Democrats for Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:10:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Democrats for Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Democrats for Bush  (Read 11253 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2004, 02:43:41 PM »

Democrats' Miller will hustle for GOP's Bush

By JIM GALLOWAY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

U.S. Sen. Zell Miller, Georgia's rebellious Democrat, said Tuesday he will campaign at President Bush's side throughout the year.

Miller's first task in trying to seal the Republican president's re-election grip on his crucial Southern base will be to introduce Bush at a $2,000-a-head fund-raiser Thursday in Atlanta.

The lame-duck senator is to be accompanied by "other Georgia Democrats" who also will endorse the president, according to the Bush-Cheney campaign. But Bush officials would not identify the other Democrats.

Miller first endorsed the president for re-election in October. High-ranking Republicans said discussions about an active campaign role for the former Georgia governor proceeded from there.

"I think it was more or less understood. I'm not very much of an inactive person," Miller said Tuesday in a telephone interview. "I have said and strongly believe that the next five years will be crucial for the America my children and grandchildren will inherit. I want a commander in chief like George Bush. I want a man who doesn't suffer from analysis paralysis."

Miller, who in his first term as governor gave the keynote address at the 1992 Democratic National Convention that nominated Bill Clinton for president, said he doesn't know where or how he will be used by the Bush campaign. He would not rule out appearances in television ads generated from the $131 million already raised for the president's re-election effort.

"We are grateful for Zell Miller's support and look forward to campaigning with him over the next 10 months," Bush campaign spokesman Reed Dickens said. Miller also would act as "a top surrogate for the president," Dickens said.

State Democrats were somber, if not sullen, at the development.

"It's disappointing, but it's old news," said state Rep. Calvin Smyre (D-Columbus), who is stepping down as Georgia party chairman.

Bobby Kahn, a long-time ranking Democrat and a candidate to replace Smyre, said: "Senator Miller spent four decades building the Democratic Party in Georgia. He's undoing all of that in the twilight of his career, and it's a sad thing to watch."

Bush polls strongly in the South, but Miller's assistance could be crucial in Florida, for example, which still is considered competitive. One top Republican said Miller could become an important figure in such states as New Mexico and Arizona and in parts of the Midwest.

"This is a huge help for President Bush," said Merle Black, an Emory University political scientist who has studied the rise of Republicans in the South. "It's very interesting that [Miller] is even doing this."

Less than two years ago, Miller cut TV ads for a host of Democratic candidates in Georgia, including Gov. Roy Barnes, who was ousted in the 2002 election by Republican Sonny Perdue.

Black said Miller registers very well with the 10 percent of conservatives who identify themselves as Democrat and that he could be the one to lead them into the Republican fold -- although the senator himself refuses to switch parties.

Miller will introduce Bush in the same Georgia World Congress Center ballroom where on Monday evening he heaped praise upon the president in front of 1,500 members of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce. The senator had just returned from a week-long tour of Iraq.

Each person attending the Atlanta dinner received a copy of Miller's new book, a scathing critique of his fellow Democrats titled "A National Party No More."

In his speech, Miller compared Bush to legendary British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and condemned "Hollywood weenies" who opposed the war against Saddam Hussein.

"Sometimes, a short war must be fought to prevent a longer war," Miller, a former Marine, said. "Sometimes, the long view of history must be taken."
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 02:47:26 PM »

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=14
jravnsbo

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 02:49:22 PM »

Yes but new news in that Zell will campaign for him not just have his endorsement.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 02:50:31 PM »

Hm...it seems party switches comes naturally to Georgians! (GWBFan, anyone?) Smiley

Sorry GWBFan, the tempation on this one was simply too much!:) Smiley Grin Wink
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 02:54:53 PM »

Hm...it seems party switches comes naturally to Georgians! (GWBFan, anyone?) Smiley

Now  Be Nice.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 03:01:24 PM »

Georgia is equalled only by PA for habitual vote spliting, unpredictible changes in opinion and general bloody minded voting.

Not that this is a bad thing; an independent streak is always nice to see in the U.S
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 03:36:51 PM »

Now  Be Nice.

Don't worry, it's a joke between me and GWBFan, I checked it with him before, and I don't think he minds. It was just a little too obvious to resist... Smiley
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 08:01:32 PM »

Now  Be Nice.

Don't worry, it's a joke between me and GWBFan, I checked it with him before, and I don't think he minds. It was just a little too obvious to resist... Smiley

lol  Quite alright.

But.

Zell hasn't switched parties.  He's still a Democrat, just planning on voting Republican in at least one office this election year - which doesn't at all qualify as a party switch.  Just to clarify.  lol
jravnsbo

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 08:14:34 PM »

It was further announced today that int he coming day 9 more prominent GA Democrats plan to endorse President Bush and help his campaign.  Included among them are Frmr Carter AG Griffin Bell and a state senator.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 09:27:11 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2004, 09:35:49 AM by Michael Zeigermann »

Call me a cynic, but I think Zell Miller simply wants to avoid Max Cleland's fate by sweet-talking Republicans in GA (careerism, in other words).
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 09:45:08 AM »

Zell isn't running again so that wouldn't be the case.  The more likely cynical option would be that he is promoting his new book Smiley
jravnsbo

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 10:20:21 AM »

explain?  Zell is a 2 term gov and won election to senate ina landslide.  He is very popular and not running for reelection.  

Cleland strayed off towards the liberal side and got toasted for it.

Call me a cynic, but I think Zell Miller simply wants to avoid Max Cleland's fate by sweet-talking Republicans in GA (careerism, in other words).
jravnsbo

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »

ok you know I want a Bush decal on my board, tell me how please!

Zell isn't running again so that wouldn't be the case.  The more likely cynical option would be that he is promoting his new book Smiley
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 10:45:26 AM »

Not the case.  Zell Miller is the single most popular Georgia politician.  Georgians, Republican and Democrat alike, love the guy and always have.  He could have come out totally against Bush and Georgians, for the most part, would still love him (I even would, just for the good he's done for this state).  With Cleland, he was only loved and respected by half of the state - the half that is Democratic.  Miller is loved by everyone.

The fact that Miller, a Democrat, is endorsing Bush, a Republican, is HUGE in Georgia - maybe even huge in the entire South.  It will influence those old southern Democrats who think the Democrats of today - Clinton's day - are still the Democrats of FDR's day - which they clearly are not.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 10:51:58 AM »

Go to your profile and the signature area

Put img inbetween brackets.

Copy this url http://www.georgewbush.com/images/downloads/GWB_logo_100.gif

Then put /img inbetween brackets

ok you know I want a Bush decal on my board, tell me how please!

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 10:58:53 AM »

My Howard Dean logo started this all. LOL... All Dean supporters!  Put the logo in you signature!
jravnsbo

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 11:43:53 AM »

Miami=trendsetter!

Ok I'm doing something wrong yet, but what??

My Howard Dean logo started this all. LOL... All Dean supporters!  Put the logo in you signature!
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 01:16:10 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2004, 01:16:36 PM by htmldon »

I must admit I did put it in mine after seeing Miami's Smiley  But I did think of it earlier but thought it might be tacky, but now I don't want my President to be left out!

you need to replace that first slash after img with a ], and put in a [ before the traling /img
jravnsbo

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2004, 02:24:38 PM »

Oh yeah!!!!  Vote Bush!

Thanks Buddy!
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2004, 03:23:27 PM »

do you know how to do it for john kerry
jravnsbo

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2004, 03:30:02 PM »

I'd go to the kerry website and find a picture.  Then the key is the IMG and [  ], do it like explained above

do you know how to do it for john kerry
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2004, 03:40:40 PM »

i think im an idiot i cant do it
show one show me lol the website is:

http://www.johnkerry.com/images/thumbnails/buddyicon.gif
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2004, 03:45:48 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2004, 03:46:11 PM by TheWildCard »

Okay right click the picture copy and paste the URL and put it in between  in your signature.
jravnsbo

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2004, 03:46:06 PM »

Ok I'll look

opens the kerry website slowly... unknown territory LOL

WONK
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2004, 03:47:55 PM »

Kerry's head is too big so please no pictures of him.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies