Where in the world am I?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:18:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Where in the world am I?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where in the world am I?  (Read 1731 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2006, 04:16:11 PM »
« edited: March 27, 2006, 12:01:42 AM by hughento »

Here's how it works: I post a clue as to a location I am in. Later, I post a second clue, then a third. If you get the city on the first clue, you get 3 points; 2 points for the second clue; one point for the third clue.

Once I post the clue, send me a PM with your answer. I'll be able to determine after which clue you sent in by the timestamp.

You may only guess once per location, so there are some tactics involved-go early and you can get the most points, but it's riskier; some clues are pretty hard to decipher. Some locations will be a lot easier to figure out then others.

LEADERBOARD

1-Tredrick (1 point)
1-MichaelZ (1 point)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »

LOCATION ONE

Clue 1

A green city, once a grey city, and a long-term brown city.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:18:11 PM »

LOCATION ONE

Clue 2

Under the skin of this cit is a musical soul, and a strong drive for sporting success.

Nobody correctly guess one clue one.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 09:28:17 AM »

LOCATION ONE

Clue 3

A quick motor from this city finds you in another country, but you have to go over diplomatic waters.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »

You seem bored.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 10:06:59 AM »

myeh. i've had some guesses, so it's not a total flop, but nopbody has gotten it yet-which is surprising. I thought clue 2 really gave it away. If not, it's pretty much spelt out in clue 3.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 11:26:13 AM »

It would help if I knew what COUNTRY you are in. I have a possible guess, but it would require you to be in the US....
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 11:43:59 AM »

You are in Detroit, Michigan.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 09:47:03 PM »

You are meant to PM, but yes-and with that, the contest for the first location ends, with only one point being awarded, to tredrick.

Dan-Most locations will give clues to the c**ntry, considering this is an American board I decided to make it all about the city.

Here were the clues (some are pretty obscure):

"A green city, once a grey city, and a long term brown city"

If you go to Google maps you will see large sections of it's inner city are now Green, due to the depopulation of the city center. It used to be 'grey'. The 'brown' clue refers to the large African-American population. I was going to go with black but it was a bit too obvious for a three-pointer, even if it is more PC. Also, the large amount of Arabs can be represented under brown, even if, again, it isn't all that PC.

"Under the skin of this city is a musical soul, and a strong drive for sporting success."

Skin is a very very vague clue relating to detritus-detroit. Musical soul is probably pretty clear; strong drive comes from the whole motor city thing, and sporting success alludes to the rather mixed fortunes of it's many sporting teams.

"A quick motor from this city finds you in another country, but you have to go over diplomatic waters."

Quick...another country-very near the border. Motor from this city-that should have given it away once and for all as Motor City, Detroit. 'Over diplomatic waters' Have to go over a passage of water, but it can indeed be driven over...on the Ambassador Bridge.

So only Tredrick scores a point. Location two shortly.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 09:49:08 PM »

LOCATION TWO

Clue 1

This European city has a long history, and many tall tales have been told in it's pubs and, more recently, clubs.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 12:44:17 AM »

LOCATION TWO

Clue 2

A Eurovision host, this city has gone all-in in it's attempt to become an internet and IT hub, and it's economy has significantly improved over the last decade or so.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 08:20:13 AM »

A few guesses so far.

LOCATION TWO

Clue 3

The faces of it's citizenry aren't what makes this city the capital of stone, but it's well-regarded and established architecture could be the origin of this eastern city's title.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 08:57:40 AM »

we have our first correct answer.

I'm going to bed; I'll close this contest and start the next in the morning.

Remember to analyse every part of the clue; it can make it clearer.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 05:43:40 PM »

Comp over. Despite the many guesses, only one person got it right-Michael Z, with Tallinn.

I'll post the analysis later. Heaps of people thought it was Dublin-I sort of tried to mislead everyone on that Wink

LOCATION THREE

Clue 1

You're in a town where the first flag of it's nation was raised, but it's not a capital.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 09:18:31 PM »

LOCATION THREE

Clue 1

You're in a town where the first flag of it's nation was raised, but it's not a capital.

Good grief, the number of towns that could fit this first clue must number in the double digits, maybe in the single digits if the town was never a capital.  I don't mind obscure clues, but these vague clues make early round guesses just that, guesses.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 12:32:34 AM »

I dunno, Philadelphia?

Hugh, I thought you were in Melbourne Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 02:28:45 AM »

LOCATION THREE

Clue 2

This hot city's taipans were fought off by the Powderpuff Girls.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 03:02:19 AM »

LOCATION THREE

Clue 2

You mean the Powerpuff Girls? I've never even seen a single episode and I knew that was wrong... Tongue
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 03:13:59 AM »

Comp over. Despite the many guesses, only one person got it right-Michael Z, with Tallinn.

W00t! I rule, etc. Cheesy
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 07:06:58 AM »

LOCATION THREE

Clue 2

You mean the Powerpuff Girls? I've never even seen a single episode and I knew that was wrong... Tongue

whoops, yes you are right.

LOCATION THREE

Clue 3

They may have been aided by a large sugar hit, maybe some bananas; a few tropical fish and a kangaroos steak.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2006, 07:24:05 AM »

OK, analysis of clues for location two (Tallinn, Estonia):

"This European city has a long history, and many tall tales have been told in it's pubs and, more recently, clubs."

'European'-obviously, it's in Europe. 'long history'=not terribly specific, but yeah; it's an old city. 'tall tales'-TALLinn. Whenever I use a turn of phrase that seems a bit out-of-place, it's usually a clue of some kind. 'IN...pubs'-inns. Again, tallINN. 'More recently, clubs'-Fall of Soviet Union and westernisation and civil liberation since '91.

'A Eurovision host, this city has gone all-in in it's attempt to become an internet and IT hub, and it's economy has significantly improved over the last decade'.

This clue was designed to, along with the first clue, mislead people into guessing Dublin (and quite a few did...) It's all true of Tallinn, although it might not be as successful as Dublin with the whole IT thing. The only real clue to associate it with Tallin is all-in; tALLINn. I thought it'd have to be quite a clear hint if the rest of the clue was so inspecific.

'The faces of it's citizenry aren't what makes this city the capital of stone, but it's well-regarded and established architecture could be the origin of this eastern city's title.'

'capital of stone'-who the hell has head of a city known as the capital of stone? Clearly, that means something more then it lets on-Tallinn is the capital of Estonia. This was also designed to mislead a little re:Dublin, which has a lot of stone buildings. (I wanted Dublin to be the obvious answer unless you actually analysed it). Tallinn is famous for it's architecture, some of the best left in Europe post-WW2, but that whole bit was mainly to get ESTablished in there. It's a very minor clue, but along with stone it just might've sparked something in the subconcious about Estonia. 'Eastern' is pretty self-explanatory, and there was the whole Dublin being on the east coast of Ireland thingie, but by now people were probably already committed to or against Dublin. There was a reason for 'title' but I can't remember it now Tongue

So after all that, Ernest, so you see that my first clue for location three maybe wasn't quite so bare?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2006, 09:37:19 PM »

OK, analysis of clues for location two (Tallinn, Estonia):

"This European city has a long history, and many tall tales have been told in it's pubs and, more recently, clubs."

'European'-obviously, it's in Europe. 'long history'=not terribly specific, but yeah; it's an old city. 'tall tales'-TALLinn. Whenever I use a turn of phrase that seems a bit out-of-place, it's usually a clue of some kind. 'IN...pubs'-inns. Again, tallINN. 'More recently, clubs'-Fall of Soviet Union and westernisation and civil liberation since '91.

So after all that, Ernest, so you see that my first clue for location three maybe wasn't quite so bare?

Considering that my guess of Kaliningrad, Russia with its recently founded club dedicated to Baron Munchausen of whom many famous tall tales have been told and who has long been associated with Konigsburg, fit your first clue without any torturous puns, yes.

Add in the fact that in American English inns and pubs have zero connection and that I still don't get the clubs reference even after you you explained it, doubly yes.  Your Detroit clues were much better.  I'll wait until you reveal the last location.  I'll guess Singapore, but its purely a guess.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 12:01:04 AM »

The next one was going to be Singapore, but I was still fiddling around with clue two. They were going to be 'Some people believe the citizens of this city are inpenetrable, but that isn't true.' 'Straight away, a wealth of knowledge an be found, and you'll quickly discover the vibrancy and pace of the population'--needed a lot of work, especially after 'straight away,'. 'You'll experience stuff not possible elsewhere-you can watch cricket whilst eating curry and talking in Mandarin in this central city.' Also needed work.

Location three was Townsville; no correct guesses but quite a few for Melbourne.

'You're in a town'-very vague clue. For the other locations I've always used city, town was sort of an indicator. 'not a capital'-not a capital. That should've narrowed it down some more-not a national capital, nor state capital either (as Melbourne is). There is very little in this clue to give you a strong indication, but it becomes useful for future clues. 'first flag'-the first aussie flag was flown in Townsville; that again didn't scream 'Townsville' but with the surther clues was an indicator.

I don't like giving away three points Wink

'This hot city's Taipans were fought off by the Powderpuff Girls'

As pointed out, this should have been Powerpuff.

'hot city'-it's in a hot area. 'Taipans were fought'-Cairns taipans are Townsville's most hated foe in our Basketball league. That one is rather too aussie-centric, but it was mainly so I could work in 'Powerpuff Girls', who fight all the enemies of the city they live in-Townsville. That was the first really shouting clue, but it was dependant on people knowing anything about the Powderpuff Girls.

'They may have been aided by a large sugar hit, maybe some bananas; a few tropical fish and a kangaroo steak.'

'sugar hit'-Townsville is in the sugar growing area of Australia. 'bananas'-and just south of the banana region. 'tropical fish'-great barrier reef. 'kangaroo steaks'-Australia (so it's a sugar/banana/tropical fish region of Australia; therefore it's Northern Queensland, which basically leaves three options-Cairns, Townsville and Rockhamptoon. With the previous mention of 'Town', and the flag thing, and the powderpuff girls, I expected someone to get it).

That was a very hard one, btw. Location 4 is a bit easier.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies