Constitutional Amendement proposal.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:18:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Constitutional Amendement proposal.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Constitutional Amendement proposal.  (Read 1712 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2004, 05:52:59 PM »

I move that the senate Change the 4th amendement section 3 to read:Districts shall be determined by how many registered voters there are at the Forum. Each district should have nearly equal the amount of registered voters as the other districts have.
deleting the last paragraph. "All districts must be contiguous."
khirkhib

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 07:40:06 PM »

that might work
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 08:20:06 PM »

I oppose this amendment.  Districts should be contiguous.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 09:13:22 PM »

I oppose this amendment.  Districts should be contiguous.

What about Alaska and Hawaii?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 09:25:46 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2004, 09:26:03 PM by Gov. NickG »

Techinicalities aside, the fact is that with the current voter distribution, it is impossible to make districts that are both totally contiguous and close in population (also a constitutional requirement).

The problem is that NY has 10 voters, and is the only state contiguous with New England.  if you put NY in the same district as NE, the district is too large.  Without NY, the district is too small.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 10:19:33 PM »

I think we should have the one district with 23 voters, and 4 with 17-18 voters.  Putting New Jersey with New England doesn't make any geographic sense.

My opinion is the contiguous-ness of districts is more important than the number of voters.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 10:41:36 PM »

I think we should have the one district with 23 voters, and 4 with 17-18 voters.  Putting New Jersey with New England doesn't make any geographic sense.

My opinion is the contiguous-ness of districts is more important than the number of voters.

The defeats the purpose of districts, which are supposed to be divided by voters, though.

StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 10:42:45 PM »

I plan on voting against this amendment should it come to a vote on the senate floor.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:23:58 PM »

I would also like to point out that total number of registered voters is not always the most important thing.

Several of the registered voters in the Northeast seem unlikely to participate in future elections. Don't get too hung up on the numbers alone.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 08:55:31 PM »

I support this amenment.

Regions were meant to be contiguous, but districts were meant to represent the voting population from day one.

NMow that we've signed away regions, we are tryinjg to change district to regions. Thats just stupid. Districts have a valid role to play, and so do regions. But perhaps regions aren't necessary in the senate.

Districts are, though, and therefor I wish to support the original meaning of the creation of districts, and support this amendment.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 10:04:09 AM »

The alternative would be to split the state of New York...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2004, 09:47:16 PM »

The alternative would be to split the state of New York...

In that case we will have to start with a list of names of which people are in each district.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 09:19:03 AM »

Wow, let's not get too carried away here...I think contigiousness (hm, does that really exist?) is more important. Look at how actual districts in RL looks. They're always contigious (except for when they're HEAVILY gerrymandered). And population doesn't have to be exactly equal number ov voters. As long as the differences aren't too big.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 10:22:47 AM »

Wow, let's not get too carried away here...I think contigiousness (hm, does that really exist?) is more important. Look at how actual districts in RL looks. They're always contigious (except for when they're HEAVILY gerrymandered). And population doesn't have to be exactly equal number ov voters. As long as the differences aren't too big.

In real life, the Supreme Court has definitely held that districts being equal size is more important that geographical integrity.  This is because "one person, one vote" is a constitutional guarantee, while geography

For instance, they struck down the original Pennsylvania map in 2002 for only slight differences in population, while upholding all of the recent political gerrymanders, like Maryland and Texas, no matter how wacky the Districts looked, as long as they had equal populations.

The SC has struck down gerrymanders that were racially motivated.  But that is because not being discriminated against on the basis of race is a constitutional guarantee; pure georgraphy is awarded no such protection.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 11:04:10 AM »

In real life, the Supreme Court has definitely held that districts being equal size is more important that geographical integrity.  This is because "one person, one vote" is a constitutional guarantee, while geography

For instance, they struck down the original Pennsylvania map in 2002 for only slight differences in population, while upholding all of the recent political gerrymanders, like Maryland and Texas, no matter how wacky the Districts looked, as long as they had equal populations.

The SC has struck down gerrymanders that were racially motivated.  But that is because not being discriminated against on the basis of race is a constitutional guarantee; pure georgraphy is awarded no such protection.

I was not talking excluseively about the US... Tongue I still think thatwe should try and keep the districts contigious.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 03:47:37 PM »

I hereby withdraw this amendement.
ilikeverin