jill carroll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:31:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  jill carroll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: jill carroll  (Read 2927 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:40:37 AM »

this situation seems fishy.

anyone agree?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 09:45:25 AM »

no
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:53:24 AM »

she isnt overly sympathetic towards her captors?

someone kidnaps me.  holds me for three months.  forces me to do propoganda tapes at gunpoint.  im not going to run out and say i was treated 'well'.

maybe she is just a nicer person than me...who knows?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:56:17 AM »

Well, she was given food and water and they didn't kill her. I'm sure she regards that as being treated well.

I thought for sure she was a goner.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 09:59:26 AM »

Well, she was given food and water and they didn't kill her. I'm sure she regards that as being treated well.

she actually looks like she has gained weight.  that is another oddity.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 10:15:04 AM »

she actually looks like she has gained weight.  that is another oddity.

I don't know.  She could have a case of "Stockholm Syndrome."  She could also be one of those peaceniks who side with violent terrorists, and is inclined to be sympathetic to their cause.  There could be a lot of reasons.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

I'm pretty sure there was some sort of deal made, and one of the agreements of the deal was that she'd be released unharmed as long as she wouldn't say bad things about them.  Not too unrealistic.  I'm sure more data will come forward as the time passes.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:34:25 AM »

It seems like a situation that ended well and we should be happy for her rather than upset because this deprives the neocons a chance to stir up more hatred?. Roll Eyes
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:41:02 AM »

It seems like a situation that ended well and we should be happy for her rather than upset because this deprives the neocons a chance to stir up more hatred?. Roll Eyes

Hatred of whom?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:41:50 AM »

Hatred of whom?

Iraqis
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »

uhhhhh . . . ok beet.  I think . . .

hehehe
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 10:54:11 AM »

Hatred of whom?

Iraqis

Oh please, Beet.  Isn't it the neocons who told us what wonderful people Iraqis were, if only the yoke of Saddam Hussein were lifted from them?  How the Iraqis would in short order have a Jeffersonian democracy?

No, it's not the Iraqis in general, but al-Qaeda terrorists that we should hate.  When somebody is out to kill you, a little hatred of them can be quite a healthy thing.  The idea that we should give the benefit of the doubt to vicious killers who have attacked us, and want nothing more than to launch more attacks, is pure liberal idiocy, and moral equivalency at its worst.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 10:59:04 AM »

Hatred of whom?

Iraqis

Oh please, Beet.  Isn't it the neocons who told us what wonderful people Iraqis were, if only the yoke of Saddam Hussein were lifted from them?  How the Iraqis would in short order have a Jeffersonian democracy?

No, it's not the Iraqis in general, but al-Qaeda terrorists that we should hate.  When somebody is out to kill you, a little hatred of them can be quite a healthy thing.  The idea that we should give the benefit of the doubt to vicious killers who have attacked us, and want nothing more than to launch more attacks, is pure liberal idiocy, and moral equivalency at its worst.

I agree entirely with you dazzleman. I'm just pointing out the tendency to pounce on things vindictively when things like this (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/search?m=all;o=time;s=tom%20fox) happen but suddenly become suspicious and disbelieving when things like this (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/search?m=all;o=time;s=jill%20carroll) happen. The difference of course is that event #1 feeds into the hatred cycle perfectly while event #2 introduces unwanted complexity.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 11:01:25 AM »

No, it's not the Iraqis in general, but al-Qaeda terrorists that we should hate. 

There doesn't seem to be any indication that these were al-Qaeda based groups who kidnapped her.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 11:02:54 AM »

Hatred of whom?

Iraqis

I agree entirely with you dazzleman. I'm just pointing out the tendency to pounce on things vindictively when things like this (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/search?m=all;o=time;s=tom%20fox) happen but suddenly become suspicious and disbelieving when things like this (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/search?m=all;o=time;s=jill%20carroll) happen. The difference of course is that event #1 feeds into the hatred cycle perfectly while event #2 introduces unwanted complexity.

People always are more accepting of things that validate the views they already hold, and skeptical of those that don't.

I've seen that trait in you many times, and I'm sure you've seen it in me.

I'm not too concerned about the fate of people who go over there voluntarily and put themselves in danger to make a [usually anti-US] political statement.

Anybody who's smart would just stay away from the place.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 11:07:46 AM »

Well I dont know who you were talking about... Tom Fox I would say was more expressing his religious convictions than making an anti-US statement. And given that a huge majority disapprove of the way things are handled now and a plurality of Americans favor rapid pullout, it's a question of who is really "on the side" of the American people. Carroll was primarily over there to cover events as a journalist.

Anyone who goes into Iraq takes responsibility because they know the risk, but it's easy to see why journalists and others would still have reason to go there. It's not like they're there on vacation.

In any case I've said what I've wanted to say
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 11:12:47 AM »

Well I dont know who you were talking about... Tom Fox I would say was more expressing his religious convictions than making an anti-US statement. And given that a huge majority disapprove of the way things are handled now and a plurality of Americans favor rapid pullout, it's a question of who is really "on the side" of the American people. Carroll was primarily over there to cover events as a journalist.

Anyone who goes into Iraq takes responsibility because they know the risk, but it's easy to see why journalists and others would still have reason to go there. It's not like they're there on vacation.

In any case I've said what I've wanted to say

Some of the statements I've made here have been overkill.

I just have a latent hostility toward journalists I perceive as anti-American, who argue that they should be neutral between us and terrorists.  The journalists in World War II sure weren't neutral.  And the 'neutrality' they claim to have is really in effect favoring our enemies.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 11:19:23 AM »

I would consider myself neutral in Iraq, because both sides are atrocious. Islamist government vs. Islamist insurgents. Gee, what a choice. The US is just propping up Islamists. There's nothing anti-American about opposing that.

So, like these journalists, I just want the US out now. Period. And all aid to the Iraqi regime cut off.

So dazzleman, do you support the Iraqi government?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 11:35:19 AM »

I would consider myself neutral in Iraq, because both sides are atrocious. Islamist government vs. Islamist insurgents. Gee, what a choice. The US is just propping up Islamists. There's nothing anti-American about opposing that.

So, like these journalists, I just want the US out now. Period. And all aid to the Iraqi regime cut off.

So dazzleman, do you support the Iraqi government?

what government?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »

What other government? The current one led by the Islamist party led by al-Jaafari.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 11:47:40 AM »

What other government? The current one led by the Islamist party led by al-Jaafari.

So far as I can tell, Iraq doesn't have a functioning government.  When it gets one, I'll decide whether I support it or not.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »

I actually agree with mitty this time.  Something doesn't feel right in this situation, as something really didn't feel right in the Nick Berg situation either.

But I could be wrong and maybe I'm just being a little suspicious.  Who knows?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 10:08:58 PM »

No, it's not the Iraqis in general, but al-Qaeda terrorists that we should hate. 

There doesn't seem to be any indication that these were al-Qaeda based groups who kidnapped her.
Wow that is really heads up thinking(sarcasm). The arabs that captured this flake were just mad about a sexual encounter they shared with her that left them with the big stiffy.(joke)  Come on now lib. You know they were Al Queda.

It could have been an Iraqi insurgent/Ba'athist group.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 10:36:19 PM »

I actually agree with mitty this time.  Something doesn't feel right in this situation, as something really didn't feel right in the Nick Berg situation either.

But I could be wrong and maybe I'm just being a little suspicious.  Who knows?

I've always thought that Berg was a top secret CIA operative that had his cover blown. That's just my theory though...
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 10:42:54 PM »

Wow that is really heads up thinking(sarcasm). The arabs that captured this flake were just mad about a sexual encounter they shared with her that left them with the big stiffy.(joke)  Come on now lib. You know they were Al Queda.

It could have been an Iraqi insurgent/Ba'athist group.

whatever...in practical terms, they're all the same...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies