Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:33:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage  (Read 6657 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 01:58:40 AM »

Now, hasn't every Region already set a minimum wage?  I'm pretty sure they have, so why do we need to federalize this?  Or would this just be setting a National minimum that the Regional minimum wages can't go under?

The Northeast hasn't, and unless something happened in the Midwest that I'm not aware of, they haven't either.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Midwest_Minimum_Wage_Act Smiley

Hmm, that's the last region I would have expected to set a minimum wage.

Never mind, then.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 02:37:53 AM »

So, can anyone give me a reason why this shoudln't be done by the regions?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 06:55:02 AM »

This amendment has passed.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 07:06:18 AM »

It will allow the Senate to establish a federal minimum standard - a threshold of decency

I applaud the my esteemed colleagues for passing Smiley this Amendment

'Hawk'
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 07:11:18 AM »

It will allow the Senate to establish a federal minimum standard - a threshold of decency

I applaud the my esteemed colleagues for passing Smiley this Amendment

'Hawk'

The whole amendment didn't pass, just Peter's amendment to it. Tongue
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 07:15:25 AM »

The whole amendment didn't pass, just Peter's amendment to it. Tongue

Well, I applaud my esteemed colleagues for passing Peter's amendment to it then Grin

It will take me a little time to get familiar with Senate legislative procedures

'Hawk'
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 01:22:32 PM »

Well can you give me the reason why this "thereshold of decensy" must be applied at the most centralized level possible?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 02:15:47 PM »

Well can you give me the reason why this "thereshold of decensy" must be applied at the most centralized level possible?

If it was left to the regions, and them alone, there could be too much a variation in the minimum wage between regions. I'd like to think that a federal minimum wage would avoid that

Still, I understand that, should this amendment pass, and the proposed Bill be subsequently passed and signed into law, the regions will still be permitted to set their own minium wage higher (but not lower) than the national standard. True, this would permit variation between regions but it's not unreasonable given that regions might wish to set it to a higher level to reflect the cost of living

It's a reasonable Amendment, and since I'm a reasonable man, who seeks to represent the best interests of the hard working Atlasians of District 4 and wider Atlasia, I wholeheartedly support it

'Hawk'
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 02:42:59 PM »

If it was left to the regions, and them alone, there could be too much a variation in the minimum wage between regions. I'd like to think that a federal minimum wage would avoid that

Still, I understand that, should this amendment pass, and the proposed Bill be subsequently passed and signed into law, the regions will still be permitted to set their own minium wage higher (but not lower) than the national standard. True, this would permit variation between regions but it's not unreasonable given that regions might wish to set it to a higher level to reflect the cost of living

It's a reasonable Amendment, and since I'm a reasonable man, who seeks to represent the best interests of the hard working Atlasians of District 4 and wider Atlasia, I wholeheartedly support it

'Hawk'
So, it is reasonable that regions may want to set a higher minimum wage to reflect a higher cost of living, but it isn't reasonabe that regions may want to set a lower minimum wage to reflect a lower cost of living?
What about different municipalities? What about if the people of one region  don't want to settle a minimum wage at all? Why deny them that right? Or do you just believe in the democratic process when you like its outcomes?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 03:01:25 PM »

So, it is reasonable that regions may want to set a higher minimum wage to reflect a higher cost of living, but it isn't reasonabe that regions may want to set a lower minimum wage to reflect a lower cost of living?
What about different municipalities? What about if the people of one region  don't want to settle a minimum wage at all? Why deny them that right? Or do you just believe in the democratic process when you like its outcomes?

In the first place, the Fair Minimum Wage Bill would propose that the minimum wage be set at $7.40 for those 18 or over and $5.75 for those 15-17. If that's excessive than I'm Margaret Thatcher

I believe in the democratic process whether the outcome is to my liking or not. There's no guarantee this amendment, if passed by the Senate, will be ratified. I'll be wholeheartedly supporting this amendment and opposing any reactionary effort against it

'Hawk'
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2006, 12:15:36 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2006, 12:20:04 PM by KEmperor »

In the first place, the Fair Minimum Wage Bill would propose that the minimum wage be set at $7.40 for those 18 or over and $5.75 for those 15-17. If that's excessive than I'm Margaret Thatcher

I believe in the democratic process whether the outcome is to my liking or not. There's no guarantee this amendment, if passed by the Senate, will be ratified. I'll be wholeheartedly supporting this amendment and opposing any reactionary effort against it

'Hawk'

You must be Margaret Thatcher then, because the federal minimum wage in real life is nowhere near $7.00, its only $5.15.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2006, 07:14:50 AM »

[....]

You must be Margaret Thatcher then, because the federal minimum wage in real life is nowhere near $7.00, its only $5.15.

Thats non-sequitur reasoning. Because the minimum wage would be much higher than it is now does not intrinsically mean that the minimum wage will become "excessive", it could simply mean that the minimum wage is pitifully low presently.

Ultimately I view the federal minimum wage as a safety net that should only kick in where a Region lacks a minimum wage or it is miserably low. The only Region that really fits this bill at present is the Northeast, it should not be used as a method of installing inflation-busting minimum wage increases across the nation. If a Region wants those, I'm sure its capable of exercising its legislative muscle and doing it itself.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 12:11:46 PM »

Furthermore, KEmperor, I was refering to the Sen. Gabu's proposed Fair Minimum Wage Bill, which would be next step - as far as a minimum wage is concerned - for consideration by the Senate in the event of the Amendment being passed and then ratified

I believe the minimum wage rates specified in this Bill are reasonable. Of course, you can agree to differ

'Hawk'
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2006, 10:39:18 PM »

[....]

Thats non-sequitur reasoning. Because the minimum wage would be much higher than it is now does not intrinsically mean that the minimum wage will become "excessive", it could simply mean that the minimum wage is pitifully low presently.

Ultimately I view the federal minimum wage as a safety net that should only kick in where a Region lacks a minimum wage or it is miserably low. The only Region that really fits this bill at present is the Northeast, it should not be used as a method of installing inflation-busting minimum wage increases across the nation. If a Region wants those, I'm sure its capable of exercising its legislative muscle and doing it itself.

All states in the Northeast Region have separate minimum wages that override federal laws.  Only New Hampshire has a minimum wage law that is equivalent to $5.15 an hour, the rest are higher.

Therefore, a Regional minimum wage in the Northeast, which would standardize things, would not create a minimum wage where one doesn't exist.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2006, 05:26:19 PM »

Here's the final verston of the Amendment:

The Senate shall have power to set a minimum wage, as it deems necessary throughout the Republic of Atlasia.

I hereby open up the final vote on this Amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2006, 05:27:02 PM »

Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2006, 08:37:01 PM »

Aye.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2006, 08:57:52 PM »

Aye.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2006, 09:01:01 PM »

Nay.  I don't have anything wrong with Peter's idea, but I fear too many people will try to use this as a way to do what Hawk is talking about and force the Region's to adopt high minimum wages.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »

Nay.  I don't have anything wrong with Peter's idea, but I fear too many people will try to use this as a way to do what Hawk is talking about and force the Region's to adopt high minimum wages.

There is nothing to fear

'Hawk'
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2006, 09:08:04 PM »

Nay. I see no reason why the minimum wage should be deal with at the national level, when it's fine already. I think it's best kept at a regional level, to adjust for regional differences in the cost of living.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2006, 06:50:13 PM »

Aye
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2006, 11:05:58 PM »

Aye.