Jimmy Carter for Dean (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:08:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Jimmy Carter for Dean (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jimmy Carter for Dean  (Read 11544 times)
jravnsbo

« on: January 13, 2004, 09:35:39 PM »

A little but not enough.  Why no endorsement is the bigger question?

Plus embracing the memories of the Carter administration may not be a plus.

Have you all heard this?  It's on Drudge, and I'm sure a few other news sites.

It appears that the former president is going to do everything BUT endorse Howard Dean.  How much do you think that will boost Dean, especially in the South?
jravnsbo

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 10:16:25 PM »

Carter is great ex-President, but terrible President.  Gas lines, Iran hostages, etc

NHPolitico--I have largely ignored these atlas elections but said I would help them out now.  We will need you to come vote int eh general election if you would.  Thanks.  
jravnsbo

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »

ag- I know the question wasn't to me, but for one small point, i heard Clark is spendig 5 million in NH these last 2 weeks.

also we need you in the coming weeks to support Supersoulty int he Atlas elections if you could.  thanks.
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 10:44:47 PM »

He is.  HE is solidly in second and if he can hold it he gets a good bump, but another story is developing there too, Lieberman is only down 1% to Kerry for 3rd.  Lieberman could sneak up to 3rd esp if Kerry does poorly in IA.

Five million in a small state like NH?  Wow.  That's a ton - sounds like Clark is pulling out all the stops.

jravnsbo

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 11:11:36 AM »

PLease! I won't even respond as I know I'd fly off the handle when you say Regan was worse than Carter.  

A little but not enough.  Why no endorsement is the bigger question?

Plus embracing the memories of the Carter administration may not be a plus.

Not a plus for a general election.  But you have to remember, Democrats *love* Jimmy Carter; they (in general) have a really hard time admitting that he was a bad president, even worse than Clinton.
Clinton was not a BAD president, so to say Carter is worse than him is an obvious statement.  But in the long run, Reagan did more damage than carter.
jravnsbo

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 11:13:15 AM »

I agree that Carter is one of the best if not the best ex-president we have had.  

Taft and Polk would be in consideration ina  different area.  Taft as he went on to serve as CJ of the US SCT, and wasn't it Polk that came back as a Senator?  (feel free to correct that one if wrong)
jravnsbo

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 01:16:30 PM »

What?  The economy boomed during the 80s and came out of the recession int he Carter days.

Carter had only four years to economically screw the country up, but Reagan had 8 and used all of them well.
jravnsbo

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 01:20:37 PM »

well first off he alone is not responsbile for it.  Dems still had control of the house (where appropiriations bill start) and 2 years the senate.

Next, the money was spent on defense to end communism in Russia, so pennies ont eh dollars then.

Next our military was in shambles afterCarter and needed massive repair.

Next, Reagan also had to jumpstart the economy with tax cuts as he did from the Carter recessions.

Yes he had to spend money but to fix the nation for the better in the long run.

What?  The economy boomed during the 80s and came out of the recession int he Carter days.

Carter had only four years to economically screw the country up, but Reagan had 8 and used all of them well.
Reagan is responsibe for approx. $2.2T of the national debt.
jravnsbo

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 03:03:29 PM »

we could always just stay int he carter days of double dip recession and 20% interest rates I guess.
jravnsbo

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 03:39:38 PM »

True and to always put it in perspective we do give a lot of foriegn aid to other countries and have a lot more military expense than most countries.  These are very big costs that other countries don't have.

So Italy and such don't have much of an excuse.
jravnsbo

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 11:39:58 PM »

speaking of Carter when did an incumbant get beat that badly before that, I'm thinking like Hoover.
jravnsbo

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 11:47:39 AM »

Yeah probably true.  Always wished TR would have lived till 1920 elections as it is widely saidhe would have been nomninee and wanted it.  

speaking of Carter when did an incumbant get beat that badly before that, I'm thinking like Hoover.

It's on the site...but I would guess at Hoover. Taft probably has an alltime record, winning only two states.
jravnsbo

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 02:46:47 PM »

Well i have heard he met with party bosses and said that he wa sinterested as he thought Wilso was a buffon and wanted to help straighten things out.

Yeah probably true.  Always wished TR would have lived till 1920 elections as it is widely saidhe would have been nomninee and wanted it.  
He didn't want to run even before he died.
jravnsbo

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 03:18:31 PM »

what states did hoover still win?

OK, Taft won only Utah and Vermont, a total of 1.5% of the EC and 23% of the popular vote. I think that is the worse result ever.
Agreed.  Hoover did badly also.

Yep, but 10 times as many EVs as Taft.
jravnsbo

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 03:50:58 PM »

interesting i was wondering about IA as that is where he was from, but hit hard by depression. thanks.

He won Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Delaware. That was it.

what states did hoover still win?

OK, Taft won only Utah and Vermont, a total of 1.5% of the EC and 23% of the popular vote. I think that is the worse result ever.
Agreed.  Hoover did badly also.

Yep, but 10 times as many EVs as Taft.
jravnsbo

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 03:57:37 PM »

That is AWESOME!!

When I think of Jimmy Carter I think of the Georgia state abbreviation-GA, which, thanks to Carter, has ceased to stand for Georgia, and now just stands simply for "Go Away"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies