Who does the BNP hurt more? Tories or Labour?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:16:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who does the BNP hurt more? Tories or Labour?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who does the BNP hurt more? Tories or Labour?
Tories

Labour

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Who does the BNP hurt more? Tories or Labour?  (Read 6564 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 06:48:48 AM »

Nothing new on the Rowntree website. Either they're slow to update, or the London file is the one the media is talking about.

Sky News now deserves an award for being f***ing idiots. Here's their headline "One in Four Plans Switch to BNP" which is not what the report says in any way at all...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 06:51:23 AM »

Nothing new on the Rowntree website. Either they're slow to update, or the London file is the one the media is talking about.

Sky News now deserves an award for being f***ing idiots. Here's their headline "One in Four Plans Switch to BNP" which is not what the report says in any way at all...
But it's what Rupert Murdoch wants it to say. And that's all that matters.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 07:04:07 AM »

That's probably not far from the truth of the matter... the nasty (and completly untrue) stereotypes about BNP voters all being incapacity benefit claiments in council estates will start doing the rounds again soon enough... Roll Eyes

Just thinking, but what % of people have either voted for, vote for, or "might vote for" all the three main parties? We're probably dealing with numbers in the 60%'s here (certainly for Labour)...
O/c the only reason why the media have got all panicky about the BNP is because the BNP are concentrating on London this year. Most of the media didn't give a **** when the BNP lost one of their best wards in Northern England a few weeks ago...
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 07:07:12 AM »

Migrationwatch are bunch of xenophobic tossers who turn up on the media and tell lies about immigration.

Well put! Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 07:16:54 AM »

Just thinking, but what % of people have either voted for, vote for, or "might vote for" all the three main parties? We're probably dealing with numbers in the 60%'s here (certainly for Labour)...
60's, possibly 70's for Labour and LibDems, tad lower but still well over 50% for the Tories.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 07:24:40 AM »

That's probably not far from the truth of the matter... the nasty (and completly untrue) stereotypes about BNP voters all being incapacity benefit claiments in council estates will start doing the rounds again soon enough... Roll Eyes

O/c the only reason why the media have got all panicky about the BNP is because the BNP are concentrating on London this year. Most of the media didn't give a **** when the BNP lost one of their best wards in Northern England a few weeks ago...

Al, I think you should compile the stuff you've written across this forum on who really votes for the BNP into an article of sorts? It would be a good thing to spread around (and I can think of ways how) in order to challenge these foolish media conceptions... And have you thought about emailing/writing into PM on radio 4? They often read stuff out, it worked when I did a few years ago...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 07:34:55 AM »

Migrationwatch are bunch of xenophobic tossers who turn up on the media and tell lies about immigration.

Well put! Grin

Grin

Interestingly enough, that something like a fifth to a quarter of voters either have, do or *might* vote BNP, isn't actually new. Looking through the Rowntree site, similer findings have turned up in various studies for years.
And that London is, theoretically, the BNP's best area isn't new either. In a big survey done in 2004 about 35% of Londoners had a generally postive opinion of the BNP (much higher than the rest of the country). Also in that survey a third of Londoners would oppose letting in people fleeing from genocide. Much higher than anywhere else.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 07:50:44 AM »

60's, possibly 70's for Labour and LibDems, tad lower but still well over 50% for the Tories.

Sounds about right, although it does depend who you ask (and where). I do remember seeing one a few months ago that had something like 66% for Labour.
A Rowntree survey (I'm bored and they have nice .pdf files on their site...) from 2004 had the following figures for "might" and "could never vote for them"...

Con: 51% might, 45% never (highest might was England with 53%, highest never was in Wales with 63%)
Lab: 57% might, 38% never (highest might was Scotland with 72% (Wales was 65%), highest never was actually London with 46%)
Lib: 58% might, 37% never (highest might was England with 59%, highest never was London with 45%)
Grn: 45% might, 50% never (highest might was England with 46%, highest never was a tie between London and Wales on 58%)
BNP: 18% might, 76% never (highest might was London with 24%, highest never was Scotland with 88%). 9% of Londoners didn't answer the question.

They also did (I'm posting this mainly for novelty) a party ID poll...

Lab 33%, Con 23%, Lib 15%, Grn 5%, UKIP 5%, BNP 3%, SNP 2%, Plaid 1%, Other 2%, Refused 11%
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 07:59:38 AM »

Al, I think you should compile the stuff you've written across this forum on who really votes for the BNP into an article of sorts? It would be a good thing to spread around (and I can think of ways how) in order to challenge these foolish media conceptions...

Might not be a bad idea to do something. I'll try a few test pieces on my blog I think...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Might try that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 10:13:18 AM »

The full report will be published next week apparently. Basically the same as the London report but covering a wider area.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 02:01:51 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2006, 02:08:12 PM by Governor Afleitch »

Ukpollingreport leads with the survey- they claim that:

Wards with a larger number of older voters tended to have a higher BNP vote, as did wards with a low average level of education. There was, however no link between ward with a high number of benefit claimants and support for the BNP. The study suggests that the BNP gain their support from older, poorly educated people, but that their support comes not not from the very poorest, the unemployed and those reliant upon benefits, but from the skilled working class.

The full report can be found here: http://www.jrrt.org.uk/Far_Right_REPORT.pdf

EDIT: Coincidentaly, it also classifies the UKIP as far right.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 02:10:13 PM »

Ukpollingreport leads with the survey- they claim that:

Wards with a larger number of older voters tended to have a higher BNP vote, as did wards with a low average level of education. There was, however no link between ward with a high number of benefit claimants and support for the BNP. The study suggests that the BNP gain their support from older, poorly educated people, but that their support comes not not from the very poorest, the unemployed and those reliant upon benefits, but from the skilled working class.

In London maybe (I've not really looked into it) but elsewhere BNP support is suprisingly (?) socially mixed (as was National Front support). ABCDE is useful (if illogical; should be ABCDEF as it has two C's) but only gets you so far. I feel the need to make some maps.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yep, that's the London report. Quite interesting in places.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 02:22:58 PM »

Yep, that's the London report. Quite interesting in places.

The only problem I have is trying to deduce electoral stats and trends out of small percentages of the vote. Hopefully the national report will confirm their findings here.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies