Day 65: Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:50:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Day 65: Germany
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 65: Germany  (Read 2022 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:54:27 PM »

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/gm.html

Discuss.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:17:55 AM »

I wonder how history would have changed if Queen Victoria had been King Victor instead and Hannover had remained subject to the British crown.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 01:51:18 AM »

A much better country than the USA.  I would happily trade my citizenship with any German if it were possible.  Not only is the lifestyle of the average person far better, they have a much better economy overall, with large trade surpluses.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 06:36:51 AM »

I wonder how history would have changed if Queen Victoria had been King Victor instead and Hannover had remained subject to the British crown.
People would have actually bothered to point out that Victor had not been fathered by his "father". Grin
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 08:18:58 AM »

Beautiful country with a wonderful history and excellent food and beer to boot. Smiley
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:21:36 AM »

My home away from home. And I second StatesRights's post. Smiley
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 09:13:58 AM »

Well the german sausage and beer is good...
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:35:06 AM »

A much better country than the USA.  I would happily trade my citizenship with any German if it were possible.  Not only is the lifestyle of the average person far better, they have a much better economy overall, with large trade surpluses.

HAHAHA . . . you crack me up, son.  Anyway, do I need to research the immigration information on Germany for you like I did Denmark?  You know, I will be more than glad to drive you to the airport and drop you off for your one-way flight out of here.  Heck, I might even shed a tear when you get on the plane.  HAHAHA
TB
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:38:18 AM »

Denmark to Ejderen!!! No just kidding. Great country. I have many German friends and love to go there. The country has so many interesting places and cities and beautiful landscapes. A good friend of mine is studying in Göttingen while another is at the University of Nuremberg. Having said all of that I must say that I am not too big a fan of German food. I love the beer, but I never really liked the food that much. My maternal family originates from the Jewish community in Bremen.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 12:15:32 PM »

My maternal family originates from the Jewish community in Bremen.

There's a statue of the Town Musicians of Bremen in Bremen.  We lived in Bremerhaven, about twenty minutes north of Bremen, for about a year when I was young, and I thought it was nifty that there was a statue of the donkey, dog, cat, and cock in the town center.  As a small child, I noticed the dog feces on all the sidewalks in that part of Germany.  Lots of feces in northern West Germany.  Netherlands is like that too.  Noticed that when I worked in Amsterdam a few years ago.  I took a train from Netherlands to Germany one weekend to visit some friends that I hadn't seen in years.  It was pleasant.  Generally my impression of Germany is that it is a very clean country, compared to most other countries I've either lived in or visited.  Well, with the exception of the ubiquitous canine evacuate.  You don't see the strips of paper, bubble gum, oil stains, french fries, and cigarette butts everywhere like you see in, for example, Peru or Mississippi or New York or Mexico.  I'm no particular fan of German food either, or their beer.  Luckily you can get Belgian beer in Germany, just like you can in the USA.
TB
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 01:41:43 PM »

There's a statue of the Town Musicians of Bremen in Bremen.  We lived in Bremerhaven, about twenty minutes north of Bremen, for about a year when I was young, and I thought it was nifty that there was a statue of the donkey, dog, cat, and cock in the town center.  As a small child, I noticed the dog feces on all the sidewalks in that part of Germany.  Lots of feces in northern West Germany.  Netherlands is like that too.  Noticed that when I worked in Amsterdam a few years ago.  I took a train from Netherlands to Germany one weekend to visit some friends that I hadn't seen in years.  It was pleasant.  Generally my impression of Germany is that it is a very clean country, compared to most other countries I've either lived in or visited.  Well, with the exception of the ubiquitous canine evacuate.  You don't see the strips of paper, bubble gum, oil stains, french fries, and cigarette butts everywhere like you see in, for example, Peru or Mississippi or New York or Mexico.  I'm no particular fan of German food either, or their beer.  Luckily you can get Belgian beer in Germany, just like you can in the USA.
Very cool. I have never been to Bremen as a tourist, I have only driven past the city a few times, but I plan to go there some time with my uncle. He has some information on the family and would like to do some more research on the family back in the old country.
By the way I like Belgian beer better as well. I think Lewis recommended a brand I've already forgotten again, but anyway Belgian beer is the best I've had so far.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 06:47:32 PM »

The closest I've been to germany is italy
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 08:16:17 PM »

The closest (geographically) I've been to Germany is Boston Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »

The closest (geographically) I've been to Germany is Boston Tongue
^^^

I'll be in Germany this summer, though!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »

I have only been to Bremerhaven.  It wasn't too bad of a town, and everyone seemed pretty friendly.  I just thought it was funny that the German sailors on the ship docked next to mine thought I was German, and kept talking to me . . . never understanding a single word they said.  hahaha
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 07:34:28 AM »

There's a statue of the Town Musicians of Bremen in Bremen. 
There's one in Bremen in Westphalia, the small town my dad grew up in, as well. Even though according to he tale, they never reached Bremen.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yeah...I remember the dog feces of my childhood... the habit of removing your dog#s doo has started to catch on during the last decade or two, though. Smiley
Actually, I remember noticing that Canada's much "cleaner" in that respect than Germany ... then again, I've always noticed that Munich is much "cleaner" than Frankfurt ... not that I appreciate "cleanliness" in a city. As a matter of fact I don't.
ie, it's difficult to get in either country, tho' not utterly impossible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies