Is Arkansas a swing state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:10:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Arkansas a swing state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Arkansas a swing state?  (Read 4031 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2004, 02:40:34 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2004, 02:42:19 AM by Smash255 »

Arkansas is not a swing state, but I think it will go safely Democrat when the runner is a moderate southerner. Same with Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia & Missouri. The only states in the south that will never go Democrat are South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama & Texas.

SC is supposedly pretty close, though no recent polls prove that assumption.  Mississippi has a large African-American population, so maybe if something could get more of the A/A population to vote, I think MS could one day go Dem.

I think it will be hard for Miss to go Democrat  The Republicans have a stronghold on the racist vote.  No disrespect to anyone from Mississippi, but it has traditonally been one of the most racist states in the country.  In 2000 Bush had something like 90% of the white vote.   One way Missippi could go Dem is if someone like Rice runs on a VP ticket for te Republicans.  The African American vote will still be heavily Democrat despite having Rice on the  Republican ticket and the racists would stay home
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2004, 02:47:41 AM »

The attitude exemplified by "Smash", my friends, is WHY the south does not vote Democrat.

The liberals seem to be under the impression that all of us down here are a bunch of racists.  Because the north, of course, has no history of racism.  I mean, its not like they brought the slaves over here on their merchant ships or anything......

If Bush getting 90% of the white vote is built on "racism", then why would Gore getting 90% of the black vote not be equally racist?  OHHH.. thats right... in liberal-land, blacks cannot be racist!

Arkansas is not a swing state, but I think it will go safely Democrat when the runner is a moderate southerner. Same with Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia & Missouri. The only states in the south that will never go Democrat are South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama & Texas.

SC is supposedly pretty close, though no recent polls prove that assumption.  Mississippi has a large African-American population, so maybe if something could get more of the A/A population to vote, I think MS could one day go Dem.

I think it will be hard for Miss to go Democrat  The Republicans have a stronghold on the racist vote.  No disrespect to anyone from Mississippi, but it has traditonally been one of the most racist states in the country.  In 2000 Bush had something like 90% of the white vote.   One way Missippi could go Dem is if someone like Rice runs on a VP ticket for te Republicans.  The African American vote will still be heavily Democrat despite having Rice on the  Republican ticket and the racists would stay home
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2004, 02:57:40 AM »

The attitude exemplified by "Smash", my friends, is WHY the south does not vote Democrat.

The liberals seem to be under the impression that all of us down here are a bunch of racists.  Because the north, of course, has no history of racism.  I mean, its not like they brought the slaves over here on their merchant ships or anything......

If Bush getting 90% of the white vote is built on "racism", then why would Gore getting 90% of the black vote not be equally racist?  OHHH.. thats right... in liberal-land, blacks cannot be racist!

Here Here Don
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2004, 03:16:15 AM »

Word.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2004, 04:19:01 AM »

Clinton came within 5% of taking MS in 1996. A Dem win at some point is certainly possible.
Bush did *not* win 90% of the White vote in MS.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2004, 08:29:47 PM »

Huzzah!  Huzzah!

(Err... did I just say that?  It must be my Hoosierness.  Let me shrink off into a corner now Embarrassed)

Anyway, there's about a 99.99999999999999999% chance that the Republicans will win Mississippi's EVs this year... the only chance is if the Republicans nominate Arnold Schwarzenegger Cheesy Tongue
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2004, 09:49:20 PM »

Clinton came clost in MS becaues he's a bubba from a neighboring state.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2004, 12:34:40 AM »

Just wanted to make a correction.  Bush did not get 90% of the Mississippi white vote, it was 81%, I meant to say almost 90% because I was thinking of the white male vote which was 87% according to exit polls
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2004, 01:51:27 AM »

Harry is a rare species indeed then.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2004, 03:54:09 AM »

Just wanted to make a correction.  Bush did not get 90% of the Mississippi white vote, it was 81%, I meant to say almost 90% because I was thinking of the white male vote which was 87% according to exit polls

That doesn't add up unless there was a very, very, very, very high black turnout.

MS results in 2000:

Gore: 40.7%
Bush: 57.6%

Bush didn't crack 80% in a single county
---
I hate exit polls
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2004, 12:06:31 PM »

Mississippi is about 1/3 black, so about 30% of Gore's 40 was the black vote. That means Gore's other 10% was from the white vote, which means out of the white vote total he got around .1/.6666666.... which is 15%. So you have 85%, take away the third party vote and you have around 81%
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2004, 01:21:13 PM »

Mississippi is about 1/3 black, so about 30% of Gore's 40 was the black vote. That means Gore's other 10% was from the white vote, which means out of the white vote total he got around .1/.6666666.... which is 15%. So you have 85%, take away the third party vote and you have around 81%

The number of blacks voting is always less than their population.
Admittedly, MS is *the* worst state in the South for racial voting... so 80% is *just about* possible... but I doubt it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2004, 02:15:14 PM »

Admittedly, MS is *the* worst state in the South for racial voting... so 80% is *just about* possible... but I doubt it.

The black population in MS is about 36% so accounting for the fact that blacks tend to vote less than whites assuming 30% of the vote was black the projections make sense and tend to back the exit polls
khirkhib

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2004, 05:05:50 PM »

Well the user predictions are only 10 votes away from becoming making Arkasas a toss-up.

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/USPRESIDENT/GENERAL/CAMPAIGN/2004/pred04.php?action=statepred&fips=5

User Predictions
Difference between Lean and Toss up for Lean Bush states
AK 11
TN 36
AZ 51
LA 68
CO 102
VA 121

Difference between Lean and Toss up for Lean Kerry states
MN 8
MI 115
ME 145
WA 150

Fairly accurate, a little bit of democratic optamism.  Dave how does the poll average the votes to decide if it is strong, lean or toss-up.  Is it it straight up which ever catagory has the most votes or do their have to be more toss ups than lean and strong combined to make it a toss up.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2004, 05:49:48 PM »

He takes the median of the predictions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2004, 04:03:20 AM »

The black population in MS is about 36% so accounting for the fact that blacks tend to vote less than whites assuming 30% of the vote was black the projections make sense and tend to back the exit polls

It makes sense because you *want it* to make sense... I'd guess that Bush won about 75% of the white vote in Mississippi (it's impossible to tell accurately though).
Mississippi is the worst state in the U.S for racial voting (to risk understatement) and the whites-in-MM-areas-leaning-Democrat doesn't apply to the extent that it does in, say, Alabama...
80% is *just about* possible...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies