What's going on in Germany right now? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:11:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What's going on in Germany right now? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's going on in Germany right now?  (Read 14149 times)
YoMartin
« on: May 26, 2004, 04:59:12 PM »
« edited: May 26, 2004, 05:01:21 PM by YoMartin »

I don't read German or follow German politics too closely, so maybe I'm missing something....but why don't those maps have the FDP on them?

I was thinking the same thing. What has happened to the FDP?

Bc they havenīt won any district.
YoMartin
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 08:37:09 PM »

I don't read German or follow German politics too closely, so maybe I'm missing something....but why don't those maps have the FDP on them?

I was thinking the same thing. What has happened to the FDP?

Bc they havenīt won any district.

Really?  But they still get the full proportional representation in the legislature, right?

It seems like the district map doesn't really matter in Germany, since whatever district a party wins is just taken out of their proportional total (unless they are below the 5% line).

Or unless they get more districts that what belongs to them by PR, although this doesnīt happen so often. Still itīs important to win districts, to grow as a party or to strengthen in a certain region.

Iīm a big fan of this system (I know others in this forum prefer FPTP), and the government in my country (argentina) is currently trying to adopt it here. It seems PPR is becoming more and more popular...
YoMartin
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 09:13:23 PM »

Or unless they get more districts that what belongs to them by PR, although this doesnīt happen so often.
Actually, it happens quite a lot, especially since 1990, that CDU, and SPD get more districts than their total of seats allocated in PR. The solution is to extend the number of seats in the Bundestag, socalled "Uberhangmandate" (overhang seats).

There is also a way to avoid the change in the number of seats (I honestly donīt remember how). Itīs useful in cases where (e.g., bc the constitution doesnīt allow it) you canīt change the number of seats.

This system has it all...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies