Ideologies in Congressional Districts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:05:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ideologies in Congressional Districts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ideologies in Congressional Districts  (Read 6671 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 11:39:10 AM »

Oh yeah, Don Valley West for sure. It had escaped my mind. Funny how the most economically right wing ridings vote Liberal.

Not so strange when you look at the economic policies of the federal Liberals these days though Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For sure

Toronto-Danforth is, basically, a fairly standard issue inner city area (it's most demographically interesting feature is the suprisingly high % of blue collar workers for that part of Toronto) and was also happy to elect Dennis Mills for 16 years, often by big margins. Trinity-Spadina has a much more gentrified demographic profile (which is why the Liberals were able to hang on in '04 o/c) something that, usually, is a good indicator of a socially liberal area. IIRC it also has a fairly large student population, although I'm not entirely sure about that.
Toronto Centre-Rosedale includes the main Gay areas in Toronto, amongst other things.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 06:51:36 AM »

Can us UK users try by parliamentary constituencies by "region"?

That's about as close as we get to a state, so yep. Presumably.

That would seem pretty obvious, yep. I would tend to think that Pavilion would beat Oxwab because the latter isn't just Oxford West. Mind you, I don't know Abingdon at all, so might be wrong about that.

Bexhill & Battle is certainly possible, but it could also be Dover or one of the Thanet seats. Some of the other retirement seats as well maybe. New Forest West?

Wait... maybe Portsmouth North? Elected the delightful Peter Griffiths with huge majorities for years, and later turned strongly to Syd Rapson (best known for describing the Paulsgrove lynchmobs as "democracy in action").

South East is more socially liberal than the national average, but there are some big exceptions...

It's Southampton Itchen (Itchen is the eastern river, Test is the western one) and Oxford East, but both are possible. Again, I think Dover might be up there (one reason for the tiny swing there last election was anger at Tory proposals to sell off the Port of Dover. Seat also includes the ultra-militant Kent coalfield) and maybe Slough?

Good point.

It'll be one of those commuterland seats for sure... I seem to recall that Surrey Heath is the least deprieved part of the U.K.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »

Oh yeah, Don Valley West for sure. It had escaped my mind. Funny how the most economically right wing ridings vote Liberal.

Not so strange when you look at the economic policies of the federal Liberals these days though Wink

For sure

Toronto-Danforth is, basically, a fairly standard issue inner city area (it's most demographically interesting feature is the suprisingly high % of blue collar workers for that part of Toronto) and was also happy to elect Dennis Mills for 16 years, often by big margins. Trinity-Spadina has a much more gentrified demographic profile (which is why the Liberals were able to hang on in '04 o/c) something that, usually, is a good indicator of a socially liberal area. IIRC it also has a fairly large student population, although I'm not entirely sure about that.
Toronto Centre-Rosedale includes the main Gay areas in Toronto, amongst other things.

I was aware that the Gay village was in Toronto Centre, but since the NDP doesn't do as well there as it does in neighbouring ridings, I wouldn't think it to be as left wing. I wasn't aware that Toronto-Danforth had a huge Blue Collar population, so I guess if it does Trinity-Spadina makes more sense. Of course, one musn't rule out Ottawa Centre either. Smiley Large numbers for not only the NDP, but the Green Party as well. The only thing is the Tories have a far larger number of supporters in Ottawa Centre than in Toronto-Danforth or Trinity-Spadina.  There are also poorer areas of Ottawa Centre in the western part of the riding, but a lot of richer areas that vote NDP. It also contains Carleton University Smiley
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 07:21:29 PM »

Can us UK users try by parliamentary constituencies by "region"?

That's about as close as we get to a state, so yep. Presumably.

shall we soon be seeing a few guesses on the West Midlands? Wink

I think Abingdon is supposedly socially liberal, but I can't recall where I would have heard that...

Actually, Thanet North or maybe New Forest West is probably right.

When I saw Rapson lampooned on the controversial "Brasseye special" I thought he had been treated unfairly, until I then heard about that!

In terms of social liberalism, Brighton itself might be what tips the South East above the national average Grin

Even in the safe lib-dem Lewes constituency some locals burned an effigy of a gyspie caravan on guy Fawkes night: There are a lot of similarly dodgy people all around the place Squinting

Yes I managed to screw up with the names, but those were the ones I meant, really!

And yes, you might be right about Dover there.

That's why I chose it Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2006, 07:13:36 AM »

shall we soon be seeing a few guesses on the West Midlands? Wink

But of course Smiley

Well I know it votes LibDem in local elections, but that's not always the indicator of social liberalism that it might seem to be... Bow votes LibDem in local elections (and has done since the late '70's) but it certainly isn't because it's a socially liberal area... so does most of Bishop Auckland, suprisingly enough (although that's only in opposition to the old-fashioned Labour machine in Crook/Willington. Bishop certainly doesn't LibDem in Westminster, County Durham CC or even Euro elections) and if that town is socially liberal, then the words have lost all meaning Grin

Grin

I think they still burn an effigy of the Pope in Lewes...

Well the Itchen one is an easy mistake to make Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 07:18:37 AM »

I was aware that the Gay village was in Toronto Centre, but since the NDP doesn't do as well there as it does in neighbouring ridings, I wouldn't think it to be as left wing.

That's largely due to Rosedale; socially liberal for sure, but also very, very rich.
The riding does have quite a leftwing history at municipal level IIRC.

Good point actually
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »

bump

Socially liberal: NC-4
Socially conservative: NC-3

Economically liberal: NC-12
Economically conservative: NC-6

This still seems accurate, though it's interesting how a very conservative district like NC-3 could elect Walter Jones who distances himself from the far-right.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:10 PM »

Socially Liberal: ID-1
Socially Conservative: ID-2

Economically Liberal: ID-1
Economically Conservative: ID-2
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 09:16:04 PM »

Dunno. I haven't taken the time to acquaint myself with every congressional district.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 09:28:23 PM »

What are the most socially/economically liberal/conservative congressional districts in your state?
----------------------------------------

Virginia

Socially Liberal

VA-8 (Jim Moran's district, which covers the inner suburbs of Arlington and Alexandria, Falls Church, areas along the Dulles Toll Road to Reston, and the Hybla Valley south of Old Town Alexandria)

Socially Conservative

VA-7 (Eric Cantor's district, mainly dominated by Richmond exurbs and rural areas that extend NW past Fredericksburg to the foot-hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains)

Economically Liberal

VA-9 (Rick Boucher's district, which covers SW Virginia coal country and is therefore strongly blue-collar)

Economically Conservative

VA-7 (Eric Cantor's district)

I agree with this.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »

Social liberal: CA-08
Social conservative: probably CA-04
Economic American "liberal": CA-30
Economic European liberal: again probably CA-04
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »

Bretagne

Economically left-wing: Loire-Atlantique 8 (Saint-Nazaire)
Economically right-wing: Loire-Atlantique 7 (Guérande-La Baule) or Finistère 3 (Brest Ouest)
Socially right-wing: Ille-et-Vilaine 5 (Vitré), though it isn't a Vendée
Socially left-wing: Loire-Atlantique 1 (Nantes-Orvault). Ille-et-Vilaine 1 comes close, but IIRC it's primarily the poorer southern areas of Rennes, whereas the posh bobo areas are in the 2nd (but the 2nd includes large swaths of suburbia and some rural land)

And:

Most clerical: Ille-et-Vilaine 5 (Vitré)
Least clerical: Côtes-d'Armor 4 (Guingamp) obviously, Morbihan 6 (Hennebont) and Finistère 4 (Morlaix) are also noteworthy add-ons. But most of urban Bretagne is secular, just that these areas are the historically anti-clerical regions.

Montreal Island

Economically left-wing: Hochelaga? but there are a lot of places in the East Island that come close too
Economically right-wing: Lac-Saint-Louis
Socially right-wing: I have no clue.
Socially left-wing: Laurier-Sainte Marie (the gay quarter, UQAM). Outremont and parts of Westmount-Ville Marie come close.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »

NJ-5 is the most socially conservative, NJ-13 is the most economically liberal, don't know enough about the South Jersey districts to answer the other two
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

This is hard man.

Socially Liberal: OK-5 (moderate-conservative on social issues)
Socially Conservative: OK-1 (Die hard conservative)
Economically Left: OK-2 (conservative with populist sympathies)
Economically Right: OK-4 (conservative with libertarian sympathies)

Finding out the most liberal and left districts was easy, I had to seriously ponder which ones were the most conservative and right winged for like ten minutes.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 02:09:33 PM »

NJ-5 is the most socially conservative, NJ-13 is the most economically liberal, don't know enough about the South Jersey districts to answer the other two

IMO:

Social Con: NJ-5 with NJ-2 making a solid case.  Parts of NJ-2 could easily be transplanted from the Deep South- Confederate flags, lots of rural blacks

Economic Con:  Case could be made for NJ-5 or NJ-11.  In South Jersey I'd say NJ-3, but it's not as wealthy and more union influenced than 5 or 11.

Economic Lib: Case could be made for NJ-13 or NJ-1

Social Lib: Hmm..
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »

What are the most socially/economically liberal/conservative congressional districts in your state?
----------------------------------------

Virginia

Socially Liberal

VA-8 (Jim Moran's district, which covers the inner suburbs of Arlington and Alexandria, Falls Church, areas along the Dulles Toll Road to Reston, and the Hybla Valley south of Old Town Alexandria)

Socially Conservative

VA-7 (Eric Cantor's district, mainly dominated by Richmond exurbs and rural areas that extend NW past Fredericksburg to the foot-hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains)

Economically Liberal

VA-9 (Rick Boucher's district, which covers SW Virginia coal country and is therefore strongly blue-collar)

Economically Conservative

VA-7 (Eric Cantor's district)

I agree with this.

Basically; I'd argue that VA-08 is more liberal economically than VA-09, as well.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »

NJ-2 or 5 for most social Con?  NJ-2 definitely has a Coastal South element while NJ-5 has more of an Appalachian element, but neither are really that strong.  I can comment more on NJ-2 if needed.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »

Social liberal: CA-08
Social conservative: probably CA-04
Economic American "liberal": CA-30
Economic European liberal: again probably CA-04

I agree with you that CA-8 is the most liberal district, only challenged by CA-9 or CA-30. CA-4 is certainly not the most socially conservative district but it could be the most economically conservative. The most socially conservative district would be one of the San Joaquin valley districts like the 20th, 21st or 22nd. The most economically liberal district is certainly not CA-30 which is dominated by rich areas of west LA and beyond. It is most probably one of the poorer LA districts like the 31st,34th or 35th. It could very well be the 9th as well. The most economically conservative district is either the 4th or 3rd or most probably an Orange county district like the 42nd.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 06:37:13 PM »

Montreal Island

Economically left-wing: Hochelaga? but there are a lot of places in the East Island that come close too
Economically right-wing: Lac-Saint-Louis
Socially right-wing: I have no clue.
Socially left-wing: Laurier-Sainte Marie (the gay quarter, UQAM). Outremont and parts of Westmount-Ville Marie come close.

Why are we picking arbritrary regions? The question asked for state, (which would be province in Canada).

Anyways, I'd have to agree with you on this list. I think Lac-Saint-Louis would fit in both right wing categories, although finding a truly right wing riding in Montreal is difficult.

As for socially left wing, I would like to say Outremont, only because it is held by the NDP, but Laurier could be more socially left. Westmount also has some NDP pockets in NDG.

If we look at Quebec as a whole,

Economically left-wing: Hochelaga, still
Economically right-wing: Louis-Saint-Laurent?
Socially right-wing:  Beauce
Socially left-wing: Outremont, still
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 03:14:56 AM »

Socially Conservative: CA-22 or CA-21
Socially Liberal:  CA-12 or CA-16

Economically Conservative: CA-42 but any of the Orange County districts minus Loretta Sanchez's would work.
Economically Liberal: CA-37
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 03:25:37 AM »

Socially Conservative: CA-22 or CA-21
Socially Liberal:  CA-12 or CA-16

Economically Conservative: CA-42 but any of the Orange County districts minus Loretta Sanchez's would work.
Economically Liberal: CA-37

I disagree with you about CA-12 and CA-16 being the most socially liberal districts. CA-8,9 and even 14 are more socially liberal than them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies