Future conflicts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:38:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Future conflicts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future conflicts  (Read 1260 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »
« edited: March 06, 2006, 12:31:40 PM by Kevin »

I was wondering where and when major military conflicts will happen over the next 40 years if anybody can predict please post. 
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 04:47:53 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2006, 04:49:36 PM by Michael Z »

The Middle East, most certainly. There might even be a major war between Western- and Arab nations; I suspect that Huntingdon's Clash Of Civilisations theory is sadly turning into a self-fulfilling prophecy, especially if Ahmadinejad continues his Hitler-like demagogery. It's not entirely inconceivable that Iran could spark a military attack on Israel within the next decade or so, which would then motion the US and Europe to act in Israel's defense (no matter what some people here may or may not say about Europe supposedly lacking backbone because some EU countries didn't go along with the foolhardly Iraq adventure).

I'm also slightly worried about relations between China, Korea, and Japan. These guys really don't like each other. East Asia is in some way comparable to Europe 100 years ago, ie. seemingly harmless diplomatic rivalries between competing regional powers concluding in military conflict. But of course that could be neither here nor there.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »

I agree that the President of Iran is turning into the next Hitler pretty quickly. In addition I strongly think the Saudi Monarchy and Royal family going to be overthrown sometime within the next ten years and Egypt may become very unstable when Mubrarark dies.   
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 05:44:04 PM »

Egypt may become very unstable when Mubrarark dies.   

Oh yes, very true. This is, after all, the birthplace of modern Islamic terrorism.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 08:05:28 PM »

I have a gut feeling Egypt may become the next Iran or a Saddam Hussein like rouge dicatorship if the wrong people come to power in this country which is very likey in this part of the world. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 08:46:46 PM »

North America should be peaceful of itself, tho the United States is likely to get involved in a war someplace else.

With four decades, it would be possible for a Second War of the Pacific to break out between Peru, Chile, and Bolivia in South America.  Chavez isn't crazy enough to start a war himself, but I could see him offering assistance to the represessed peoples of Peru and Bolivia to reclaim the land Chile "stole" in the War of the Pacific.

Any number of potential conflicts, both internal and external in Africa.

The same goes for the Middle East.

Europe is likely to be quiet

Indian, Chinese, or Indonesian Civil Wars are unlikely but possible, however the likeliest flashpoint for war is the Central Asian -stans due to unresolved issues from the inherited Soviet Era borders.

We could always have a war between Tonga and Samoa if we need a war in the Pacific.  I could actually see a television network in a cyberpunk future sponsoring such a war just for the ratings.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 10:40:44 AM »

I've also been very very disturbed as of lately to see all these extreme left-wing goverments emerging in South and Central America in places such as Boliva and Venzelaia and, It looks like another one may come to power in Nicurgia and maybe Peru. 
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 03:26:31 AM »

We could always have a war between Tonga and Samoa if we need a war in the Pacific.  I could actually see a television network in a cyberpunk future sponsoring such a war just for the ratings.

Whist this corner of the world is pretty quiet, the possibilities are:

-Some kind of armed struggle in French Polynesia for independence
-Civil war in Vanuatu
-Civil War in Fiji
-Complete anarchy in Papua New Guinea

The Solomons seem pretty calm now. Irian Jaya could be a problem. The rest are fine.

Maybe Taswegian seperatists?
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »

World War III: India vs. China.  Both are rapidly growing world powers, competing with one another.  They will clash within the coming half century.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies