Favorite Newspaper (Is it Biased?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:44:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite Newspaper (Is it Biased?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Favorite Newspaper (Is it Biased?)  (Read 3399 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 02:07:07 PM »

I read NewsMax and it isn't bias by any standard.

They aren't too bad, but I find many of their articles are really just copy from other news outlets.  However, I enjoy the ease of loading of their websites.  Hardly any banners and ads.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2006, 10:23:32 PM »

I read the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.  It is biased towards the right, but not nearly as much so as the Post-Gazette is to the Left.  The Trib runs a large opinion section every Sunday that brings in writers of all political stripes.  The Post does the same... but all the writers in their section are strongly liberal.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2006, 12:18:42 AM »

Wait a minute, Supersoulty. I get both papers every week, and I'm not saying that the Post is biased towards the left, it is. But I think you're underestimating the right bias of the Trib. Colin McNickle and Ann Coulter are in the paper almost weekly, and they are two of the most conservative writers I know of.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2006, 12:19:53 AM »

I read The Philadelphia Inquirer and its definitely very left-leaning.  Dick Polman rambles everyday about the poor shape of the GOP.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2006, 12:40:30 AM »

Wait a minute, Supersoulty. I get both papers every week, and I'm not saying that the Post is biased towards the left, it is. But I think you're underestimating the right bias of the Trib. Colin McNickle and Ann Coulter are in the paper almost weekly, and they are two of the most conservative writers I know of.

I'll give you that.  However, Colin McNickle gets front page every week only because he works for the Trib.  The other front page article... the one above the fold, reflects a different political opinion every week, as do many of the articles inside.  Conservative articles rarely make it in the Post at all, let alone on the front page of the opinion section.

As for the reporting throughout the rest of the paper, they are both bias, but it has been my expirience that the Trib is less so.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2006, 03:06:21 AM »

I get Newsday delievered every day, so I read that the most by far.  My favorites are probably NYT, the Toronto Star and the Montreal Gazette.  I'm bad at detecting biases, so don't ask me, but people claim that the NYT and Newsday are biased left.

Newsday & NY Times, though Newsday Iread much more as its delivered to my house.

I would say Newsday has a very slight left bias on the Nws section, the overall they are very fair.  The editorial pages do lean left though they do have some right wing columists, Pinkerton (think thats his name) and a couple others.  They aren't as far left as the NY Times.  The 5 main papers in NY have a wide cross section.  You have the Daily News which can pretty much be considered dead center.  you have the NY Times which is a liberal paper, the  Ny Republican (ahem Post) which is quite conservative and probably further to the right than the Tmes is to theleft.  then you have the liberal leaning Newsday and conservative leaning WSJ, and both of those papers are closer to the center than the NYT or NY Post.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2006, 03:13:06 AM »

My favorite paper is the L.A. Times, which is somewhat left-leaning.

For local news, I read the Denton Record-Chronicle, which is pro-big corporation. I think most here can guess what kind of bias that is.

The LA Times may be one of the most liberal media organizations in the country, but they did endorse an anti-union Proposition that failed. That really goes to show that the idea of a liberal media is a total joke.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2006, 01:45:10 PM »

My favorite paper is the L.A. Times, which is somewhat left-leaning.

For local news, I read the Denton Record-Chronicle, which is pro-big corporation. I think most here can guess what kind of bias that is.

The LA Times may be one of the most liberal media organizations in the country, but they did endorse an anti-union Proposition that failed. That really goes to show that the idea of a liberal media is a total joke.
No, it goes to show that the media is, as best, liberal, but never left-wing.
You got to understand That those who own the papers also own this land (Billy Bragg)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 11:23:14 PM »

I'm in Roanoke, Va. for the long weekend, and although this is considered to be a conservative area, I've found the Roanoke Times to take a surprisingly liberal position on some of its editorials.  On Saturday, it issued a call to vote anti-tax Republicans who oppose Gov. Kaine's plans for increased educational and transportation funding out of the House of Delegates next year if they continue to be bent on giving the governor a black eye instead of focusing on Virginians' needs.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 11:26:33 PM »

I'm not really that big on newspapers in this country, they have ignored a lot of important news. The BBC has actually been better at reporting at some American matters. If I had to pick a favorite media organization, it'd be THE liberal media, Salon.com.

However, I hold some hope that with the latest demonization of the NY Times, they'll fire all of their Judith Millers and do some real reporting instead of pro-war propaganda.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:21 AM »

I read The Irish Times most days. It certainly has a geographic bias towards Dublin as opposed to the rest of the country. It's most notable political bias (to me) is it's neutrality regarding Northern Ireland and it is probably more sympathetic to Britain than other sources. It's current editor is a former Progressive Democrat member of parliament here - but I very rarely read editorials, so I doin't have much to say on that. Other than that, I'd say the paper takes something of a liberal stance on social issues but I've not noticed any great bias on economic issues.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »

I read the Clarion Ledger, based out of Jackson.  I haven't noticed any bias in it, though letters to the editor accuse it of bias both ways.
They seem to always endorse the incumbents, too.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies