Is the Iraqi government Islamist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:33:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is the Iraqi government Islamist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the Iraqi government Islamist?
Yes

Yes, but that's not a bad thing

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Is the Iraqi government Islamist?  (Read 500 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2006, 01:32:01 PM »

It's pretty much agreed, even the media says so at times. Yet there are still people that defend it and argue that it's still a good government. This means that there is such a good thing as a good Islamist government. How anyone who is not a Muslim can view Islamism as a good thing completely boggles my mind. I say Islamism is ALWAYS a bad thing, just like Christian theocracy. Therefore, any Islamist goverment is bad.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 01:52:23 PM »

I don't like political Islam, but if the Iraqis voted for the UIA (which contains such parties as the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq) they deserve what they get... West Iran.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 05:54:43 PM »

Define 'Islamist'.

Is Iraq a theocracy? No.  There is no one 'national' religious body that holds true power. In fact, even Sistani's Shiah cannot be considered a 'national' faith, as at present it would be impossible for the Shiah to effectively rule Iraq without cooperation from the Kurds, who are mostly Sunni. Compare to, say, Iran, in which Ayatollah Khameini holds most of the strings of power, and the government exists essentially at the behest of one particular Shiah sect, or the Taliban in Afghanistan, who were basically religious "Scholars" who seized power and made religion and state one.

Does the government favor Islam over other religious beliefs? Yes it does. Do some of Iraq's major political parties have affiliations with religious groups, particularly Islamic ones? Yes they do. Is this a bad thing? Generally yes, but remember that there are zero nations in the entire Middle East which have elected governments without religious affiliations of any sort (Israel, Turkey, and even India are guilty of this as well- India's BJP has strong connections with various Hindu branches).

Another food for thought: England could, if you look at it through a distorted lens, or perhaps turn back the clock a couple of hundred years, be considered a theocracy. After all, the Church of England is pretty closely wedded to the state, and I think the titular head of the Church is the Queen (although the Archbishop of Canterbury actually runs the show). Now, Iraq isn't exactly England, but it would be equally absurd to consider it a full theocracy.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 09:40:19 AM »

The constitution is setup as such so it would not be an over-bearing Islamic theocracy (the Kurds would never go for it).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies