Jimmy Carter for Dean (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:53:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Jimmy Carter for Dean (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jimmy Carter for Dean  (Read 11585 times)
NHPolitico

« on: January 13, 2004, 09:49:49 PM »

A little but not enough.  Why no endorsement is the bigger question?

Plus embracing the memories of the Carter administration may not be a plus.

Have you all heard this?  It's on Drudge, and I'm sure a few other news sites.

It appears that the former president is going to do everything BUT endorse Howard Dean.  How much do you think that will boost Dean, especially in the South?

Carter won Iowa. Gore won Iowa (both in the primary and the general election).  Carter isn't endorsing Dean, but he's showing that he feels Dean is a legitimate presidential candidate.  Also, Gephardt's supporters are long-time caucus-goers. Dean's are mostly new to the process. I think this could help Dean with the long-timers.
NHPolitico

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 09:52:02 PM »

How much do you think that will boost Dean, especially in the South?

That's an interesting question. Gore was quite popular with blacks. Carter was, too.  I think both associations help Dean with blacks. That means it helps Dean in Southern primaries.  Dean has a very smooth operation in Georgia already.  He sees it as a state he can win from a Clark or Edwards, if it comes to that.  
NHPolitico

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 09:54:38 PM »

But you have to remember, Democrats *love* Jimmy Carter; they (in general) have a really hard time admitting that he was a bad president, even worse than Clinton.

That is true. Carter isn't remembered badly. First, his work with Habitat for Humanity has helped his image among Democrats. Second, they think that his policies were right, but that America wasn't ready for him. Carter was just ahead of his time, you see.
NHPolitico

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 07:05:15 AM »

NHPolitico,
Just to change the subject for a moment.  I was wondering what the television advertising was like up therein NH right now.  Who is spending the most $ on advertising?  Give me your educated guess as to how the candidates will finish in the primary?  Maybe go out on the limb on order of finish and percentages.

Clark is spending the most, then Kerry and Lieberman. Dean has the lead and is spending more in Iowa. He'll really go on air after Iowa. Dean does still have ads up, but not as much as he was when he was in second place in Iowa. I agree with the level of ads all the candidates are running.
NHPolitico

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 07:07:22 AM »

Five million in a small state like NH?  Wow.  That's a ton - sounds like Clark is pulling out all the stops.

He's not running in Iowa and so he's not running ads there (I'd think). He's got a chance (remote) to knock off Dean in an upset here. He's doing the right thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies