Anyone else watching the immigration rally on C-SPAN?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:53:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anyone else watching the immigration rally on C-SPAN?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anyone else watching the immigration rally on C-SPAN?  (Read 1457 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2006, 04:47:10 PM »

Thoughts?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »

Call me crazy, but this immigration issue scares the piss out of me.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 04:51:23 PM »

The scary part is them waving Mexican flags declaring they are proud to be Mexican, while leeching off the USA. I'm beginning to believe the idea that Fox and the mexican govt has help push this issue to re-take the southwest in revenge for 1848.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 04:57:04 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2006, 04:58:40 PM by nickshepDEM »

I dont get it... They're holding "WE ARE AMERICA" signs, yet the entire rally is in Spanish.

We need to pass an English national language law.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 04:59:11 PM »

I agree with all ya'lls concerns.  In my opinion, this should be untolerable.

-We shouldn't offer government services to non-citizens or non-tax payers.
-English needs to be our national language, with decent proficiency required for citizenship.
-There needs to be a special immigration tax.  We should have some kind of worker amnesty program, simply to make sure that there are decent labor standards for employers of these people.  Workers who earn money here in the U.S. but have residence in Mexico must pay an extra tax.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 04:59:29 PM »

I dont get it... They're holding "WE ARE AMERICA" signs, yet the entire rally is in Spanish.

We need to pass an English national language law.

Believe me, I've been near some of these rallies. They are no more then glorified racist rallies.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 05:01:41 PM »

I agree with all ya'lls concerns.  In my opinion, this should be untolerable.

-English needs to be our national language, with decent proficiency required for citizenship.
-There needs to be a special immigration tax.  We should have some kind of worker amnesty program, simply to make sure that there are decent labor standards for employers of these people.  Workers who earn money here in the U.S. but have residence in Mexico must pay an extra tax.

I agree!  I also say we should build a massive wall along our border there, preferably out of something that is nearly indestructible.

Rin-chan
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 05:04:45 PM »

Where's the INS when you need them?

Just kidding.  Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 05:06:27 PM »

Where's the INS when you need them?

Just kidding.  Wink

Kidding? That's a great idea actually. I remember we had one of those racist protests outside our strawberry festival. They were being very aggressive towards the visitors and scaring children and old people. Someone got on the airphone at the fair grounds and said "INS Gate 5 please, INS gate 5". That made my day!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »

In civilized countries, the riot troops would be breaking this up already.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 05:08:07 PM »

Call me crazy, but this immigration issue scares the piss out of me.

Go join the xenophobe party now, rethuglican apologist.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 05:10:38 PM »

Im really not a racist.

This immigration issue just makes me nervous for some reason.  I cant put it into words.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 05:12:46 PM »

Im really not a racist.

This immigration issue just makes me nervous for some reason.  I cant put it into words.

I jest -- I didn't want to ruin the gravity by putting up a Tongue

I had no opinion on this topic until I saw those rallies, either. They do seem hateful and revanchist.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »

I don't watch the rallies/ protests they just piss me off.  somthing needs to be done with illegal immigrats.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »

Im really not a racist.

I jest -- I didn't want to ruin the gravity by putting up a Tongue

I had no opinion on this topic until I saw those rallies, either. They do seem hateful and revanchist.

At the rally here their were some black folks mixed in helping them chant "Tell whitey to go to hell" and telling them that "whitey" is oppressing them.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 05:21:52 PM »

I agree with all ya'lls concerns.  In my opinion, this should be untolerable.

-There needs to be a special immigration tax.  We should have some kind of worker amnesty program, simply to make sure that there are decent labor standards for employers of these people.  Workers who earn money here in the U.S. but have residence in Mexico must pay an extra tax.
Im afraid I can only half-back you on one of the issues, and say nay to the other two. I see the stance for #1 as half-legitimate, and completely legitimate if the world had one govm't, but I cant come even close to the other two.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »

I have absolutely no problem with legal immigration.  I think it is the bedrock on which this nation was founded.

I have a MAJOR problem with illegal immigration.  What amazes me is how emotional Latin Americans get about this issue.  Where are the Indian or Kenyan immigrants?  No where.  Because, for the most part, they aren't breaking the law and coming here illegally.

As for Vincente Fox ... it is actually in his country's best interest to INCREASE the # of illegals.  Do you realize that the money Mexicans in the US send to Mexico is roughly the SAME AMOUNT as is grossed by the US auto industry??  Meanwhile Mexico will not allow foreign investment in its energy industry.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 01:32:54 PM »

I have absolutely no problem with legal immigration.  I think it is the bedrock on which this nation was founded.

I have a MAJOR problem with illegal immigration.  What amazes me is how emotional Latin Americans get about this issue.  Where are the Indian or Kenyan immigrants?  No where.  Because, for the most part, they aren't breaking the law and coming here illegally.

As for Vincente Fox ... it is actually in his country's best interest to INCREASE the # of illegals.  Do you realize that the money Mexicans in the US send to Mexico is roughly the SAME AMOUNT as is grossed by the US auto industry??  Meanwhile Mexico will not allow foreign investment in its energy industry.

Finally, finally after all this time, you say something I 100% agree with.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 01:40:24 PM »

Yup, which is why many are referring to this lately as illegal "invasion" rather than "immigration."  And what the hell is it with Kennedy and the protestors calling this and/or comparing it to a "civil rights" march?  This has nothing to do with civil rights!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 01:41:56 PM »

Yup, which is why many are referring to this lately as illegal "invasion" rather than "immigration."  And what the hell is it with Kennedy and the protestors calling this and/or comparing it to a "civil rights" march?  This has nothing to do with civil rights!

I believe this to be a planned invasion by the Mexican government. I really am beginning to see some of these "chicken little" types point.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 02:02:19 PM »

It doesn't matter what laws congress pass because it is up to the Executive Branch to enforce the laws and with our current President refusing to to enforce the current laws, I see no reason to believe he will enforce any new laws that he disagrees with.

I did find it interesting that after many people pointing out the Mexican flags at the last immigration rally, the organizers of yesterday's rallies said to leave the Mexican flags behind.

Also, on this particular issue, big business is siding with the left while labor unions are siding with the right.

We should just treat our guests like Mexico treats theirs and it would solve a large amount of this problem.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 02:04:16 PM »

We should just treat our guests like Mexico treats theirs and it would solve a large amount of this problem.

I say we go to Mexico and protest.  Smiley
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »

The Great Wall of China is 4000 miles long and was built 2000 years ago without power  tools. Why the hell can't we build a wall today that's only half that long? And we have powerful equipment to do the work. What do we have to do; hire the Chinese to build it for us? Or maybe we should hire Mexicans to build the wall to keep them out. Wouldn't that be a nice bit of irony.

The real reason we don't have such a wall is that our government is totally useless. It does a multitude of things which it is not supposed to do but won't do the things which it is supposed to do.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 02:45:04 PM »

Well, the irony here is that we had an influx of Chinese immigrants at the turn of the century here working in the mines and railroads until the US started to limit how many could come in.  As a result, the railroads started bringing in Mexicans to do the work originally performed by the Chinese.  As a result, the Chinese started to immigrate to the US through Mexico, causing us to create the border patrol to stop the Chinese.  This is, of course, 60 - 70 years after the war with Mexico.  Basically, "securing" the border has never been a peace-time issue with the US from the beginning. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 08:12:52 PM »

The real reason we don't have such a wall is that our government is totally useless. It does a multitude of things which it is not supposed to do but won't do the things which it is supposed to do.

There's a great deal of truth in that statement.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies