hawk'
It is not our bussiness to be in the corporate welfare bussiness, perhaps it is time for the military-industrial complex to wean itself from atlasias teat.
We do not need a 500 ship navy.
we do not need another dozen B-2 bombers.
And we sure as hell do not need another division every year just so the arms industry can get even bigger profits.

Aye and the more profit they make, they more they can reinvest Wink in Atlasia. Might be an idea to give them incentives to diversify their economic activity

But, if you want to see thousands join the ranks of the economically disadvantaged, that's you're prerogative. Not exactly progressive is it?

Might as well just hive off $95bn off the defense budget and put it on straight into welfare. Atlasia will be worse off, if anything from both a defense standpoint and a socio-economic one

'Hawk'
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2006, 10:28:46 PM »

I'm not talking about a 95bln cut i withdrew it but 1.4% is ludicrous especially with no one having the guts to raise taxes.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2006, 10:47:05 PM »

I'm not talking about a 95bln cut i withdrew it but 1.4% is ludicrous especially with no one having the guts to raise taxes.

First of all, we'll see if Senator Bell's motion to approve the Preliminary Budget is passed or not, then we'll take things from there

I don't intend to propose any tax increases but if any are proposed, I'll consider them on their merits. I'd been thinking of a tax cut. Given that most pipe tobacco smokers are elderly, I think the 4% National Sin Tax is too high

We should really be focusing on doing what we can to foster economic development and regeneration. I'm working on an idea at the moment but I want to consult with the governors Smiley before I introduce it. I'm investigating the feasibility of other ideas too

'Hawk'
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2006, 11:22:33 PM »

Aye.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2006, 11:38:47 PM »

Nay.  I will take up Citizen Kramer's suggestion and push for a reinstatement of the estate tax.  We also need to roll back some of the recent cuts.  These budget cuts in critical domestic and military areas are to severe to warrant them necessary.  I am open to suggestions.

I don't get what you're talking about.

When has the estate tax been eliminated?  No bill that's ever been passed here has ever dealt with that issue. 

And taking into account the laws that were passed before Atlasia was founded thingy means that elimination of the estate tax doesn't occur until 2010 and then it only lasts for one year before the marginal tax rate goes back to 50%.

For 2006, the tax limit on estates is $2 million and the marginal tax rate above $2 million is 45%.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2006, 12:01:38 AM »

First of all, we'll see if Senator Bell's motion to approve the Preliminary Budget is passed or not, then we'll take things from there

I don't intend to propose any tax increases but if any are proposed, I'll consider them on their merits. I'd been thinking of a tax cut. Given that most pipe tobacco smokers are elderly, I think the 4% National Sin Tax is too high

We should really be focusing on doing what we can to foster economic development and regeneration. I'm working on an idea at the moment but I want to consult with the governors Smiley before I introduce it. I'm investigating the feasibility of other ideas too

'Hawk'
Ya right more tax cuts.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2006, 02:31:33 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2006, 02:36:57 AM by Vice President Q »

I hereby motion to accept the budget as is.

On a vote of 6-4, this motion has passed.

Congratulations, Senate.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2006, 01:26:43 PM »

'Hawk'

The National Sin Taxes were actually a large cut in tobacco and alcohol taxes for Atlasia, unwittingly passed by the Senate. 

Fortunately for everyone involved, excise taxes don't really bring much revenue to the table and the corresponding creation of a marijuana and pronography tax made up a good bit of that in projected figures.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2006, 03:07:04 PM »

x Ebowed
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2006, 05:31:38 PM »

Nay.  I will take up Citizen Kramer's suggestion and push for a reinstatement of the estate tax.  We also need to roll back some of the recent cuts.  These budget cuts in critical domestic and military areas are to severe to warrant them necessary.  I am open to suggestions.

When has the estate tax been eliminated?  No bill that's ever been passed here has ever dealt with that issue. 

And taking into account the laws that were passed before Atlasia was founded thingy means that elimination of the estate tax doesn't occur until 2010 and then it only lasts for one year before the marginal tax rate goes back to 50%.

For 2006, the tax limit on estates is $2 million and the marginal tax rate above $2 million is 45%.

I must be mistaken, I thought there was a repeal of the estate tax for Atlasia purposes.  My mistake.  Anyway, I did feel some of these cuts were a little too deep, but TexasGurl has a point about the military.  It seems other government agencies are subject to scrutiny, yet the military gets carte blanche.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2006, 05:47:28 PM »

And the special interests win again.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2006, 08:51:16 AM »

I, for one, am glad TexasGurl has taken the initiative to try to find some things we can cut.  Before I can support her cuts, however, I would like some questions answered, but I’m definitely going to give it my utmost consideration.

Okay, I’m gonna dissect the cuts her proposal would make, and ask questions.  I’d be very grateful if somebody would take the time to answer these, and even more so if they did it without name-calling, insults, etc. Tongue

1. Repealing F.L. 3-5, which gives 1 billion to develop a missile defense system.  Okay, now defense has got to be one of my weaker issues, but, and this is just a question, why do we need more missile defense systems, or do we not have any already?  Just wondering, because if we need it, sure, I'm all for it, but don't we already have a missile defense system?  I know this is probably a stupid question, but if someone would outline the exact reasons we need this missile defense system, (or is this the only one we have?) than I would be very, very, very grateful.  Thanks Smiley
2. Repealing both 5-2 and 5-8, which gives 10 billion toward the creation of another division of the Army.  Now, again, do we need this?  Seriously, not trying to make a point, just asking.  I mean, I'm all for military growth, but I just want to make sure this stuff is necessary before we dismiss the Honorable Senator’s proposed cuts.
3. Repeals 6-21, which has something to do with drilling in Alaska.  I'm not exactly sure what this does...  Now, didn't Sam say we were making money off of this?  If so, I don't see why we'd want to cut it while we're in a deficit, but I'll definitely listen to the reason Sen. TexasGurl supports this, especially if I’m wrong about this making money.
4. Cutting back the budget of the Public Transportation Grant Program from 3.750 bill to 2 bill.  I don't see why this is a problem, but maybe that's just me.  I mean, when we're in a deficit like this, we really do need to cut out the less important programs like this.
5. Cutting 10% from the DaSD.  What does the DaSD do, exactly?  I mean, obviously it has to do with Defense and Security, but what exactly would this cut be affecting?

I'd really appreciate some answers here, thanks Smiley
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2006, 11:57:24 AM »

I must be mistaken, I thought there was a repeal of the estate tax for Atlasia purposes.  My mistake.  Anyway, I did feel some of these cuts were a little too deep, but TexasGurl has a point about the military.  It seems other government agencies are subject to scrutiny, yet the military gets carte blanche.
I suppose I meant reinstating the Estate tax to it's original values before the Bush presidency.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2006, 08:12:48 PM »

I suppose I meant reinstating the Estate tax to it's original values before the Bush presidency.

Well I would call for reinstating the capital gains and dividend taxes before the Bush presidency.  The estate taxes need a higher threshhold actually. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies