State of the Forum Address
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:40:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  State of the Forum Address
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State of the Forum Address  (Read 1311 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:46:59 AM »
« edited: March 28, 2006, 05:02:14 AM by President Porce »

March started out as a slow month, with only a PPT election and a lingering budget process taking up much of the Senate's business for the first half of the month.  We have now passed a budget, and while it was essentially a confirmation of our current spending without revisions, it was better progress than the previous budget process, which I'm sure all of you have attempted to block out of your minds (something to do with a court case, balanced budget amendment, and not having a budget for four months...) Smiley

Now the Senate has gotten to work on voting reform, thanks to the work of Senators Gabu and Peter Bell.  The current bill before the Senate addresses the issue of presidential election votes that do not list a VP candidate.  As a precautionary step, I recommend that the relevant section in the voter reform bill is introduced as a separate bill so that it will have a place in the legislative queue in case the full reform bill fails a Senate vote or public referendum, which can be withdrawn should neither event occur.  Senator WMS has also proposed a separate constitutional amendment that will address the concerns raised by Everett's Senate vote in the last election and subsequent jfern v Department of Forum Affairs lawsuit.

The situation in Puerto Rico has come to a brief halt, as True Democrat prepares for a trip and declares a temporary truce, while also dealing with a court case against yours truly.  I'm sure this comes as a relief to many of us, as the ongoing events have been confusing and even annoying for some.  This will also give us more time to devote on the search for the culprit in the shooting against Senator Democratic 'Hawk.'  The Department of Justice has begun to take some measures to help with the investigation of the case, with more details to come in the following days.

The Senate has passed (the conclusion of a 24-hour finality period of the vote pending) a constitutional amendment that will allow the Senate to create and adjust a federal minimum wage.  I commend the Senate for its willingness to allow a public vote on the issue, and give a full Presidential endorsement to voting in the affirmative on this amendment when it reaches your region's respective ratification poll.

Some people have worried that Atlasia has hit somewhat of a boring, or low point despite the madness and controversy regarding revolutions and secessions.  With the midterm Senate election campaigns beginning to heat up, I think we will see an increase in average citizen participation in the democratic process.

There are many oppurtunities ahead that will give Atlasians a chance to make decisions about the future direction of the policies of our government.  I urge every citizen to utilize these oppurtunities and vote in every constitutional amendment ratification, regional election, special elections, and the upcoming federal midterm.  Finally, nobody should be afraid to make their voice heard; elected politicians are ultimately answerable to their constituents, so it's important to make your views clear regarding all of the issues we currently face.

Thank you.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 05:11:56 AM »

*applauds*
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:00:24 PM »

Well done, Mr. President.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 05:15:36 PM »

Nice speech, Mr. President.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:28:26 PM »

Yay! Populist Ebowed! Excellent speech.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 12:04:35 AM »

I like how less than four out of forty-two lines of that speech were dedicated to the situation in Puerto Rico, and only to celebrate having time off from dealing with it.  Because, of course, you of all people certainly need a break from the grueling efforts you put into solving the problem, Mr. President.  Absolutely stunning...

Er, what else would he have said about it?  "We're going to invade Puerto Rico"?  He told the nation what was going on, which is what the State of the Forum address is supposed to do.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 12:13:36 AM »

<claps respectfully>
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 06:58:05 PM »

Mr President Smiley,

I'm pleased you have addressed the situation in Puerto Rico, Mr President, and thank you for your efforts in the search for my assailant. I'm back in the Senate now - taking things easy at the moment, however but I'll be back with gusto in no time

I supported the Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage and I'll vote to ratify it but should it pass, I will be introducing an amendment to the proposed Bill as it stands

I applaud your commitment to our democracy. It's evidently something that we share, which is why I'm minded to support any constitutional amendment that comes before the Senate. The Senate is comprised of reasonable people after all. Let the people decide Smiley

'Hawk'
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:55:48 PM »

*applause*
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »