Puerto Rican Statehood Act of 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:30:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Puerto Rican Statehood Act of 2006  (Read 20095 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2006, 01:24:52 PM »

I. After a majority vote of the citizens of Puerto Rico voting in the affirmative for statehood in a referendum administered five days after the passage of this act by the territorial government of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is hereby entered in the Union of Atlasia as the 51st state under the name of Puerto Rico.
II.   The Senate shall vote on which region/district Puerto Rico shall be designated into.
III.   The State of Puerto Rico shall be given full rights from whichever district/region it’s placed into and be under full jurisdiction of the Atlasian constitution.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 02:21:32 PM »

Who would be a "citizen" of Puerto Rico, if registrations there are prohibited?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 03:19:21 PM »

I see imperialism is alive and well. Roll Eyes
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 03:35:30 PM »

Who would be a "citizen" of Puerto Rico, if registrations there are prohibited?

Well True Dems "there" right now and he might stay if it's passed and the people of Puerto Rico vote for statehood. And really there's no reason not to give them statehood, they deserve to have the full rights of any citizen of the other 50 states.

Yes! Grin
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 04:21:24 PM »

Well True Dems "there" right now and he might stay if it's passed and the people of Puerto Rico vote for statehood.
I think that Q's point is, if there are no voters currently registered in Puerto Rico, who will vote in the referendum required by clause 1?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »

I'll simulate a vote, much like the last time this legislation was passed (9th session).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »

For my part, this liberationist movement and the seizure of control by Tue Independent in Puerto Rico has gone on too long and I'll be addressing this matter in a speech later today at the Atlasian Federation for Democracy Annual Dinner later this evening

It's time Puerto Rico joined the Republic lock, stock and barrel and became the 51st state, with equal constitutional status to all others. Of course, it's for the Puerto Ricans to decide but the actions of True Independent can't be condoned

'Hawk'
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »

How is it imperialism to ask the citizens of what is already a territory of a country to decide whether or not they want to become a full-fledged state?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 08:52:26 PM »

Because of the difficulties of map making should Puerto Rico become a state, I am against Puerto Rican statehood.  I am in favor of allowing a Commonwealth government established there, with fantasy powers equivalent to those of the real life Puerto Rican government.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 08:54:35 PM »

Because of the difficulties of map making should Puerto Rico become a state, I am against Puerto Rican statehood.  I am in favor of allowing a Commonwealth government established there, with fantasy powers equivalent to those of the real life Puerto Rican government.

Actually, it's not difficult at all.  Just change the year in the link you get from EV Calc to 2008 and add a bit at the end that says "&PR=x;y;z":

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 08:55:47 PM »

So we should just cave in and give him Statehood, I for one will oppose this just for that reason.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 08:57:52 PM »

So we should just cave in and give him Statehood, I for one will oppose this just for that reason.

No, we're going to give the option to the Puerto Rican citizens to choose for themselves how they want to respond.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 09:31:19 PM »

Actually, it's not difficult at all.  Just change the year in the link you get from EV Calc to 2008 and add a bit at the end that says "&PR=x;y;z":

That works for now, if you know the secret, but somehow, I expect Dave will change that when he starts needing 2008 for 2008 and not for fantasy purposes.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 09:33:24 PM »

This would not even be under consideration if whatsisname had not moved there and started a bunch of trouble.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 09:46:20 PM »

And I was considering the argument we should use the genusmap to determine which states should be valid and invalid and since there was no PR, it should not be valid. So much for that one.

This bill needs something declaring which state PR borders, which is probably Florida.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 11:15:23 PM »

That works for now, if you know the secret, but somehow, I expect Dave will change that when he starts needing 2008 for 2008 and not for fantasy purposes.

If he knows it's being used, he'll probably leave it in for 2012.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2006, 11:16:47 PM »

As Governor of Puerto Rico, I do not approve of this bill.  If it is passed, there will be no public referendum under my watch.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 11:17:07 PM »

As Governor of Puerto Rico, I do not approve of this bill.  If it is passed, there will be no public referendum under my watch.

Why are you such a prick?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 11:20:17 PM »

As Governor of Puerto Rico, I do not approve of this bill.

Hear that?  It's the sweet sound of nobody caring!

BTW, it seems strange that the Governor of Puerto Rico would live in Washington... which is where you are registered.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 11:26:24 PM »

As Governor of Puerto Rico, I do not approve of this bill.

Hear that?  It's the sweet sound of nobody caring!

BTW, it seems strange that the Governor of Puerto Rico would live in Washington... which is where you are registered.

That's only because the imperialistic fascist government says that.  I am the legally elected governor of Puerto Rico with a written constitution.  I would again like to urge all foreign nations to recognize the rightful autonomy of Puerto Rico.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 11:29:45 PM »

I am the legally elected governor of Puerto Rico

In the same sense that Bandit73 is the legally elected president of New America, yes.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 11:37:36 PM »

I should add that if a fair referendum were held i would have no problem with Puerto Rican Independance.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 11:39:53 PM »

I am the legally elected governor of Puerto Rico

In the same sense that Bandit73 is the legally elected president of New America, yes.

There is a legal constitution which I was elected under.  This government needs to finally admit that is an imperialist state that does not give rights to its people.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2006, 03:55:52 AM »

How is it imperialism to ask the citizens of what is already a territory of a country to decide whether or not they want to become a full-fledged state?

Becuase that territory just happens to be outside North America(and before you mention Hawaii, uyes that was a bad idea too, but now we can't go back), not to mention that it is a third worldish hellhole waiting for pork and even more federal money.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2006, 04:00:15 AM »

Becuase that territory just happens to be outside North America(and before you mention Hawaii, uyes that was a bad idea too, but now we can't go back), not to mention that it is a third worldish hellhole waiting for pork and even more federal money.

Actually, Puerto Rico is part of North America. But I don't see why some arbitrary continental boundary ought to be of any substantive significance anyways.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies