BBC: Zimbabwe ' running out of wheat'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:55:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BBC: Zimbabwe ' running out of wheat'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BBC: Zimbabwe ' running out of wheat'  (Read 2333 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2006, 04:17:27 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4773876.stm

Zimbabwe 'running out of wheat'

The price of bread rose by 30% in one week

Zimbabwe has only two weeks of wheat supply left, while citizens are faced with soaring bread prices, Zimbabwe's main milling organisation has said.

The cost of bread has risen by 30%, pushing Zimbabwe's inflation rate to more than 600%.

Zimbabwe has been in economic decline since President Robert Mugabe began seizing white-owned farms in 2000.

The government is reported to have put its security forces on alert in the rising discontent leads to protests.

David Govere, deputy chairman of the Millers Association, told AFP news agency the scarcity of wheat has meant a reduction in supplies to bakeries.

"Due to depleted stocks, GMB [state-run food distributor Grain Marketing Board] is now giving us 400 tons of wheat a week, down from 600 tons," he is quoted as saying.

Shortages of wheat could force bakers to import flour from South Africa, which could lead to more price rises.

A loaf of bread in Zimbabwe currently costs $66,000 Zimbabwean (66 US cents), having risen 30% in just one week.

President Mugabe denies that his land reform programme has contributed to the crisis, blaming the effects of drought instead.

Zimbabwe's opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) says the situation is becoming unbearable.

"It's terrible right now because of shortages," Arthur Mutambara, leader of one of two factions of the MDC.

"Fuel is not available, commodities are unaffordable, unemployment 80%, inflation above 600%.

"It's a travesty of justice that the country has been so run down by Robert Mugabe's regime."

Food aid

Zimbabwe's leading millers - National Foods, Blue Ribbon and Victoria Foods - have shut production at most of their mills because of the wheat shortage, according to AFP.

International aid agencies say about 4.3m out of Zimbabwe's 13m people will require food aid until the next harvest in May.

The country has suffered increasing food shortages, rising unemployment and runaway inflation since the government began redistributing seized white-owned farms six years ago.

Economists say the rate of inflation could reach 1,000% by April.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:06:12 PM »

This is basically the equivalent of Iran having a fuel crisis.

Hopefully this all finally results in the people rising up giving Mugabe the boot.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 07:25:18 PM »

Sucks to be them.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 07:45:38 PM »

Hopefully this all finally results in the people rising up giving Mugabe the boot.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 09:24:05 PM »

This is where the politics of resentment invariably leads.  It's no surprise to me -- I've been predicting this since the Zimbabwe government took the land from the white farmers over the last 8 years or so.

I knew they would drive out the people who actually knew how to farm, and that famine would result.

Well, at least they got even with those rich white people.  I hope they can look back and say it was all worth it.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 09:28:53 PM »

Um... sounds like Mugabe should be strung up and hung on the nearest available pole... if he hasn't already.

As has been pointed out before, this is equivalent of Kansas having a wheat shortage, or a Saudi Arabia not having enough oil for its own uses.

It sounds like Mugabe is taking one of the last pieces of Africa that was actually run in a manner that is within a few orders of magnitude of efficiency and breaking it apart.

Hopefully, South Africa will decide to stop supporting them. Heck, at this point I'm starting to wonder if a few B-2's over Harare wouldn't do some good....

I really think John Bolton should go up to Mugabe or whoever his UN toady is and chew him out for turning the breadbasket of Africa into a basket case. One reason I like Bolton: because sometimes, you really need to sic a rottweiler on some foreign representatives! Tongue
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »

I bet Mugabe is planning to make certain all the upcoming starvation deaths occur amongst the opposition...
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 03:36:35 PM »

I bet Mugabe is planning to make certain all the upcoming starvation deaths occur amongst the opposition...
No, really? And the sky will be blue
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 04:41:32 PM »

Hardly surprising. It's the logical conclusion to Mugabe's vile policies.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »

No, really? And the sky will be blue
The sky will be blue?!?!?!? Why did nobody tell me?

Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 02:44:23 PM »

Again?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 03:03:21 PM »

I am somewhat surprised that these Zimbabwean blacks have demonstrated that they don't know how to farm the lands they seized.  One would have thought it would come naturally to them.... 
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 03:07:43 PM »

I am somewhat surprised that these Zimbabwean blacks have demonstrated that they don't know how to farm the lands they seized.  One would have thought it would come naturally to them.... 

The irony is, many if not all of the black farmers who worked on white owned farms or 'collaborators' as Mugabe called them, were paid a decent wage were also thrown out along with the owners.

Oh and in the news today Mugabe blames gay leader Peter Tatchell for financing a planned coup... Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 03:13:59 PM »

The agricultural labourers (who did all the work; in the context of Zimbabwe (and certain parts of the U.K) "farmer" basically means "agricultural landowner") were chased away and the machinery and outbuildings smashed up for fun. You can't run a farm without machinery without a hell of a lot of workers, and you can't run one at all without any.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 05:36:57 PM »

The agricultural labourers (who did all the work; in the context of Zimbabwe (and certain parts of the U.K) "farmer" basically means "agricultural landowner") were chased away and the machinery and outbuildings smashed up for fun. You can't run a farm without machinery without a hell of a lot of workers, and you can't run one at all without any.

Not to mention that Mugab hasn't exactly been resettling the farms with actual farmers...nope, political cronies as far as the eye can see...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 08:36:54 PM »

Mugabe is an idiot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: