The White House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:42:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: The White House  (Read 29191 times)
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »

Unless the GM isn't considered a position you can't hold two positions at once.
Well, I was under the impression that the President wasn't making EarlAW and Jcar5 co-GMs--instead, he was making an organization the GM.

Except that would still be a problem. Right now IIRC the organization consists of EarlAW, Jcar and Captain Vlad which means that Earl could make official news as a GM when he's in the Senate.

It also consists of Sos, Clay, and BRTD as staff and we are accepting ideas and articles from anyone who submits them, just we will work as a Editor's Council to pick the best and post those.  Game Moderator is not an official posititon, since it is only mentioned in one obscure clause in the budget section.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2006, 05:19:12 PM »

Do you know what the hell a "Game Moderator" is?

Yeah, it's a position that's been unfilled for too long because nobody else would step up to the plate to fill it. 

Did you have any other suggestions?  Now get the hell out of my thread.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2006, 05:23:02 PM »

While I understand that the decision that was just made by the President was very controversial (and I told him that repeatedly), there is the fact that we have no GM, and the AWN (as biased as it may seem) has been active in reporting the news for the last week, and Atlasia desperately needs a GM at the moment, so we (unfortunately, perhaps) were the best candidate.

If a conflict of interest arises (and is proven) I will be willing to step down from co-GM and give it to Vlad at least until my Senate term is finished.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »

While I understand that the decision that was just made by the President was very controversial (and I told him that repeatedly), there is the fact that we have no GM, and the AWN (as biased as it may seem) has been active in reporting the news for the last week, and Atlasia desperately needs a GM at the moment, so we (unfortunately, perhaps) were the best candidate.

If a conflict of interest arises (and is proven) I will be willing to step down from co-GM and give it to Vlad at least until my Senate term is finished.
Don't worry about it, Just the same old whiners.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2006, 04:38:05 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2006, 05:18:36 PM by President Porce »

We are dispatching federal troops in the states of Pennsylvania and Maryland to aid the Northeast, Mideast, and Southeast regional armies in quelching the rebellion troops.

At this point in time I would like to extend my thanks and appreciation to the following people for their support of the Republic: AndrewBerger, Governor FezzyFestoon, Governor Al, and Governor Cosmo Kramer.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2006, 04:50:33 PM »

Thank you, Mr President.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »

How did 50,000 troops get to California in a matter of minutes?  And how long will it take for 25,000 to reach Nyman?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2006, 05:26:16 PM »

The fact that you are a sitting Senator means that a conflict of interest already exists.  There is no need to wait for it to arise.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2006, 05:52:33 PM »

Unless the rebellion is restarted, the following people are granted amnesty from any treason charges: Keystone Phil, Wildcard, Supersoulty, and True Democrat.  Wildcard and Supersoulty are also recognized for switching their forces to the defense of the Republic and are thanked for their support.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2006, 05:58:06 PM »

I don't want amnesty.  I want to be charged.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »

I don't want amnesty.  I want to be charged.

I refuse to pursue charges.  Sorry.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2006, 12:50:50 AM »

I'd like to make a few statements.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who came out to the polls to vote this weekend.  Once again the people of Atlasia have shown that our democracy is strong, not weak.  And while the presidential result may have been more decisive than Atlasia is accustomed to, we still had several interesting senatorial and gubernatorial races with close competition.

I'd also like to thank the citizens who participated in the rebellion for ceasing their actions before they caused more damage.  While there has been some harm done (I have proposed a bill to the Senate to address some of these problems) we should be grateful that the effect will be lessened by the speedy surrender of the rebellious forces.  Of course, it goes without saying that I give my most heartfelt thanks to all of the people who stood with the Republic from the very beginning, including in particular our Governors, presidential candidate Andrew Berger, the President pro tempore, and the Secretary of State.

Now I'd like to take this oppurtunity to congratulate all of our winners this weekend, as well as all of the Senate, Gubernatorial, and Presidential candidates who ran and were unsuccessful.  Everyone plays a part in offering something different to the Atlasian voters, and the choice that many of our citizens had at the ballot boxes this weekend is something that should not be minimized.

I am truly amazed at the presidential result.  Not only was it decisive and without controversy, Q and I broke Atlasian tradition by being the first President and Vice-President to be given a second term by the Atlasian people.  Throughout the upcoming term I will try to not forget the powerful mandate that I have been given by the electorate this weekend.

To those who have willfully deregistered, I urge you to reconsider your decision.  Everyone who has an interest in this game should play their part and make their voice heard.  I was actually particularly enjoying the input of one person who recently deregistered in Senatorial business, although I did not vote for him.

Thanks.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2006, 03:25:29 AM »

A Note About the Armenian Genocide

This weekend the Senate passed a resolution based on a text I proposed that reads:

1. The government of Atlasia recognizes the forced evacuation and resultant deaths of over a million Armenians as ordered by the government of the Young Turks from 1915 to 1917 to be genocide.
    2. The government of Atlasia hereby condemns the refusal to acknowledge the said events as genocide by the government of Turkey.

Today, a month after the 91st anniversary of this horrible genocide, I would like to once again express my full support of the Senate's actions on this matter and send a message to the Turkish government that while we are not imposing any economic sanctions against them and continue to consider them a strong ally, we are not pleased with the way it treated the Armenian people 91 years ago and join more than a dozen other countries in demanding that the Turkish government simply recognize that they perpetrated the genocide and apologize.  That is all we ask; the time is now for it to happen.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2006, 06:43:24 AM »

OFFICIAL PRESIDENTIAL AGENDA FOR THE FOURTEENTH SENATE SESSION
A weekly sample of legislative proposals for the Senate to consider

Amtrak Privatization Bill

1. All rail subsidies are abolished effective FY 2007.
2. The Amtrak rail system is to be privatized through an auction.
3. The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to make necessary rules and regulations relating to the process of privatization.
4. The privatization of the Amtrak system shall be completed before the year 2007.
5. The person or corporation who purchases the Amtrak system will be authorized to terminate unprofitable routes at their discretion.

Whaling Bill

1. The Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission is abolished.
2. The act of whaling, the hunting and killing of whales, is hereby criminalized.  No person shall be exempt from this law due to ther ethnic or religious status.
3. The intentional killing of a whale for hunting purposes shall be punishable by a maximum fine of $15,000, a maximum of three years in prison, enviro-centric community service, or any combination of these.

Human Cloning Bill

Section 1: Federal Funding
1. Any business, institution, or organization run by or funded, either in full or in part, by the federal government of Atlasia, shall not engage in human cloning.
2. Any business, institution, or organization outlined above shown to be in violation of this act shall be liable to a three month suspension of their funding pending further investigation.

Section 2: Prohibition
1. This section shall apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories that do not form part of any region.
2. Human cloning experimentation is hereby prohibited.
3. "Human cloning" is defined as attemps to create a human being through artificial means by experimenting with and attempting to create a clone of a human embryo.
4. Any person who breaks this law will be sentenced to a minimum of five years in prison or a maximum of twenty-five years in prison.  Medical professionals who violate this act shall be liable to a temporary or permanent confiscation of their medical license as found appropriate by the jury.

Corporate Welfare Elimination Bill

1. The Maritime Administration's Guaranteed Loan Subsidies are abolished effective FY 2007.
2. The Department of Defense's Foreign Military Financing program is abolished effective FY 2007.
3. The Department of Commerce's International Trade Administration is abolished effective FY 2007.
4. The Department of Agriculture's Market Access Program is abolished effective FY 2007.

Highways Bill

1. The federal fuel tax, the Federal Highway Trust Fund, and subsidies to mass transit programs are eliminated as of FY 2007.
2. The federal government shall no longer appropriate any funds for the construction and financing of highways.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2006, 07:14:30 AM »

Fourth State of the Union Address

To be blunt, the state of the union could be better.

The short-lived rebellion caused some very severe economic problems, some of which have yet to reveal themselves fully.  Unemployment is up, parts of the Northeast and Mideast regions have suffered property and economic damages, and 270 people lost their lives in the midst of needless violence.  I hope this will serve as a lesson to those who feel that military rebellion is the best way to answer what they view as problems with Atlasia.  I have proposed two bills before the Senate, one that will define these acts as treason in the future, and one that will give monetary aid to the two regions most affected by the rebellion (though the Northeast Governor has graciously refused any such aid due to the struggles of the current federal budget).

Regardless of this, Atlasia just completed one of the most uncontroversial and smoothly ran federal elections in our nation's history.  Special thanks should go to Ernest, the hard working Secretary of Forum Affairs, for his competent administration of the voting booth and work in his position leading up to the election, and to the Senate for responding to various problems in the last election (such as VP-less ballots) which somehow managed not to rear themselves again this election.

We leave the thirteenth Senate as one of the most productive sessions ever, with seventeen pieces of passed legislation and counting.  Much of the passed legislation was proposed at my request, including serious reform to our medicare system and penalties for adoption agencies that discriminate against same-sex couples.  We have also removed trade tarrifs and restrictions on dozens of countries in this session alone, including strong allies such as Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Israel, and Bahrain, among many others.

Today I introduced yet another batch of legislative proposals.  I hope to make new batches of legislation for the Senate to work with a weekly feature of my office beginning this week.  Among the bills posted this morning is one to completely ban whaling in Atlasia.  Currently we have a commission that allows Alaskan Eskimos to hunt and kill up to 800 whales every year.  That's just not right and I hope that the Senate will move to both protect whales and remove unfair race-baced priveleges from our hunting laws.

Next month will break away our long-held tradition of no two-term presidents when I swear into a second term as President of Atlasia.  I will also be giving an inauguration address and announcing the new Cabinet.  I look forward to working with the Senate for another four months and hope to see more citizen input into our lawmaking process.  I'd also like to suggest to all citizens to become more active in regional legislatures, propose laws, and revive regional politics.  This is one of the best ways ordinary citizens can contribute to Atlasia and I hope more people will begin to take advantage of it.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2006, 08:54:31 AM »

Some very good bills on the agenda Mr. President. I especially hope for the speedy passing of both the Corporate Welfare Elimination Act and the Amtrak Privatization Act both of which are much needed and will, hopefully, refocus attention back on economic issues.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2006, 05:40:05 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2006, 08:49:35 PM by President Porce »

OFFICIAL PRESIDENTIAL AGENDA FOR THE FOURTEENTH SENATE SESSION
A weekly sample of legislative proposals for the Senate to consider

Alcohol Reform Bill

1. This act shall apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories which do not form part of any region.
2. Recognizing that persons between the ages of 18 and 21 are eligible to serve in defense of the country, vote, and consent to sexual relations, the Senate wishes to correct an inconsistency by reforming the age at which restrictions on alcohol are removed.
3. The age at which one may legally purchase, possess, and consume alcohol is hereby lowered to 18.
4. Persons under 18 shall be allowed to consume small quantities of alcohol for religious or medical purposes if under the supervision of a parent or guardian.

Rail and Airlines Bill

1. The Railway Labor Act of 1926 is repealed.
2. The Railway Retirement Act of 1934 is repealed.
3. There shall be no subsidies for airline companies or aircraft producers except those that are given for purposes of defense.
4. All federal legislation preventing airports from being privately owned or operated is repealed.
5. All federal legislation preventing foreign airlines from flying domestic routes in Atlasia is repealed.
6. The Jones Act is repealed.

USPS Privatization Bill

1. The United States Postal Service is to be privatized through an auction.
2. The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to make any necessary rules and regulations relating to the privatization process.
3. The privatization of the USPS must be completed before the year 2007.
4. Upon the successful privatization of the USPS, all legal restrictions on the competitive delivery of mail are repealed.

National Zoo Privatization Bill

1. The Smithsonian National Zoological Park (National Zoo) is to be privatized through an auction.
2. The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to make any necessary rules and regulations relating to the privatization process.
3. The privatization of the National Zoo must be completed before the year 2007.

Elimination of Selective Service and Conscription Bill

1. The Selective Service is hereby eliminated.
2. No Atlasian citizen shall be involuntarily required to join the Atlasian Military.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2006, 06:19:02 PM »

Another batch of excellent bills. I hope that the current of alcohol reform also catches in the regions themselves and I have always believed in the privatization of the USPS. Good job Mr. President.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2006, 02:37:23 AM »

The Rail and Airlines Bill is atrocious.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a nationwide railroad strike at this attempt to eliminate Railroad Retirement without at the very least providing for a transition.  It's one thing to transition railroad employees to private pensions, but a simplistic repeal is going to leave railroad retirees in an extreme lurch, since they won't even get Social Security.  Total repeal of the Jones Act is also a bad idea, tho I wouldn't object to repealing the cabotage provisions of the Jones Act and the Passenger Services Act with respect to countries taht allow our ships the same privledge.  The same with opening up our skies to foreign airlines.  That should only be done to the same extent as other countries open their skies.  Unilateral disarmament is just as bad an idea economically as it is militarily.  As for our aviation subsidies, those are already supposedly for defense purposes so clause 3 is mere window dressing.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2006, 04:51:08 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2006, 07:33:57 PM by President Porce »

Appointments, 7/7/06

Chief Justice: Emsworth
Associate Justice: TexasGurl
Secretary of State: afleitch
Secretary of Defense: Bacon King
Secretary of the Treasury: Bono
Secretary of Forum Affairs: Peter Bell
Attorney General: Cosmo Kramer

Thanks to TCash101, Al, Brandon H, Ernest, and Akno21 for their service in the previous term!
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »

Thank you for your confidence and support Mr. President.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2006, 06:01:44 PM »

Thank you for the nomination, Mr. President, and congratulations again on becoming the first person to be elected to two terms as President.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2006, 07:29:30 PM »

Thank you for your nomination, Mr. President, and good luck on your second term Smiley
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2006, 12:29:36 PM »

Thank you for your nomination President Ebowed. I hope I am a fitting successor to Secretary Ernest once again.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2006, 08:19:29 PM »

Inauguration Address, 7/8/06

Good evening, Atlasians.  We have emerged from one of the least, if not the least, controversial presidential elections ever, with the first re-election of a President in Atlasian history.  With the unfortunate resignation of Chief Justice TCash, and the beginning of the new term yesterday, I nominated the new cabinet as well as replacements for the court.  These nominations can be found earlier in this thread.

The thirteenth senate session found itself to be the most active in Senate history, with twenty-three officially passed pieces of legislation.  We removed tariffs and sought free trade with literally dozens of countries, the latest additions being Thailand, Oman, and India.  We were able to give financial aid to the Mideast to help it with its recovery process after the rebellion events of last month.  We passed legislation to make what the rebels did last month strictly illegal and liable to harsh punishments.  We passed medicare reform, barred funding of adoption agencies that discriminate against same-sex couples, and pursued various social goals in our federal territories.

The fourteenth senate session promises to be just as active.  Two weeks ago I began a weekly feature of legislative proposals written by myself and members of the cabinet.  Some of the legislation has been more well-received than others, but I hope that eventually all of these proposals are duly considered.  In the coming months we will be working on solving our budget problems and hopefully fixing the funding crisis currently being suffered by the Department of State.  At times like these, people must realize that some increases in taxes may become necessary.

Attorney General-designate Cosmo Kramer and I will also be working on GM reform.  The GM issue is not a political issue, but a game issue; the GM has indisputable powers to dictate over matters of the game and, essentially, define the reality of the Atlasian world.  Preston is writing a proposal that will alter the way our news is presented to us here in Atlasia, creating a small panel of GMs where each member will be able to focus on separate issues such as economics or foreign policy; this panel will collectively form the "GM."  We look forward to introducing this exciting proposal to the public.

Finally, I'd like to congratulate Senators MasterJedi and WMS on their re-elections and jerusalemcar5, Jas, and Captian Vlad on their successful elections and hope they will enjoy the atmosphere in the Senate.  Don't hesitate to introduce any legislation, particularly if it's a proposal that originated in this thread Wink.  Above all, remember to have fun and to keep the Senate civilized and cordial (but don't be afraid to have a heated debate!).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies