Mississippi bans sex toys
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:40:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi bans sex toys
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support this?
No / Democrat

Yes / DINO

No / Republican

Yes / Republican

No / Other

Yes / Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Mississippi bans sex toys  (Read 6034 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2006, 11:52:02 PM »

Hahaha, stupid law.

It does remind me of when I was developing a number of townhouses on an in-fill parcel and a sex shop got approved on an adjacent parcel despite my best efforts. They got that thing up in a matter of weeks complete with giant flashing neon signs. My sales rate dropped by almost 75%. That stupid place cost me many thousands of dollars in carrying costs and I had to drop my prices. I can laugh about it now, and I cerainly don't think they should be banned or made obsolete by laws such as this one - but they should be controled by zoning better in some areas. They do effect their neighbors property values, and as such can do actual financial harm.

No, it was not the sex shop which lowered your property values, nlm, it was the intolerance of your target market.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2006, 06:32:35 AM »

I honestly could really care less if sex toys are sold or not.  Prince William County only has three adult shops (that I am aware of), and they are all ran by one company.  You have to know where these shops are in order to see them from the road (causal commuter would never notice them).  If the intention of Mississippi is just to keep it out of view of the public, there are easy ways to pull that off.  If it is a fundamental legislation, then let it go to the public to see if it has majority appeal.
nlm
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2006, 07:15:14 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2006, 07:36:19 AM by nlm »

Hahaha, stupid law.

It does remind me of when I was developing a number of townhouses on an in-fill parcel and a sex shop got approved on an adjacent parcel despite my best efforts. They got that thing up in a matter of weeks complete with giant flashing neon signs. My sales rate dropped by almost 75%. That stupid place cost me many thousands of dollars in carrying costs and I had to drop my prices. I can laugh about it now, and I cerainly don't think they should be banned or made obsolete by laws such as this one - but they should be controled by zoning better in some areas. They do effect their neighbors property values, and as such can do actual financial harm.

No, it was not the sex shop which lowered your property values, nlm, it was the intolerance of your target market.

Perception is reality in the financial market place Opie - you may not like that, and you may want to blame everything on intolerance, but if the market perception is that certain folks will be coming to a shop to jerk off in black curtained rooms, a lot of families will not be wanting to live at that location any longer and any potential buyer that has the least clue will understand that the reduction in the potential market segment reduces the value of their investment. Whining about intolerance doesn't fix the problem that such places create nor does it provide reparations for the actual financial harm done to home owners and investors by such places being permitted by local building departments near their locations.

As I noted earlier - I have no problem with such places existing, just a problem with them being allowed zoning in residential areas.

Edit - and it should be noted, most building departments and zoning commisions would never allow such a place to go up in a residential area to begin with, so what I'm talking about is hardly a wide spread problem - just one that I happened to encounter once and found the local government to be a group of morons for allowing it to happen, and the mayor did ultimately lose his job during the next election - and the sex shop was an issue that played into that - but, the shop is still there last I heard and I never will see a dime I lost because of the shop - sh*t happens, and as long as it doesn't happen all that often - whatever.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

It makes perfect sense....I don't like the fact that I have a liquor store 3 miles from my house...unless I am the customer.  If I could reasonably order booze over the internet, I would vote to outlaw the sale of alcohol in my county.

If someone didn't like the fact that there was a church 3 miles from their house, would they be justified in banning its existence?

Well, freedom to worship and assemble is explicitly protected by the US Constitution...but running a sex toy shop or liquor store isnt....I am sure this law will be upheld in the courts.

There are dry counties in Texas, and if a county or state can ban the sell of alcohol after the era of prohibit, I'm sure they can also ban the sell of sex toys.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2006, 11:41:21 AM »

It makes perfect sense....I don't like the fact that I have a liquor store 3 miles from my house...unless I am the customer.  If I could reasonably order booze over the internet, I would vote to outlaw the sale of alcohol in my county.

Why? How does that liquor store affect you negatively?

Because I don't want a lot of the customers around where I am driving with my kids, and I don't want the drunks around me to have quick access to booze.  Duh.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2006, 11:53:02 AM »

OK, are you afraid of running into people using dildoes on the street or something if a sex shop was near you?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2006, 02:13:42 PM »

OK, are you afraid of running into people using dildoes on the street or something if a sex shop was near you?

The store would not just have married people as customers, but also the sexually immoral and perverted.  Besides, anyone with common sense would order stuff like this off the internet, it not like you can test drive the thing in the store.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2006, 12:08:20 AM »

Perception is reality in the financial market place Opie - you may not like that,

I do not like or dislike that - I simply do not care about it.  Why should I care what happens to the value of your shanties?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not the one whining, you are nlm - about your petty property values.  Eat your loss and shut up.  It is not our responsibility to ensure you a profit in your speculations.  The 'problem' is not created by the sex shop, but by the vagaries of your market (stupid people).  If you choose to base your financial house upon such, you should not whine about it to me when it collapses, because I could not care less.

HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2006, 04:44:32 AM »

Id rather a child picked up a sex toy left lying around than a gun....

I'd rather become a paraplegic than a quadraplegic.  That doesn't mean I'm eager for either, though.
nlm
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2006, 07:24:51 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2006, 07:28:47 AM by nlm »

Perception is reality in the financial market place Opie - you may not like that,

I do not like or dislike that - I simply do not care about it.  Why should I care what happens to the value of your shanties?

When folks become more concerned with their ideological fantasies than reality - they make themselves irrelevant in terms of moving the country forward. You are as dettached as the most blantly brainwashed wingnuts that you would see fed to lions - but not clever enough to note it. I see it on the left and the right, but you stand as the shining example of irrelevance dettached from reality on this board. You've also provided a sharp reminder of why I typically avoid speaking with the loopiest members of this little community - MODU has that part right. Doh - stupid Opie responding to half sentences in an attempt to be clever.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2006, 11:10:50 AM »

Better watch out.  They might pull it out of the package, throw in some batteries, and threaten you with it.  hehehe
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »

Isn't the right to have a sex toy protected in the Consitution as amatter of free will?  Where do these wingnut states get off doing this sh*t?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2006, 07:54:40 PM »

Isn't the right to have a sex toy protected in the Consitution as amatter of free will?  Where do these wingnut states get off doing this sh*t?

The right-wingers do not believe in any right to privacy, you know.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2006, 06:47:29 AM »

In the Constitution, "the right to have a sex toy" is immediately after "the right to chicken done right."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies