Jackie Kennedy v Barry Goldwater 1964
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Jackie Kennedy v Barry Goldwater 1964
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jackie Kennedy v Barry Goldwater 1964  (Read 6206 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2006, 01:13:10 PM »
« edited: March 25, 2006, 01:55:30 PM by Winfield »

As you know, the widow of a deceased office holder sometimes becomes that party's candidate for the next election.

President Lyndon B. Johnson does not seek a term as President in 1964 due to heart problems.

The Democrats prevail upon, and are successful, in convincing President John F. Kennedy's widow, Jackie Kennedy, to become the Democratic Presidential nominee in 1964.

Jackie chooses experienced and respected Minnesota Senator Hubert H. Humphrey as the Vice Presidential nominee.

The Republicans choose Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater for President and New York Congressman William Miller for Vice President.

Discuss please.
Results.
Maps.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 12:42:59 PM »

Well?..........
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 01:29:01 PM »

A third party candidate would emerge. Jackie would not have the experience and much of the country would not wish to burden her with job of running the country through sympathy rather than anything else.

The USA was not ready for a female president in 1964.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 07:02:57 PM »

Thank you for your input.  You have raised some excellent points.

My take on what might have happened.

Jackie becomes overwhelmed with the campaign and the demands of a Presidential candidate after two weeks.  Jackie meets privately with Hubert Humphrey and asks him to replace her as the Presidential candidate.

Humphrey readily agrees, and picks Senator Henry Jackson of Washington for Vice President.  This ticket is immediately ratified by the Democratic National Committee.

The Humphrey/Jackson ticket goes on to win a landslide victory over the Goldwater/Miller ticket.

Hubert Humphrey realizes his lifelong dream of becoming President of the United States.

kashifsakhan
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 03:15:33 AM »

The only reason why Jackie Kennedy would get any votes would be due to her looks and charm. But overall she would get creamed.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 04:22:04 PM »

The only reason why Jackie Kennedy would get any votes would be due to her looks and charm. But overall she would get creamed.

Am I a bad person for taking that sexually at first?
kashifsakhan
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 03:58:35 AM »

Am I a bad person for taking that sexually at first?

Yes, yes yor are....
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »

There is intense speculation following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on 22nd November 1963.  Americans and the world watch spellbound by his lavish funeral, as his grieving First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy and children mourn him publicly. 

On 29th November 1963, the president's widow addresses the nation on television.  Jackie Kennedy thanks all the words of condolence have received, her speech is emotional and powerful, her voice cracks as she tells the watching public that:

"Every citizen upon earth has been free to express their grief and condolences at the death of my husband; there is no greater monument nor tribute to Jack than the appreciation of every person in the world, to love and mourn his memory in freedom."

The First Lady ends her speech:

"But the death of my husband and president has only reinforced my conviction in his crusade, to bring freedom to every American, and peace to every person on earth."

Following her television address the Gallup poll finds Jacqueline Kennedy is the most admired public figure in the world.  Soon afterwards, Attorney General Robert Kennedy quietly begins sounding out support for his sister-in-law to become the Democratic Presidential candidate in 1964.  Although Vice President Lyndon Johnson ascended to the office upon the death of Kennedy, many Northern liberals in the Democratic party have questioned his commitment to the policies and ideals of the late president.  They decide to join the draft-Kennedy movement.

On 13th December 1963, a CBS News Reports Special centres around the topic: 'Mrs Jacqueline Kennedy, President of the United States?'  The programme features interviews with Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts, who says that he knows his sister-in-law is commited to her late husband's cause; Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota, also interviewed, says that he wishes she would run for president.  A week later, a Gallup poll finds that 41% of Americans would support a Jackie Kennedy candidacy for President, while only 19% would not favour her candidacy.  The poll also finds that Americans approve of their First Lady 95% to 3%. 

This is followed by intense press speculation over Mrs Kennedy, who has remained shrouded in the White House since her TV address.  The Washington Post, the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times all devote front-pages to discussion of Jackie Kennedy for president. 

On 22nd December 1963, a month after her husband's assassination, Mrs Kennedy appears in public at a memorial dinner for the president.  As well as the Kennedy family and friends such as Frank Sinatra, are President Johnson, former Presidents Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower, former British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan, New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, Civil Rights leader, the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. and prominent members of Congress.  At the dinner Mrs Kennedy is toasted following an eloquent speech in which she reaffirms her commitment to JFK's Civil Rights programme, she says: "Perhaps there is a moment in time where an ordinary person is chosen for greatness, or called to its task.  At this moment, I devote myself to the greatness of the task ahead in place of my husband."  News reporters all over the world understand this as a formal declaration for office on behalf of Mrs Kennedy.

The news electrifies people all over America, especially women and blacks.  The Democratic Women of Massachusetts endorse Mrs Kennedy for the presidency and the Mississippi Freedom Conference also calls for her to accept public office.  President Lyndon Johnson watches with dismay as the Democratic party organisation in the North and East gets behind Jackie, effectively managed by Robert Kennedy. 

On 10th January 1964, a Gallup poll finds that Jacqueline Kennedy leads Lyndon Johnson for the Democratic Presidential nomination by a vote of 62% to 29%.  Gallup also surveys voters on the prospect of Kennedy vs. Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater, the First Lady leads him 69% to 12%.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 07:32:58 PM »

Excellent alternate scenario, Adlai.  Thank you.

Most interesting.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:59:38 PM »

I pretty much agree that a presidential campaign would just overwhelm Jackie in her time of grief. Especially since she has no campaign experience what so ever. Provided that she stays in the race, people would see her as emotionally unstable and not in well enough mental health to run the country. Results:

Kennedy/Humphert - 44% - 187 EVs
Goldwater/Miller - 56% - 351 EVs
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 07:02:15 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2010, 09:16:30 PM by Henry "Scoop" Jackson »

Jackie wins 349-189 due to the huge sympahty vote and her aggressive attacks on Goldwater as an extremist who will cut Social Security and other social programs and drag the country into a nuclear war. Jackie also makes it clear during the campaign that Humphrey will be (informally) the real power behind the scenes during her Administration.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »

A woman wouldn't have won then. Stop dreaming.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 09:17:40 PM »

A woman wouldn't have won then. Stop dreaming.

lol. Women could vote for 44 years in 1964. I don't think the country was that sexist back then. Women also composed half the nation's voters, so that would have helped Jackie Kennedy a lot.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »

Wow.  Comes back after four years.

How did you even find this?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »

Threads this old should not be bumped!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 10:00:30 PM »

I looked back at the earliest posts in this thread and found it. I posted in it because I found this scenario to be very intriguing. Next time I guess I'll just repost the scenario myself in a new thread instead of bumping this one.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »

I looked back at the earliest posts in this thread and found it. I posted in it because I found this scenario to be very intriguing. Next time I guess I'll just repost the scenario myself in a new thread instead of bumping this one.

That's the way you do it. It would save me a lot of trouble since I wouldn't have to report your useless bumping.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »

I still don't see a woman winning in 1964. It couldn't be done in 2008.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 08:35:26 PM »

I still don't see a woman winning in 1964. It couldn't be done in 2008.

Hilalry would have won the general election in 2008 in a landslide had she been nominated. The reason she wasn't nominated was because she and Bill made some campaign mistakes and because Obama was an exceptionally talented candidate that typically comes along once every generation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies