WA: Former Black Panther to Challenge Maria Cantwell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:48:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA: Former Black Panther to Challenge Maria Cantwell
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA: Former Black Panther to Challenge Maria Cantwell  (Read 1397 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:34:08 AM »

Former Black Panther Aaron Dixon to run for Senate

By NEIL MODIE
P-I REPORTER

Aaron Dixon, a black community activist and icon of Seattle's political left for nearly 40 years, is running for the U.S. Senate, posing what could be a potent threat to Democratic Sen. Maria Cantwell's chances for re-election.

Dixon, 57, a co-founder of the Seattle chapter of the Black Panther Party in 1968, is announcing at a news conference Thursday his candidacy for the Green Party nomination. In a close general election, he conceivably could peel enough liberal votes from Cantwell to help hand the election to Republican businessman Mike McGavick.

In other words, Dixon could do for McGavick what another third-party candidate, Libertarian Jeff Jared, arguably did for Cantwell when she unseated Republican Sen. Slade Gorton in 2000. Cantwell won by 2,229 votes, and many Republicans think the 64,734 votes for Jared cost Gorton the election.

"This has got to be great news for McGavick and bad news for Cantwell," University of Washington political scientist David Olson said of Dixon's candidacy. That's particularly so, he said, because Dixon could pull votes from two reliably Democratic constituencies, environmentalists and African Americans.

Some liberals are angry at Cantwell for having voted for the 2002 Iraq war resolution, the USA Patriot Act and the 2005 Central American Free Trade Agreement.

In a news advisory about his candidacy, the Dixon campaign said he is running because "Mr. Dixon believes Sen. Cantwell's positions -- and votes -- on crucial issues such as peace and war, fair trade and corporate control, as well as civil liberties vs. unchecked government surveillance, are no longer representing the majority of Washington State residents."

source
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:13:54 PM »

I can't see him breaking 5 percent, but in a really close electon, he could matter.  I doubt he will.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »

Some liberals are angry at Cantwell for having voted for the 2002 Iraq war resolution, the USA Patriot Act and the 2005 Central American Free Trade Agreement.

I always love this logic: "We don't like the incumbent, so we'll vote for someone else, enabling her challenger, who is much worse, to potentially win and be our representative."
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:40:17 PM »

This guy isn't going to make a difference. McGavick is no Slade Gorton. Cantwell is going to win, but with maybe a couple less percentage points.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 12:12:12 AM »

Let's see, a former black panther in a state that's only 3.2% black. And 5% is his ceiling? Uh, no. Look much much lower.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 12:19:27 AM »

Let's see, a former black panther in a state that's only 3.2% black. And 5% is his ceiling? Uh, no. Look much much lower.

Never underestimate the willingness of places like Olympia and Bellingham to waste their vote on Greens.  The San Juans love to, as well.  I doubt he will break 5 percent either - 2 percent is a probable ceiling.
MissCatholic

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 11:31:43 AM »

This is why democrats lose elections.

Look at 2008, republicans are prepared to give up everything they believe in to vote for McCain so he can beat hillary.

a sheep in wolves clothing. he will destroy social republicanism in the republican party.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 11:53:36 AM »

Look at 2008, republicans are prepared to give up everything they believe in to vote for McCain so he can beat hillary.

a sheep in wolves clothing. he will destroy social republicanism in the republican party.

I doubt the rank and file Republicans are ready to nominate him...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 06:55:43 PM »

I doubt the rank and file Republicans are ready to nominate him...

...yet.  It is only 2006, after all.  He has plenty of time to change their minds on him before the primaries begin roughly two years from now. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 06:59:45 PM »

McCain said he would have signed the South Dakota Rapists Reproductive Rights law.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 07:43:49 PM »

I always love this logic: "We don't like the incumbent, so we'll vote for someone else, enabling her challenger, who is much worse, to potentially win and be our representative."
Isn't that the point of having a choice?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 07:53:33 PM »

McCain said he would have signed the South Dakota Rapists Reproductive Rights law.

I  agree Jfern.  I do not know where people get this idea that McCain is not socially conservative or at least a good deal right of centre.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies