Puerto Rican Statehood Act of 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:58:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Puerto Rican Statehood Act of 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Puerto Rican Statehood Act of 2006  (Read 20093 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2006, 04:11:37 AM »

I see imperialism is alive and well. Roll Eyes

How is it imperialism to ask the citizens of what is already a territory of a country to decide whether or not they want to become a full-fledged state?

Becuase that territory just happens to be outside North America(and before you mention Hawaii, uyes that was a bad idea too, but now we can't go back), not to mention that it is a third worldish hellhole waiting for pork and even more federal money.

Actually, Puerto Rico is part of North America. But I don't see why some arbitrary continental boundary ought to be of any substantive significance anyways.

It's in the Caribbean Plate. And you kindly ignored the second half of my post.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2006, 05:14:02 AM »

I see imperialism is alive and well. Roll Eyes

How is it imperialism to ask the citizens of what is already a territory of a country to decide whether or not they want to become a full-fledged state?

Becuase that territory just happens to be outside North America(and before you mention Hawaii, uyes that was a bad idea too, but now we can't go back), not to mention that it is a third worldish hellhole waiting for pork and even more federal money.

Whether or not they'd want pork, I'm not sure why that makes this "imperialism", given that Puerto Rico is already considered part of the country (given that people who are born there are citizens who can run for the presidency).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2006, 05:44:45 AM »

Speaking for the state of Washington, I can say that we are perfectly happy if True Democrat wants to think that he's living on a former island somewhere.

I also like how a former President has flown to an unpopulated island to start a rebel government.  Only in Atlasia.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 05:50:43 AM »

Speaking for the state of Washington, I can say that we are perfectly happy if True Democrat wants to think that he's living on a former island somewhere.

I also like how a former President has flown to an unpopulated island to start a rebel government.  Only in Atlasia.

No, I'm pretty sure Jimmy Carter did that once, too.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 08:50:07 AM »

I am opposed to this bill for much the same reasons as my esteemed colleague from District One: the Senate should not simply bow to political pressure when one person decides to make waves.

To that end I wish to propose a hostile amendment:

The content of the bill is struck and is re-titled "Puerto Rican Controversy Bill" with the following content:

Whereas,
1. Former President True Democrat has attempted to register in Puerto Rico and has such registration declined by executive order,
2. Former President True Democrat has declared himself Governor of Puerto Rico, made demands for Regionhood and subsequently declared independence.

The Senate resolves that,
1. The President's Executive Order denying all registrations outside of the Regions of the Republic of Atlasia is affirmed.
2. The President is authorised to use necessary means to maintain the Rule of Law under the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia in Puerto Rico.
3. Pursuant to clause 2, the Senate authorises the President to suspend the Writ of Habeas Corpus in Puerto Rico should he consider that an actual state of Rebellion exist within Puerto Rico.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 09:43:15 AM »

I am opposed to this bill for much the same reasons as my esteemed colleague from District One: the Senate should not simply bow to political pressure when one person decides to make waves.

Actually, True Democrat has openly come out against this bill because he wants Puerto Rico to be its own independent country (or something along those lines).

Therefore, supporting this bill is going against what he wants.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2006, 10:50:13 AM »

While I don't oppose Peter's bill and would like to see it passed I will be voting against it because this bill was made originally to give Puerto Rico statehood if they want it, not this.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »

Admitting Puerto Rico as a state that will join one of Atlasia's 5 extant regions will prohibit it from being used as the base of further grandstanding by disgruntled parties, for an overall positive net result.

I urge my Senators to pass this legislation and push for the incorporation of Puerto Rico into the Southeast Region, since it lies closest to Florida's shores.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »

I urge the Senate to reject this piece of legislation as soon as possible.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2006, 08:40:05 PM »

I urge the Senate to reject this piece of legislation as soon as possible.

If this isn't the strongest argument in favor of its passage, I don't know what would be.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2006, 08:40:27 PM »

Oh, also, if passed, this bill is unconstitutional.  I don't the federal government can force an independent country to vote on statehood.  That violates quite a few international laws.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2006, 08:42:04 PM »

Oh, also, if passed, this bill is unconstitutional.  I don't the federal government can force an independent country to vote on statehood.  That violates quite a few international laws.

Atlasia still owns Puerto Rico plus we don't deal with dictators who claim to own part of Atlasia.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2006, 08:43:03 PM »

International law is a vague notion at best; meeting the provisions of the Atlasian Constitution is another matter altogether.

Which clause(s) of the Constitution would this bill violate?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2006, 08:45:24 PM »

International law is a vague notion at best; meeting the provisions of the Atlasian Constitution is another matter altogether.

Which clause(s) of the Constitution would this bill violate?

Where in the constitution does it say the Atlasian government can impose its laws and rule over an independent country?  For example, could you make the Candadian statehood act?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »

For example, could you make the Candadian statehood act?

Sure, but it would just be silly to add the imaginary country of Candad to our union.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2006, 12:30:42 AM »

Admitting Puerto Rico as a state that will join one of Atlasia's 5 extant regions will prohibit it from being used as the base of further grandstanding by disgruntled parties, for an overall positive net result.

I urge my Senators to pass this legislation and push for the incorporation of Puerto Rico into the Southeast Region, since it lies closest to Florida's shores.

Section 2 of the Miscellany Act will have to be amended by this bill to include Puerto Rico.
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Miscellany_Act#Section_2:_Contiguity_Borders
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2006, 12:43:52 AM »

Good point.  I'll introduce this amendment:

A fourth section shall be added as follows:

IV: Section 2 of the Miscellany Act shall be amended, following a majority of the citizens of Puerto Rico voting in the affirmative to grant Puerto Rico statehood, to contain a clause 4, the text of which shall be as follows: "Puerto Rico is contiguous to Florida"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2006, 12:59:11 AM »

Having a State that is only contiguous to one other State is likely to cause problems for redistricting.  Hist think of New York.  While Florida is the closest State geographically, in real life Puerto Rico is part of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit along with Maine, New Hampshire, Massachsetts, and Rhode Island.  We could end the redistricting blockade of New England by having Puerto Rico be adjacent to one or more of the States of the First Circuit  in addition to either Flordia, because of its geographical proximity, or New York and New Jersey due to the fact that most Puerto Ricans living on the continent live in one of those two states.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2006, 01:23:38 AM »

I suppose you have a point; although it seems extremely unlikely to me that the combined populations of Florida and Puerto Rico could exceed the maximum allowed in any given district, it's nonetheless a possibility to be considered.

Since we have the ring of CA-HI-AK-WA, it seems to me that the logical thing to pin it against would be Maine, unless you have any strong objections to that.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2006, 07:09:11 AM »

I hereby open up the vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

The content of the bill is struck and is re-titled "Puerto Rican Controversy Bill" with the following content:

Whereas,
1. Former President True Democrat has attempted to register in Puerto Rico and has such registration declined by executive order,
2. Former President True Democrat has declared himself Governor of Puerto Rico, made demands for Regionhood and subsequently declared independence.

The Senate resolves that,
1. The President's Executive Order denying all registrations outside of the Regions of the Republic of Atlasia is affirmed.
2. The President is authorised to use necessary means to maintain the Rule of Law under the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia in Puerto Rico.
3. Pursuant to clause 2, the Senate authorises the President to suspend the Writ of Habeas Corpus in Puerto Rico should he consider that an actual state of Rebellion exist within Puerto Rico.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2006, 07:10:14 AM »

Nay, while I don't really oppose the amendment this isn't what this bill was meant to do. Now if Senator Bell would like to introduce his amendment as a new bill I'm sure Q and I would be happy to bump it up.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 07:15:02 AM »

Nay.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 08:55:55 AM »

Nay, for pretty much the same reasons MasterJedi said.  I think both bills are good, even though I’m not entirely sure I support adding Puerto Rico as a state, (the main reason being no one on the forum really lives there,) but I still think the idea deserves to be voted on.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »

Aye
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »

Nay, but I'll happily vote for Peter Bell's bill if presented separately. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies