Is being a liberal a bad thing in America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:07:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is being a liberal a bad thing in America?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is being a liberal a bad thing in America?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Is being a liberal a bad thing in America?  (Read 4363 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 12:11:16 AM »

Iraq was a mistake; the president did not go in there fully knowing that it would fail.  I did not support it initially because I thought we were going there for the wrong reasons and that it would distract us from our efforts in Afghanistan.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 12:12:16 AM »

The problem is the people who say the Democrats should be more "interventionist" or "strong on defense" are people who think Vietnam was great and the left was wrong for trying to stop the war there. That's a load of crap. Bad wars like Iraq and Vietnam should not be fought. Period.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 01:33:46 AM »

Why are liberals in Texas and other red states treated like Jews were in pre-war Nazi Germany.

Why are you allowed to post such incredible straw men?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 09:59:31 AM »

No, there is nothing wrong with being a liberal (just as there is nothing wrong with being conservative).  The issue only arises when extremism comes into play, and the quest for total liberalization begins to arise.  As many of you grow older, you will see how our society constantly swings back and forth between conservatism and liberalism, like a pendulum.  Once society has reached its breaking point with one ideology, it tries to balance out by changing directions.

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 10:05:32 AM »

The problem is the people who say the Democrats should be more "interventionist" or "strong on defense" are people who think Vietnam was great and the left was wrong for trying to stop the war there.

That's a rather broad claim you're making there. Someone who says that the Dems should be more interventionist might be, for example, saying that the US should stop governments that are commiting genocide against their own citizens from doing so and they may yet still think Iraq and Vietnam were bad ideas.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 01:18:23 PM »

The problem is the people who say the Democrats should be more "interventionist" or "strong on defense" are people who think Vietnam was great and the left was wrong for trying to stop the war there.

That's a rather broad claim you're making there. Someone who says that the Dems should be more interventionist might be, for example, saying that the US should stop governments that are commiting genocide against their own citizens from doing so and they may yet still think Iraq and Vietnam were bad ideas.

If that's the case that's not a problem with the Democrats at all. Clinton's actions in the Balkans for example could fall into this category, and one can see a huge difference there between Iraq and Vietnam. And yet it was the right who attacked him over that.

Yet I always hear about how the Democrats quit caring about national security after Vietnam, blah blah blah. That implies that they think Vietnam was good and anyone who wanted to completely end all intervention there is against national security. That's idiotic.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 03:01:53 PM »

Yet I always hear about how the Democrats quit caring about national security after Vietnam, blah blah blah. That implies that they think Vietnam was good and anyone who wanted to completely end all intervention there is against national security. That's idiotic.

Or maybe it's simply giving a timeframe for when people think the Dems stopped caring about national security and not a comment on whether or not Vietnam was good or bad, did that ever occur to you?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 03:06:04 PM »

Or maybe it's simply giving a timeframe for when people think the Dems stopped caring about national security and not a comment on whether or not Vietnam was good or bad, did that ever occur to you?

The implication is that the left quit caring about national security by opposing Vietnam.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 10:44:29 PM »

[The implication is that the left quit caring about national security by opposing Vietnam.

Whether the left quit caring or not isn't the point. It's the perception the left have on national security that's the problem

With the ports issue, Democrats have an opportunity to reclaim what was once their turf Wink

Dave
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 10:51:08 PM »

No, the Democrats remain the party of overreacting and grandstanding on security issues.
MissCatholic

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 10:24:37 AM »

Regarding my Nazi comments i stand by them and this is why.

Joran Van Der Sloot said that Natalie Holloway asked him if the Deepak brothers were his slaves. He said no and Natalie said that the people in Alabama still call blacks slaves.

Now it may be from a stupid teenager but how many more Americans still think like that and vote Republican?. people still think of blacks as the underclass in the society. You arent born believing in God and you arent born believing in Rascism but the conservatives have it in their party.

They are very good at hiding the fanatics from the country. Homosexuality has released the Republicans from attacking the blacks. they have fresh meat and they love the taste.

The Republican churches love bashing gays.
The Republican congressmen love bashing gays.
The republicans in power love using gays to win elections.

Republicans are racist.
Republicans are homophobic.

If your a republican and your neither then why are you a republican when you endorse these peoples views.

you cant stop a child being a racist if the parents are racists.
you cant stop a child being religious if the parents are religious.

Voting Republican or being a Conservative is for the weak.

Being a liberal is not wrong because they stand for progress. in 20 years homosexuality will be in the same spot as racism. it will be rejected in public but in 2025 some republican homes will still be homophobic just like they are racist
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 10:55:05 AM »

Joran Van Der Sloot said that Natalie Holloway asked him if the Deepak brothers were his slaves. He said no and Natalie said that the people in Alabama still call blacks slaves.

Now it may be from a stupid teenager but how many more Americans still think like that and vote Republican?. people still think of blacks as the underclass in the society. You arent born believing in God and you arent born believing in Rascism but the conservatives have it in their party.

They are very good at hiding the fanatics from the country. Homosexuality has released the Republicans from attacking the blacks. they have fresh meat and they love the taste.

The Republican churches love bashing gays.
The Republican congressmen love bashing gays.
The republicans in power love using gays to win elections.

Republicans are racist.
Republicans are homophobic.

If your a republican and your neither then why are you a republican when you endorse these peoples views.

you cant stop a child being a racist if the parents are racists.
you cant stop a child being religious if the parents are religious.

Voting Republican or being a Conservative is for the weak.

Being a liberal is not wrong because they stand for progress. in 20 years homosexuality will be in the same spot as racism. it will be rejected in public but in 2025 some republican homes will still be homophobic just like they are racist

Miss Catholic, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 11:08:22 AM »

I don't know, Nomo ... how many Americans do think like that and vote Republican?  The burden of proof is on you, and offering up supposed conversations between a Dutch boy and a dead girl don't count.  Perhaps you can post links to polling data that suggest Republicans or racist on the whole, or any other sort of evidence besides your own rambling opinions.  This doesn't cut it in the least.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do you not see the irony in the very tripe you are spewing?  You hate Republicans; you stereotype them; you point fingers, you accuse, you tear down, you whine and moan and want those with opposing views to be silenced.  It appears that you have your whipping boys, as well (no sado-masochistic gay pun intended).

Not all Republicans are racist.  Not all are homophobic.  If not being racist means I have to feel sorry and apologetic for what has happened in the past between ancestors, then I suppose I'm a racist.  I will not take responsibility for what I personally haven't done.

You are making horrible generalizations that you surely wouldn't like made about the Democratic party.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think history has disproven you on the first accusation.  On the second: what's wrong with being religious?  I'm a bad person because I have religion and faith (Don't respond, Opebo -- your feelings are well known and I don't care to read them)?  Just because some Christians are homophobic, I get slapped with a label as being racist/homophobic, too?  It's no better to stereotype all Muslims as terrorists, wouldn't you agree?  And don't respond to me with, "Yes, but most Christians hate gays," etc.  Again, you're making the accusations; the burden of proof is on you, Nomo.  Show me proof. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 11:21:24 AM »

HAHAHA . . . leave it to Nomo to try and link Van Der Sloot/Holloway to the Republicans.  hehehe . . . even I couldn't do that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 11:29:44 AM »

Just because some Christians are homophobic, I get slapped with a label as being racist/homophobic, too?  It's no better to stereotype all Muslims as terrorists, wouldn't you agree?  And don't respond to me with, "Yes, but most Christians hate gays," etc.  Again, you're making the accusations; the burden of proof is on you, Nomo.  Show me proof. 

Bloody well said. I hate generalisations about anyone or anything. I attack fundamentalist Christians as often as I can when I find them to be either devious, nasty minded or just plain wrong. Thats what any good Christian does and I will continue to do it. But you cannot, under any circumstances claim all Christians are homophobic.

Some are, they go on and on about gays but dont give a sh*t about poverty or opression. But the majority do not hold such views. They may hear it in church, they may even think it is wrong, but they don't 'hate.' Because no Christian should ever 'hate.' And when the media, or the left, or even the right say 'Christian' whom do they mean? They mean the evangelists, in fact they usually mean Protestants. But Protestants are not the only Christians, and the public opinion of Catholics hardly even registers. At home I have found Catholics to be some of the most tolerant of homosexuality and to not blindly follow what the priest says in the pulpit or what the Pope proclaims. In fact I've met Catholic priests who have private reservations about what the diocese or the Pope proclaims! But then again i've known some very bigoted Catholics too, I've even spoken to a self confessed 'born again' Christian who believes there is nothing wrong in homosexuality what-so ever, and goes out his way to tell as many people about this as he possibly can. So again, we cannot generalise and we have all been guilty of it.

Yet far left liberals who denounce Christians as homophobic are, as J-mann says the first to shout out 'not all Muslims are terrorists.' And they are right. But they cannot condemn sweeping accusations when they make them themselves.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 02:48:09 PM »

Just because some Christians are homophobic, I get slapped with a label as being racist/homophobic, too?  It's no better to stereotype all Muslims as terrorists, wouldn't you agree?  And don't respond to me with, "Yes, but most Christians hate gays," etc.  Again, you're making the accusations; the burden of proof is on you, Nomo.  Show me proof. 

Bloody well said. I hate generalisations about anyone or anything. I attack fundamentalist Christians as often as I can when I find them to be either devious, nasty minded or just plain wrong. Thats what any good Christian does and I will continue to do it. But you cannot, under any circumstances claim all Christians are homophobic.

Some are, they go on and on about gays but dont give a sh*t about poverty or opression. But the majority do not hold such views. They may hear it in church, they may even think it is wrong, but they don't 'hate.' Because no Christian should ever 'hate.' And when the media, or the left, or even the right say 'Christian' whom do they mean? They mean the evangelists, in fact they usually mean Protestants. But Protestants are not the only Christians, and the public opinion of Catholics hardly even registers. At home I have found Catholics to be some of the most tolerant of homosexuality and to not blindly follow what the priest says in the pulpit or what the Pope proclaims. In fact I've met Catholic priests who have private reservations about what the diocese or the Pope proclaims! But then again i've known some very bigoted Catholics too, I've even spoken to a self confessed 'born again' Christian who believes there is nothing wrong in homosexuality what-so ever, and goes out his way to tell as many people about this as he possibly can. So again, we cannot generalise and we have all been guilty of it.

Yet far left liberals who denounce Christians as homophobic are, as J-mann says the first to shout out 'not all Muslims are terrorists.' And they are right. But they cannot condemn sweeping accusations when they make them themselves.

Bloody well said, both of you. Cool
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 02:59:27 PM »

Why are liberals in Texas and other red states treated like Jews were in pre-war Nazi Germany.
They're banned from using streetcars, and made to sit on parkbenches labelled "liberals only"?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 03:58:17 PM »

They're banned from using streetcars, and made to sit on parkbenches labelled "liberals only"?

BRTD would like the address of the interment camps in Texas, so he can pick up some hot liberal chicks.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2006, 05:20:43 AM »

Actually, the benches simply have a picture of a bleeding heart on them.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »

Bloody well said, both of you. Cool

Ditto Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2006, 07:41:50 PM »

Hey, I'm a liberal in Texas and I was actually treated with respect, even by my conservative/Republican friends. Careful when you make statements like that.

Well said. No reason why politically 'opposed' friends shouldn't treat you with respect

Dave
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2006, 08:43:35 PM by StatesRights™ »

Hey, I'm a liberal in Texas and I was actually treated with respect, even by my conservative/Republican friends. Careful when you make statements like that.

Well said. No reason why politically 'opposed' friends shouldn't treat you with respect

Dave

To the back of the bus with you! ha

Being a liberal is not wrong because they stand for progress. in 20 years homosexuality will be in the same spot as racism. it will be rejected in public

Lets hope you are right there!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2006, 08:58:45 PM »

Correct.  People are ill-treated in the US for racial or socio-economic reasons.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies