My thoughts on the 2006 Gubernatorial Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:18:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election Predictions (Moderator: muon2)
  My thoughts on the 2006 Gubernatorial Races
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My thoughts on the 2006 Gubernatorial Races  (Read 13457 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:32:13 AM »

Ok, I did some scribbling on paper to try and figure out my predictions for the 2006 Gubernatorial Races. Here's how things currently stand:

36 Seats are in play this election year.

OUT OF THE 36 SEATS
REPUBLICANS HOLD: 22
DEMOCRATS HOLD::: 14

After all my scribbling and thinking about the races up for grabs this year, I came to the end result of my predictions of 28 seats, with

REPUBLICAN KEEP/GAIN: 16
DEMOCRAT KEEP/GAIN: 13

SEVEN SEATS TOO CLOSE TO CALL IN MY OPINION:
Minnesota (Pawlenty vs. Hatch)
Pennsylvania (Rendell vs. Swann)
Maine (Baldacci vs. Emery)
Ohio (Blackwell vs. Strickland)
Michigan (Granholm vs. DeVos)
Tennessee (Bredesen vs. Bryson)
Alaska (WTF will Murkowski do?)

Sadly, every one of those seats could be won by the democrats, giving them a majority of the Governor's seats. If I had to guess now, Republicans could easily pick up three of those six (Ohio, Pennsylvania and Minnesota). Tennessee is also a possible surprise pickup for the GOP (Ex. Bunning vs. Mongiardo '04)...but at this point, I see Bredesen getting re-election...although it's still too close to call.
In my opinion, the 2006 Gubernatorial Races are too close to call on who will maintain power of the majority of governor's seats come 2007.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:53:46 PM »

No replies? Surprise.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:18:45 PM »

Reply. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:48:06 PM »

Especially this early, I don't see how you cannot consider Oregon, California, Colorado, Iowa, or Michigan to be not too close to call.  I would be interested to hear your logic.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 10:16:38 PM »

Especially this early, I don't see how you cannot consider Oregon, California, Colorado, Iowa, or Michigan to be not too close to call.  I would be interested to hear your logic.
It's because Naso's a poop face.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 10:21:43 PM »

The rest, though, yeah.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 01:07:39 AM »

Be nice.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 02:59:08 PM »

Be nice.
Okay.

Despite the fact that his post may reek of lunacy, he does the best he can with the information that he has and the forsight he lacks.

Better? Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »

Be nice.
Okay.

Despite the fact that his post may reek of lunacy, he does the best he can with the information that he has and the forsight he lacks.

Better? Smiley

I really liked your prediction thread.

Oh...
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 12:01:06 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2006, 12:33:59 PM by PBrunsel »

Naso,

I wouldn't be too confident with Iowa going Republican. Popular Governor Vilsack is for Culver and the Secretary of State has a name known statewide, unlike Nussle.

Nussle also has the backing of an unpopular President. When President Bush came to Des Moines last week the protesters could be seen far and wide. At least 5,000 came out to disrupt his $500 a plate dinner by having a "chicken soup for the needy" publicity stunt.

Iowa will be the race to watch this year in my opinion.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 12:18:15 PM »

NJaso,

I wouldn't be too confident with Iowa going Republican. Popular GOvernor Vilsack is for Culver and the Secretary of State has a name known statewide, unlike Nussle.

Nussle also has the backing of an unpopular President. When President Bush came to Des Moines last week the protesters could be seen far and wide. At least 5,000 came out to disrupt his $500 a plate dinner by having a "chicken soup for the needy" publicity stunt.

Well stated.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2006, 08:22:49 PM by Soaring Eagle »

SEVEN SEATS TOO CLOSE TO CALL IN MY OPINION:
Minnesota (Pawlenty vs. Hatch)
Pennsylvania (Rendell vs. Swann)
Maine (Baldacci vs. Emery)
Ohio (Blackwell vs. Strickland)
Michigan (Granholm vs. DeVos)
Tennessee (Bredesen vs. Bryson)
Alaska (WTF will Murkowski do?)

I'm going to have to disagree. I don't think MN will be that competitive, nor will TN. I think the states that are tossups include IA, MI, ME, WI, CO, and CA. In addition to that, I think PA, OH, AK, OR, and possibly AR will be competitive. But that's just me.

Edit: George Ryan was found guilty, so IL won't be a tossup after all.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 06:49:25 PM »

Why does no one thing Minnesota will be that competitive?  Are BRTD and I mute or something? Tongue
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 03:32:23 AM »

Naso,

I wouldn't be too confident with Iowa going Republican. Popular Governor Vilsack is for Culver and the Secretary of State has a name known statewide, unlike Nussle.

Uh... I thought Vilsak was for Blouin who's trying to challenge Culver in the primary but hasn't really been having much success...
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 11:11:49 AM »

Naso,

Uh... I thought Vilsak was for Blouin who's trying to challenge Culver in the primary but hasn't really been having much success...

He's realy for both. He has good relations with both and has actualy endorsed both.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies