Clash of Civilizations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:25:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Clash of Civilizations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clash of Civilizations  (Read 1015 times)
TB
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2006, 03:36:46 PM »

Do you believe in Samuel Huntingdon's theory about clash of civilizations? Is the current development of international relations leading us that way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_Civilizations
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 03:40:27 PM »

If anyone wants to read the original Foreign Affairs article by Huntington then pm me as I have a copy of it lying about somewhere on my computer.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 03:43:37 PM »

Huntington is a former serious academic who sold out to become a pop pundit. That in itself ought to make you wary of him. Kind of like Liz Phair going from what she was in the 90s to what she is today, if you know what I mean. On top of that (though this is just my personal opinion) he's a proto-fascist and a dangerous one. We already had a thread about his (normatively) stupid idea, which you may or may not find interesting, from December 2004, though I can't guarantee I still stand by everything I typed back then.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »

In some regards he was right, but to claim credit for such an idea is pushing at bit. His theory can be applied retrospectively throughout history, which in my opinion makes it neither new or unique.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »

Two words?

"Dishonest Trash"

I can go into more detail (and some stronger words can be used), but I shouldn't really need to. Despite that, it (like most grand theories) is very attractive to people who are ignorant and/or scared of people who are different, or who seem different, to them. O/c maybe a few little details of certain examples might be accurate, but that's not the point. The theory is tripe.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies