Are people who enjoy living in urban inner cities idiots?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:55:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are people who enjoy living in urban inner cities idiots?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are people who enjoy living in urban inner cities idiots?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Are people who enjoy living in urban inner cities idiots?  (Read 2158 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2006, 11:40:54 AM »

Just wondering what all the suburb lovers here think...
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 11:43:04 AM »

No, but when they mindlessly bash other people's preferences and act like they are idiots for not sharing their preference then they are.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:20:15 PM »

Hasn't this been asked before?

It depends on what type of inner city.  If it's a high crime ghetto, then yes, people who like that are stupid.  But if it's a nice inner city area, then it can be a very nice lifestyle.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »

But if it's a nice inner city area

But I thought you claimed no such thing exists and that's why suburbs are the only decent place to live.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 12:46:35 PM »

But if it's a nice inner city area

But I thought you claimed no such thing exists and that's why suburbs are the only decent place to live.

Yawn.  Do you ever give it a rest?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 12:55:48 PM »

No, but when they mindlessly bash other people's preferences and act like they are idiots for not sharing their preference then they are.

^^^^^^
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 12:57:24 PM »

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "DAMN...that was fun!"

Ain't it the truth?  Well, I enjoyed the infamy while it lasted, but I do like the new sig.  Smiley

BRTD, I enjoyed the high-density environments I have lived in (Mission Hill and Spanish Harlem) for the interesting sights and sounds.  Some caribbean woman grabbing me and making me dance with her every time I passed by.  The tantalizing smells of Indian, Paki, and East Asian foods wafting from the apartment windows above.  The multitudes of languages spoken on the streets and the fact that no one gives you a second glance if you're doing something weird that'd get you stared down in the suburbs.  But that was then.  This is now.  And I have a small child, and the suburbs, with the long blades of green grass, and relatively pollution-free air and lower crime rates all hold more appeal.  As do the (usually) better schools.  I think people who enjoy living in high density environments simply have different priorities than I do.  I know this because I once shared their priorities.  But they are not idiots.  Also, I have never lived far out in the country, or on a mountop, or on a secluded tropical isle, but have visited such places, and know that they all hold some appeal as well.  But the very low density environments don't suit me at the moment either. 
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 02:54:44 PM »

no, I live in Wayne county but it's not really a urban inner city
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 06:06:17 PM »

I'm fortunate enough to live in the inner city, 10 minutes from the city and 5 from the beach. I love it, although it is now, unfortunately, quite gentrified.

I will never, as long as I live in a major city, live more then 15 minutes from the CBD of that city. If anyone is an idiot, it's the person who lives one and a half hours out in the heart of suburbia; but they may find something that is appealing about that.

As for me, I'm perfectly happy to live in my little borough-urban, cosmopolitan, diverse and exciting...even if there are too many yuppies.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 06:28:06 PM »

I'm in the middle of North Philly and love it.  It is surprisingly safe, you know your neighbors, it's exceptionally convenient.  Everybody got use to me.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 06:40:40 PM »

No, but people are definitely idiots who make a billion threads about how their opinion of suburbs is somehow universal law.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 07:09:57 PM »

I'm in the middle of North Philly and love it.  It is surprisingly safe, you know your neighbors, it's exceptionally convenient.  Everybody got use to me.

I wonder what dazzleman thinks of that.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 07:04:10 AM »

Who cares? Get rid of the damn boner you and your buddies have for dazzleman and stop making all these damn pointless threads!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 07:08:02 AM »

If it works for J.J., why would I question it?  Everybody has to make their own choices.  If everybody made the same choices, the world would be a boring place.  Good for J.J.  I'm glad he's happy where he lives.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 07:33:36 AM »

There's nothing wrong with preferring to live in the city, or even hating the suburbs. Its only that most would agree in general the suburbs are desirable place to raise a family.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 10:04:08 AM »

We might conceivably be masochists, but we certainly aren't idiots. Smiley

(There's this German comic movie, 20 years old now, where the protagonist is hired as an entertainer in a retirement home, and after he's sung his first song, one old guy goes "I like it. But then, I liked the First World War trenches too.")
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 10:23:38 AM »

There's a high probability that I'll be moving to an inner city area (and a proper one in a reasonably large and quite deprived city at that) fairly soon, so I'd be a wee bit of a hypocrite if I thought that people who like such areas are idiots Smiley
Now, you certainly are an idiot if you like the idea of living in certain parts of certain inner cities, but that seems to be a different question...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 10:29:09 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't want to live in South Kensington or most parts of Frankfurt's West End either. Cheesy
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 10:37:58 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't want to live in South Kensington or most parts of Frankfurt's West End either. Cheesy

Exactly Grin

It's just not possible to live in South Kensington unless you are disgustingly rich.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 11:39:57 AM »

If it works for J.J., why would I question it?  Everybody has to make their own choices.  If everybody made the same choices, the world would be a boring place.  Good for J.J.  I'm glad he's happy where he lives.

so why don't you take the same attitude toward me?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »

so why don't you take the same attitude toward me?

You try to shove it down our throats and think people who live in suburbs are stupid and stuff like that, J.J. doesn't do that.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »

BRTD you seem to be obsessed with this issue. From my perspective you can live wherever the hell you want. Just don't try to prevent me from living wherever the hell I want.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 03:46:56 PM »

BRTD you seem to be obsessed with this issue. From my perspective you can live wherever the hell you want. Just don't try to prevent me from living wherever the hell I want.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies