Which school of libertarian thought are you closest too?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:02:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which school of libertarian thought are you closest too?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: So which are you closest to?
Neolibertarianism

Paleolibertarianism

GeoLibertarianism

Agorism

Minarchism

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Which school of libertarian thought are you closest too?  (Read 2284 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2006, 03:04:42 PM »

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republitarianism Neolibertarianism is a political philosophy combining elements of libertarian and conservative thought that embraces incrementalism and pragmatism domestically, and a generally interventionist foreign policy based on self-interest, national defense and the expansion of freedom.

2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolibertarianism Paleolibertarianism is a school of thought within American libertarianism founded by Murray Rothbard and Lew Rockwell, and closely associated with the Ludwig von Mises Institute. Paleolibertarianism is based on a combination of radical libertarianism in politics and cultural conservatism in social thought.

3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolibertarianism Geolibertarianism (also geoanarchism) is a political philosophy that holds along with other forms of libertarian individualism that each individual has an exclusive right to the fruits of his or her labor, as opposed to this product being owned collectively by society or the community. In other words, geolibertarians support private property. However, unlike more individualist forms of libertarianism, geolibertarianism holds that all land is owned collectively by society and may not become private property. Therefore, if individuals use the land they must pay rent to the community for doing so. They hold that private property is the product of labor, and since land itself was not created by human labor, it cannot rightfully be considered the property of any individual. Geolibertarians generally advocate distributing the land rent to the community via a land value tax, as proposed by Henry George and others before him. For this reason, they are often called "single taxers

4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agorism Agorism is a radical libertarian political philosophy popularized by Samuel Edward Konkin III, who defined an agorist as a conscious practitioner of counter-economics (peaceful black markets and grey markets). The term comes from the Greek word "agora" meaning "open marketplace." Ideologically, it is a term representing a type of free market anarchist. It might be considered a branch of anarcho-capitalism or individualist anarchism. Agorists are anarcho-capitalists who 1) consider intellectual property to be illegitimate, and 2) are soft propertarians. Agorists consider their ideas as an evolution and superation of those of Murray Rothbard.

5 minarchism, sometimes called minimal statism or small government, is the view that the size, role and influence of government in a free society should be minimal - only large enough to protect the liberty of each and every individual, without violating the liberty of any individuals itself, thus maximizing individual liberty. Many minarchists consider themselves part of the libertarian tradition, and claim that what they call minarchy continues the traditions of classical liberal philosophy. The term is perhaps most often used to differentiate libertarians that believe it is possible to have a state that protects individual liberty without violating it itself, from the anarchists who believe that any state is inherently a violation of individual liberty. Minarchists believe some minimal government is necessary to preserve liberty (from invading non-minarchy based armies, if nothing else).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 03:09:29 PM »

Neolibertarianism I suppose.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 03:12:50 PM »

I wanted to see which one people vote for(I deliberately didn't put a "im not a libertarian" choice so I can see what people vote ofr if they have to)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 03:25:50 PM »

Agorist, even though that defition is wrong in a palce: lots of non agorist ancaps don't believe in Intelectual property. In fact, very few ancaps at all do.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 03:27:07 PM »

I share the ancap nonbelief in intellectual property myself...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 04:50:28 PM »

Option 5 with influences from Agorism and Geolibertarianism
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 05:42:55 PM »

Probably minarchism.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 08:49:32 PM »

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republitarianism Neolibertarianism is a political philosophy combining elements of libertarian and conservative thought that embraces incrementalism and pragmatism domestically, and a generally interventionist foreign policy based on self-interest, national defense and the expansion of freedom.

I'm a long way from being a libertarian but of those, this one. I've highlighted in red as to why

Dave
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 09:08:26 PM »

I am a minarchist, although I prefer the term "classical liberal." However, I am also an incrementalist; I recognize that one cannot abolish Social Security, repeal the minimum wage, and eradicate half the federal government tomorrow.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:33:06 PM »

over my head.  I know I'm not a neolibertarian.  Other than that I really know.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 11:56:47 PM »

Minarchist.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 02:12:36 AM »

Paleolibertarian.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 08:53:40 AM »

weird we agree on something
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 08:24:31 PM »

Neolibertarian, easily.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 08:27:08 PM »

The one that doesn't involve abolishing all public services and privatizing even things that all economists agree would suffer from a free-rider problem if made private.

Whichever that one is.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 08:51:20 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2006, 09:23:45 PM by Governor Preston Caldwell »

nonlibertarian school of thought
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 08:55:32 PM »

I'm the guy who thinks Dennis Miller should be in Congress. Smiley
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 10:00:03 PM »

Imagine if he and Franken made it to the hill?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 10:02:15 PM »

Imagine if he and Franken made it to the hill?

Yeah, then I would lose all hope I have in American democracy. Wink
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 05:59:09 AM »

Based on those short descriptions, I'd say Agorism. But I don't hate the government, so I'd make a poor libertarian.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 03:44:29 AM »

Minarchism sounds pretty close-I basically just want the smallest government possible.  There is going overboard, contrary to what some people may think of my opinions.  A market anarchy sounds nice, but once you've gotten it down to the basics, you pretty much don't need to go any further.

A justice system, police, and defensive military is good enough to cover the basics.  Possibly a system for veterean's affairs, roads, and post offices-but it sounds pretty statist of me to say that.

Paleolibertarianism sounds like a good fit too however.  I don't read much LewRockwell, but from what I have read, it sounds pretty logical.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies