Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 03:27:18 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Constitutional Amendement proposal.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Constitutional Amendement proposal.  (Read 1197 times)
TexasGurl
texasgurl24
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: -9.57, S: -7.91

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2004, 05:52:59 pm »
Ignore

I move that the senate Change the 4th amendement section 3 to read:Districts shall be determined by how many registered voters there are at the Forum. Each district should have nearly equal the amount of registered voters as the other districts have.
deleting the last paragraph. "All districts must be contiguous."

khirkhib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 07:40:06 pm »
Ignore

that might work
RG Fritz
JLD
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 08:20:06 pm »
Ignore

I oppose this amendment.  Districts should be contiguous.

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 09:13:22 pm »
Ignore

I oppose this amendment.  Districts should be contiguous.

What about Alaska and Hawaii?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 09:25:46 pm »
Ignore

Techinicalities aside, the fact is that with the current voter distribution, it is impossible to make districts that are both totally contiguous and close in population (also a constitutional requirement).

The problem is that NY has 10 voters, and is the only state contiguous with New England.  if you put NY in the same district as NE, the district is too large.  Without NY, the district is too small.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 09:26:03 pm by Gov. NickG »Logged
RG Fritz
JLD
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 10:19:33 pm »
Ignore

I think we should have the one district with 23 voters, and 4 with 17-18 voters.  Putting New Jersey with New England doesn't make any geographic sense.

My opinion is the contiguous-ness of districts is more important than the number of voters.

Nation
of_thisnation
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.06, S: 1.14

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 10:41:36 pm »
Ignore

I think we should have the one district with 23 voters, and 4 with 17-18 voters.  Putting New Jersey with New England doesn't make any geographic sense.

My opinion is the contiguous-ness of districts is more important than the number of voters.

The defeats the purpose of districts, which are supposed to be divided by voters, though.

i dont know, but i've been told
that a yankee politician ain't got no soul
StevenNick
StevenNick99
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 10:42:45 pm »
Ignore

I plan on voting against this amendment should it come to a vote on the senate floor.

Economic Left/Right: 5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:23:58 pm »
Ignore

I would also like to point out that total number of registered voters is not always the most important thing.

Several of the registered voters in the Northeast seem unlikely to participate in future elections. Don't get too hung up on the numbers alone.
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 08:55:31 pm »
Ignore

I support this amenment.

Regions were meant to be contiguous, but districts were meant to represent the voting population from day one.

NMow that we've signed away regions, we are tryinjg to change district to regions. Thats just stupid. Districts have a valid role to play, and so do regions. But perhaps regions aren't necessary in the senate.

Districts are, though, and therefor I wish to support the original meaning of the creation of districts, and support this amendment.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 10:04:09 am »
Ignore

The alternative would be to split the state of New York...

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2004, 09:47:16 pm »
Ignore

The alternative would be to split the state of New York...

In that case we will have to start with a list of names of which people are in each district.

Gustaf
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 09:19:03 am »

Wow, let's not get too carried away here...I think contigiousness (hm, does that really exist?) is more important. Look at how actual districts in RL looks. They're always contigious (except for when they're HEAVILY gerrymandered). And population doesn't have to be exactly equal number ov voters. As long as the differences aren't too big.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 10:22:47 am »
Ignore

Wow, let's not get too carried away here...I think contigiousness (hm, does that really exist?) is more important. Look at how actual districts in RL looks. They're always contigious (except for when they're HEAVILY gerrymandered). And population doesn't have to be exactly equal number ov voters. As long as the differences aren't too big.

In real life, the Supreme Court has definitely held that districts being equal size is more important that geographical integrity.  This is because "one person, one vote" is a constitutional guarantee, while geography

For instance, they struck down the original Pennsylvania map in 2002 for only slight differences in population, while upholding all of the recent political gerrymanders, like Maryland and Texas, no matter how wacky the Districts looked, as long as they had equal populations.

The SC has struck down gerrymanders that were racially motivated.  But that is because not being discriminated against on the basis of race is a constitutional guarantee; pure georgraphy is awarded no such protection.
Gustaf
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 11:04:10 am »

In real life, the Supreme Court has definitely held that districts being equal size is more important that geographical integrity.  This is because "one person, one vote" is a constitutional guarantee, while geography

For instance, they struck down the original Pennsylvania map in 2002 for only slight differences in population, while upholding all of the recent political gerrymanders, like Maryland and Texas, no matter how wacky the Districts looked, as long as they had equal populations.

The SC has struck down gerrymanders that were racially motivated.  But that is because not being discriminated against on the basis of race is a constitutional guarantee; pure georgraphy is awarded no such protection.

I was not talking excluseively about the US... Tongue I still think thatwe should try and keep the districts contigious.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
TexasGurl
texasgurl24
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: -9.57, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 03:47:37 pm »
Ignore

I hereby withdraw this amendement.

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 05:31:26 pm »
Ignore

I hereby withdraw this amendement.

Sad

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout