Religious politicians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:37:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religious politicians
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religious politicians  (Read 1352 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2006, 06:14:00 AM »

Of politicians that make a big deal about their religion, which ones are for real and which are just faking it to get votes? In the for real column, I put Jimmy Carter, Sam Brownback, Joe Lieberman, and Rick Santorum. Big fakers include George W. Bush, Tom Delay, and the Blunts. I can't put my finger on why, but I know these guys are full of crap.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 08:16:41 AM »

Of politicians that make a big deal about their religion, which ones are for real and which are just faking it to get votes? In the for real column, I put Jimmy Carter, Sam Brownback, Joe Lieberman, and Rick Santorum. Big fakers include George W. Bush, Tom Delay, and the Blunts. I can't put my finger on why, but I know these guys are full of crap.

I think your right about Delay but I disagree with you on Bush. I honestly believe he has a strong faith in God.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 09:21:27 AM »

I would agree absolutely with Jimmy Carter; his faith was strong when it came to issues of poverty and social jsutice.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 09:26:17 AM »

I think Jimmy Carter is sincere about his faith.  His problem is that he is overly sanctimonious, and he applies his beliefs in ways that are destructive rather than helpful.

The funniest thing was when Howard Dean tried to pretend he was religious in some way.  That was a hoot.

Hillary Clinton is also full of crap with her Jesus talk.  To paraphrase a great American, Harry Truman, 'that woman don't know any more about religion than a pig knows about Sunday.'
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 11:23:52 AM »

The funniest thing was when Howard Dean tried to pretend he was religious in some way.  That was a hoot.

I would have laughed, but then I realized just how insincere and ironic it was that such a religion bashing liberal extremist would by bathing in Holy Water.

Apparently he valued votes over his dignity and his moral foundation (if he had one)...
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »

I know of three Presidents who were quite religous and prayed to God before they made any decision:

George Washington
William McKinley
Jimmy Carter

The Adamses were religous as was Reagan, but no where to the extent of the three listed above.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »

^^^^ I agree with this list entirely.

Howard Dean's behavior is only a reflection of the fact that no openly agnostic or atheist politician has a prayer in hell of being elected president in this country. I think there was a poll not too long ago that said something like half of all Americans would never vote for an atheist President, far higher than any religious group. Open agnostics and atheists are the most persecuted group in America, when it comes to running for office.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 01:24:55 PM »

Did Carter not used to still teach sunday school back home when he was President?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:35:58 PM »

Apparently he valued votes over his dignity and his moral foundation (if he had one)...

...he doesn't...
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 01:37:40 PM »

Howard Dean's behavior is only a reflection of the fact that no openly agnostic or atheist politician has a prayer in hell of being elected president in this country. I think there was a poll not too long ago that said something like half of all Americans would never vote for an atheist President, far higher than any religious group. Open agnostics and atheists are the most persecuted group in America, when it comes to running for office.

...so I guess that makes it OK to fake religious devotion in order to get votes?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 01:38:51 PM »

Did Carter not used to still teach sunday school back home when he was President?

How could he teach Sunday school when he was president?  Surely, he didn't interrupt his summit with Brezhnev, or whatever else was going on, to get back to Plains to teach Sunday school.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »

...so I guess that makes it OK to fake religious devotion in order to get votes?

Uh, Bush is the one who wears it on his sleeve trying to convince people that hes really some huge Christian, as part of his "folksy southern" persona. There's nothing genuine about the man, or his image. Roll Eyes
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 01:41:50 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2006, 01:43:51 PM by Reagan Raider »

What gets me is, if Jimmy Carter is as smart and devoted to his religion as the liberals often say he is, why did he endorse Dean in the Democratic Primaries?  It seems that Carter should be smart enough to see through Dean's facade of faith and stability.

Still, we have to understand, we are talking about the guy who did not realize that cutting funding to the Shah would result in the collapse of a pro-Western government in Iran.

Foreign policy mastermind, indeed.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 04:11:55 PM »

Uh, Bush is the one who wears it on his sleeve trying to convince people that hes really some huge Christian, as part of his "folksy southern" persona. There's nothing genuine about the man, or his image. Roll Eyes
I agree completely. Bush is old New England blue blood. He'd sell America to the devil if the price was right.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 11:47:13 PM »

How could he teach Sunday school when he was president?  Surely, he didn't interrupt his summit with Brezhnev, or whatever else was going on, to get back to Plains to teach Sunday school.

He taught Sunday School both before and after serving as President, but I don't think during his tenure.

I have attended his Sunday School several times over the years, and as far as I know, he's still doing it.  It's an incredible experience that I would recommend to anyone regardless of political persuasion.  I can provide more details if anyone's interested.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 01:50:17 AM »

He taught Sunday School both before and after serving as President, but I don't think during his tenure.

I have attended his Sunday School several times over the years, and as far as I know, he's still doing it.  It's an incredible experience that I would recommend to anyone regardless of political persuasion.  I can provide more details if anyone's interested.
How does one get signed up for this? It sounds cool.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 10:12:30 PM »

How does one get signed up for this? It sounds cool.

See http://www.maranathachurchplains.org/ -- a link to Carter's schedule of classes is on the left.

All you have to do is get to Plains, Georgia, by 8:30 on most Sunday mornings.  No sign-ups required.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 07:00:21 AM »

Kennedy did a fair job in trying to play down his religion, but it still came through from time to time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies