is your state's cigarette tax....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:17:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  is your state's cigarette tax....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .....
too high

too low

just right

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: is your state's cigarette tax....  (Read 2908 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2006, 05:51:03 PM »

http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/cigarett.html

massachusetts cigarette tax is only $1.51, which is far too low.

i support a cigarette tax of at least $2.50 per pack.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 05:53:46 PM »

Too low at $1.35 a pack. Should preferably be around $5.00 a pack.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 05:56:27 PM »

I think NJ's is $2.40.  I think it's too low.

Rin-chan
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »

$1.50, too high.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:06:16 PM »

In BC the tax is 17.9 cents per cigarette.  I don't know offhand how many cigarettes there are in a pack, so someone else is going to have to fill that in before I can compare this with other tax rates.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:06:58 PM »

.41; too low.  But 1.50 is way too high.  A dollar sounds right.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 06:24:14 PM »

In BC the tax is 17.9 cents per cigarette.  I don't know offhand how many cigarettes there are in a pack, so someone else is going to have to fill that in before I can compare this with other tax rates.

A standard pack is 20 cigarettes so BC's tax is CAN$3.78 or US$3.24 at today's exchange rate.

Anything under $1 per pack is too low anthing above $5 per pack is too high right now.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »

A standard pack is 20 cigarettes so BC's tax is CAN$3.78 or US$3.24 at today's exchange rate.

Oh, okay.

BC, oddly enough (given its reputation for liking marijuana) is one of the strictest places I know of when it comes to cigarettes, so that high amount does not surprise me.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 06:47:59 PM »

$0.30, too low. I think between $0.75 - $1.00 is about right.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 06:54:03 PM »

too high  $2 dollars a pack 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 07:02:46 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2006, 07:12:24 PM by jfern »

Wow, California ranks only 23rd with $0.87. Clearly too low, but the crazy right-wing Republicans won't agree to raise any taxes no matter what. Stupid rule requiring a 2/3rds majority of both branches to raise taxes.

That rule is a large part of California's fiscal problems. The Republicans in the state legislature tend to be insane wingnuts. In 2003, they were pourposefully doing nothing, so that Gray Davis would get recalled. Horrible horrible people.

In any case, Republicans in states like New York or Vermont tend to be FAAAAR more liberal. Pataki decided to act all conservative as part of his plans for running for President, and the New York State Senate, which is controlled by the Republicans, unamiously overrode his vetoes a whole bunch of times to raise taxes by $10 billion.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 07:30:38 PM »

Wow, Alaska ranks 7th at $1.60.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 07:36:06 PM »

$1.50, which seems about right.  Maybe a tad higher.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 08:50:45 PM »

In general, I think that taxes should be a low percentage of the economic value of any product.

By this measure, cigarette taxes in most places are too high.

I am not a smoker, but I think that such high taxes on a particular legal product constitute effective a political 'ganging up' on the minority of people who smoke by the majority that doesn't smoke.

I hate cigarettes and would never smoke, but I think it's an abuse of the political system to keep targeting smokers to pay inordinate amounts for cigarettes so the rest of us don't have to pay more.

In addition, such high cigarette taxes encourage bootlegging and facilitate the expansion of organized crime in the business of cigarette distribution.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 08:59:24 PM »

Just right
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 09:13:29 PM »

In general, I think that taxes should be a low percentage of the economic value of any product.

I am not a smoker, but I think that such high taxes on a particular legal product constitute effective a political 'ganging up' on the minority of people who smoke by the majority that doesn't smoke.

I hate cigarettes and would never smoke, but I think it's an abuse of the political system to keep targeting smokers to pay inordinate amounts for cigarettes so the rest of us don't have to pay more.

In addition, such high cigarette taxes encourage bootlegging and facilitate the expansion of organized crime in the business of cigarette distribution.

People should not be smoking due to health reasons.  High cigarette taxes do the smoker a favor; the more they spend, the more likely they are to realize they're dumbfcks and kick the habit.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 09:17:54 PM »

Georgia (my 'adopted' state) at 37c per pack is reasonable Smiley but I'm heading towards Missouri Grin.

Until 3.00AM (GMT) I'm sporting a R-MO avatar

Dave
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 09:22:12 PM »

People should not be smoking due to health reasons.  High cigarette taxes do the smoker a favor; the more they spend, the more likely they are to realize they're dumbfcks and kick the habit.

There are lots of things people shouldn't do for health reasons.  It's really not the government's job to punish people for doing something that is bad for their health.

Smokers are just a convenient target because their defensiveness and shame about their habit prevents them from fighting back.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 09:42:11 PM »

Wow, California ranks only 23rd with $0.87. Clearly too low, but the crazy right-wing Republicans won't agree to raise any taxes no matter what. Stupid rule requiring a 2/3rds majority of both branches to raise taxes.

That rule is a large part of California's fiscal problems. The Republicans in the state legislature tend to be insane wingnuts. In 2003, they were pourposefully doing nothing, so that Gray Davis would get recalled. Horrible horrible people.

In any case, Republicans in states like New York or Vermont tend to be FAAAAR more liberal. Pataki decided to act all conservative as part of his plans for running for President, and the New York State Senate, which is controlled by the Republicans, unamiously overrode his vetoes a whole bunch of times to raise taxes by $10 billion.

Not to threadjack, but we brought that on ourselves in a way.  By gerrymandering, we made the dem seats safe, and the remaining districts in which we stuffed all the solid republican areas were hardcore.  It's a normal side effect of gerrymandering.  I bet Texas (republican gerrymandered) has some real loonie leftists in the few districts where they stuffed all the solidly democratic voters.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 09:43:11 PM »

I bet Texas (republican gerrymandered) has some real loonie leftists in the few districts where they stuffed all the solidly democratic voters.

Look no further than Sheila Jackson Lee.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 09:44:57 PM »

Smokers are just a convenient target because their defensiveness and shame about their habit prevents them from fighting back.

I fightback, dazzle. I blew my stack at a recent Labour Party meeting. Basically, in light of 90-days detention for terror suspects being rejected, and a 'total' smoking ban being approved, by the Commons; I stood there and said the Commons had their priorities wrong

Dave

Good point.  What is a 'total' smoking ban?  No smoking in any public places?

I don't have a problem with public smoking bans.  I hate the smell of cigarettes, plus it's unhealthy, so I generally support banning smoking where it can inflict the smell on other people against their will.

I also find it interesting that those most concerned with punishing smokers seem to have a more tolerant attitude toward drugs.  Which is worse?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »

I fightback, dazzle. I blew my stack at a recent Labour Party meeting. Basically, in light of 90-days detention for terror suspects being rejected, and a 'total' smoking ban being approved, by the Commons; I stood there and said the Commons had their priorities wrong

Dave

Not any. Pubs, clubs, restaurants that kind of thing. Cinemas, threatres, much of public transport banned them over a period of time. I don't have a problem with that

I agree with a blanket ban where food is served, but failing that bans should be a matter for the pub's owners, or the club's members, to decide

But bearing in mind that 90-days detention for terrorist suspects was rejected, such a ban that goes beyond where food is served only rubs salt into it

Dave
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 09:59:20 PM »

Dave

Not any. Pubs, clubs, restaurants that kind of thing. Cinemas, threatres, much of public transport banned them over a period of time. I don't have a problem with that

I agree with a blanket ban where food is served, but failing that bans should be a matter for the pub's owners, or the club's members, to decide

But bearing in mind that 90-days detention for terrorist suspects was rejected, such a ban that goes beyond where food is served only rubs salt into it

Dave

The terrorist detention is a separate issue, but surely it should take priority over anything smoking-related.  Why is the left side of the spectrum so willing to sacrifice the lives and security of millions to protect terrorists?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:05 PM »

The terrorist detention is a separate issue, but surely it should take priority over anything smoking-related.  Why is the left side of the spectrum so willing to sacrifice the lives and security of millions to protect terrorists?

Because we hate America, silly.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 10:17:52 PM »

They are, indeed, separate issues but you had some in my party saying that that 90-days detention went too far yet the intended smoking ban didn't do far enough. In answer to your question:

Why is the left side of the spectrum so willing to sacrifice the lives and security of millions to protect terrorists?

Because they are misguided

My MP supported the government on 90-days detention but voted for the total smoking ban. At least, she was half right Smiley. My consituency Labour Party is split between the more libertarianly-minded (albeit by-and-large anti-smoking) City delegates and the more populist-inclined District  delegates

Forgot to mention, that the total smoking ban was "unmanifestotutional" (as far as Labour go anyway) and I opposed it for that reason as much as any other

Dave
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies