Democrats Fumble Feingold's Grenade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:05:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats Fumble Feingold's Grenade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democrats Fumble Feingold's Grenade  (Read 3992 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006, 07:56:46 PM »

That statement, while silly sounding, was accurate, so there was nothing wrong with it.

Except that it played right into the Republicans' hands and made them able to capitalize on it to portray Kerry as a wishy-washy flip-flopper.

What matters in politics is not reality; it's the public's perception of reality.  I would even go as far as to say that reality is largely irrelevant if you're good at convincing the public of what you have to say.  It certainly helps if you have reality on your side, but it's by no means a sure thing if you do.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 07:58:03 PM »

Begging the question.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006, 07:58:57 PM »

This is in reference to...
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 08:02:14 PM »

The clown from California, but your post might be stupid too. I don't usually bother reading them.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2006, 02:50:10 AM »

For those comparing this to Clinton's impeachment here are some key differences

1. This is censure, not impeachment. Many Senate Democrats supported censuring Clinton.

2. Clinton only lied about a blow job. Bush has lied about everything else.

3. Currently Bush has an approval rating in the mid-30s, while Clinton was in the mid-60s for most of 1998.

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm
http://www.pollingreport.com/clinton-.htm

Jfern apparently cannot comprehend the difference between lying and perjury.  In Bush's case, he hasn't been placed under oath, so perjury is not an issue.  Whether or not Bush has lied has not been determined.  Whether or not a statute has been violated has not been determined and Jfern, and others, have raised the issue, but have not cited any evidence as of yet.

Clinton technically didn't lie when he said: "I did not have sex with that woman".

His statement, when he made that famous statement on television wasn't perjery; he wasn't under oath.  He did with his "That depends on what 'is' is," was.  As was his his statement in the Jones case.

However, Bush has not sunk to that level, for the simple reason, he's never been under oath.

The questions here are:

1.  Did Bush violate a statute?

2.  Is that statute constitutional?

3.  Does a violation of the statute rise to impeachable offense?

My answer to #3 would have been yes, prior to the Clinton impeachment trial; now I'm not sure.  My answer to #2 is probably.  My answer to #1 is, "Show me the evidence."

Fiengold effectively said, "Don't confuse me with evidence.  I want to say that we (meaning I) don't like it, if he did it, and it isn't impeachable."

It's a bit like claiming someone committed armed robbery, not proving that there was a robbery of any kind, and then saying if there was one, there won't be any penalty for the person who did it. 

It was stupid on so many levels that the Democratic Senate Conference did the right thing by ignoring it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies