Override Debate Slot Amendment to the OPSR
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:35:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Override Debate Slot Amendment to the OPSR  (Read 3247 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:13:37 PM »

Originally introduced by Ernest.
Reintroduced by Peter Bell.

§1. Article 3 Section 2 Clause 2 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution is hereby amended to read as follows:
“2. There shall be six slots available for debating legislation on the Senate floor.  Of these slots, two shall be available for any purpose; two shall be available for any purpose except the debating of Amendments to the Constitution; one shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article 7, Section 1 of this resolution; and one shall be available for debating veto overides pursuant to Article 5, Section 3.”

§2. Article 5 Section 3 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution is hereby amended by adding the following Clause 4:
“4. Upon a piece of legislation being vetoed by the President, if the slot reserved for debating overrides is empty, that legislation shall be moved to that slot and a new piece of legislation, if available, shall be moved into the vacated slot; but if the slot reserved for debating overrides is occupied, then debate shall take place in its current slot and it shall remain there until said debate is concluded, even if the slot reserved for debating overrides should be vacated.”
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 09:42:56 AM »

I rise in support of this legislation crafted by the former Senator for the Midwest.

Presently there is no actual capacity for the Senate to debate a veto override. I believe it is important that we have the opportunity to make such a consideration as new points raised by the President may be reason to pause for thought and further debate.

The amendment would also clarify various provisions of what we may be debating at any one time.

I commend this legislation to the Senate and ask for its approval.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 09:21:43 PM »

I ask a Senator bring forth the following amendment for me:

The first section of the bill shall now read as follows (changes in bold, do not add for final version of bill)

§1. Article 3 Section 2 Clause 2 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution is hereby amended to read as follows:
“2. There shall be seven slots available for debating legislation on the Senate floor.  Of these slots, three shall be available for any purpose; two shall be available for any purpose except the debating of Amendments to the Constitution; one shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article 7, Section 1 of this resolution; and one shall be available for debating veto overides pursuant to Article 5, Section 3.”
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 09:40:13 PM »

I don't think that the decision of opening an extra slot for forum affairs legislation should be left solely to the PPT; ideally, the Vice President should have the same powers in this regard.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 09:41:26 PM »

I ask a Senator bring forth the following amendment for me:

The first section of the bill shall now read as follows (changes in bold, do not add for final version of bill)

“2. There shall be seven slots available for debating legislation on the Senate floor.  Of these slots, three shall be available for any purpose; two shall be available for any purpose except the debating of Amendments to the Constitution; one shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article 7, Section 1 of this resolution; and one shall be available for debating veto overides pursuant to Article 5, Section 3.”

I'll introduce it for you, although I'm not 100% sure if I support it yet.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 07:55:35 AM »

Why don't we just add a 6th slot for a veto override? Why do we need to legislate all this down? Both of those amendments just cut down on the amount of bills that we can debate now and makes everything more complicated as to what can be debated in what slot.

All we need to do is add a 6th slot for the veto override.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 08:13:47 AM »

I don't think that the decision of opening an extra slot for forum affairs legislation should be left solely to the PPT; ideally, the Vice President should have the same powers in this regard.

There are several powers in the OSPR that are devolved only on the PPT but are also actually exercised by the VP in our activity, e.g. all the powers regarding legislation introduction are reserved to the PPT, but the power is regularly exercised by both as seen by the very introduction of this thread by the VP. I would say that the VP can happily move things to the fifth slot just as happily as he exercises concurrent authority over the rest of the Senate's affairs.

Why don't we just add a 6th slot for a veto override? Why do we need to legislate all this down? Both of those amendments just cut down on the amount of bills that we can debate now and makes everything more complicated as to what can be debated in what slot.

All we need to do is add a 6th slot for the veto override.

Have you actually read the particular part of the OSPR being replaced? I will just recite Article III, Section 2, Clause 2 for your benefit just in case:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The remainder of what can be debated is not changed in any way whatsoever. The only substantive change is the adding of an override debate slot.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 08:45:18 AM »

If I may be bold, I believe what the Senator from the Mideast is objecting to is the second section of this amendment, which specifies exactly how the override debate slot is to be used instead of leaving it to the discretion of the Presiding Officer.  Given the time wasted by contining wrangling and misunderstanding concerning the use of the forum affairs debate slot, I disagree with the gentleman from Wisconsin if that be his view.  Indeed, were I still in the Senate, I would be proposing either as a separate amendment to OPSR or as an addition to this, language to clarify the use of the forum affairs debate slot as well.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:12:26 AM »

Since there hasn't been much debate on this I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 11:12:57 AM »

Abstain
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 11:25:48 AM »

Abstain.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 11:55:12 AM »

Nay.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 12:28:43 PM »

Nay.

Having six pieces of legislation under consideration at once is IMO, too many to allow for the full and critical evalution that each piece of legislation deserves.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 12:47:50 PM »

I don't think this is in itself is unreasonable; therefore, I vote Aye

However, I can understand why some may feel that it's too much for the Senate to be getting on with at any one time. However, if passed, it could work

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 02:05:50 PM »

Abstain.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 09:29:02 PM »

Aye.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 10:21:23 PM »

After thinking about it...

Nay.

I think that if we have too many on the floor at the same time, then, as Peter Bell said, they won't get the full evaluation they deserve.

Although, I'm not 100% sure that bills get that as it is, anyway...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 06:57:04 AM »

I change my vote to Nay.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 12:42:08 PM »

I have also decided to change my vote to Nay.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 04:05:33 PM »

This amendment has failed.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »

Nay ftr.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 07:17:57 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this amendment to the OSPR. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

“2. There shall be six slots available for debating legislation on the Senate floor.  Of these slots, two shall be available for any purpose; two shall be available for any purpose except the debating of Amendments to the Constitution; one shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article 7, Section 1 of this resolution; and one shall be available for debating veto overides pursuant to Article 5, Section 3.”

§2. Article 5 Section 3 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution is hereby amended by adding the following Clause 4:
“4. Upon a piece of legislation being vetoed by the President, if the slot reserved for debating overrides is empty, that legislation shall be moved to that slot and a new piece of legislation, if available, shall be moved into the vacated slot; but if the slot reserved for debating overrides is occupied, then debate shall take place in its current slot and it shall remain there until said debate is concluded, even if the slot reserved for debating overrides should be vacated.”
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 07:18:46 AM »

Aye
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 07:20:56 AM »