A Fairer Iranian Options Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:24:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  A Fairer Iranian Options Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What should we do with Iran if it tries to acquire nuclear weapons?
Contain it as we did the Soviet Union

Aerial bombardment

Aerial bombardment with tactical nukes

Full-scale military invasion and occupation

Absolutely nothing, and hope for the best

Other -plz specify

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: A Fairer Iranian Options Thread  (Read 3854 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 12:31:22 AM »

I should point out something about the Iranian military.  The fought for eight years against a numerically inferior Iraq; they were the defenders, which makes things easier.

Two conclusions:

1.  They are not particularly good soldiers.

2.  The are exceptionally tenacious soldiers, that will take heavy casualties without surrendering.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2006, 02:37:38 AM »

First of all, Iran is at least three years from having the bomb.  And mind you, three years is the hyperventilating, over reacting estimate that assume they won't suffer any setbacks.

And that's just one bomb.

Yes, Iran is a cause for concern, and yes they must be prevented from getting nuclear weapons, but it is premature at this point to talk about military strikes.

As WMS has said, it makes  a hell of a lot of sense to finance refomrers on the ground.

But let's say we're sitting here in two years and nothing has changed.  Let's just say.

The smart thing to do is, if no progress can be made over the next few years, is bomb those targets which can be bombed from the air.  You wouldn't elimiante the Iranian program, but you would set it back.  Make the threat that any Iranian retaliation will be met with the destruction of their oil infrastructure.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2006, 03:04:25 AM »

6. The Iranian Army, mobilized and numbering upwards to 15 million men (CIA World Factbook) pours across the border with Iraq, vastly outnumbering US 130K troops.

15 million? Effectives or including the twice yearly militias? Iran doesn't have the supply capacity to mobilize and support 15 million, or anywhere near that many troops. This also strongly ups the ante, and increases the likelyhood that the US would use tactical nukes to wipe out the Iranian units massing across the border.

The 15 million listed in the CIA World Factbook is the estimated number for the statistic of "manpower fit for military service".  This is not the total size of the Iranian army; it is simply the number of people who meet the physical requirements to be part of the army.  This statistic for the United States is 109,305,756 men and women.  Unless that poster thinks that the American army has over 100 million people in it, perhaps he should do his homework regarding what "manpower fit for military service" means.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »

Anyone advocating an attack like this scenario?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wish all the DU members were dead, I'm sorry, but I just can't stand it anymore.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 03:48:42 PM »

Option 1 combined with an attempt to kick-start the revolution there - remember kids, the Iranian people spontaneously lit candles and had rallies in support of the United States after 9/11. Unlike those f***ers in Pakistan or Palestine who cheered it on...
That generation doesn't know the United States very well after 25 years of isolation, and because they have a different oppressor closer to home are under the mistaken impression that the american empire is, relatively speaking, their buddy.
*sighs*
If the American Left ever wonders why they have such trouble winning elections... Roll Eyes
To be fair, WMS, opebo is rather less sane than your typical leftist (which says a lot, quite frankly).

Good point. Wink Let me change "Left" to "Left-Wing" Grin

As WMS has said, it makes  a hell of a lot of sense to finance refomrers on the ground.

Thanks for the support Smiley and if there is one thing we Americans are good at, it's exploting internal divisions in other countries Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 04:04:19 PM »

Option 1 combined with an attempt to kick-start the revolution there - remember kids, the Iranian people spontaneously lit candles and had rallies in support of the United States after 9/11. Unlike those f***ers in Pakistan or Palestine who cheered it on...
That generation doesn't know the United States very well after 25 years of isolation, and because they have a different oppressor closer to home are under the mistaken impression that the american empire is, relatively speaking, their buddy.
*sighs*
If the American Left ever wonders why they have such trouble winning elections... Roll Eyes
To be fair, WMS, opebo is rather less sane than your typical leftist (which says a lot, quite frankly).

Thanks for the support Smiley and if there is one thing we Americans are good at, it's exploting internal divisions in other countries Wink
Opebo's statement's somewhat callous, but probably includes quite a bit of truth, you know? Unlike the "celebrate" part. Nobody worth mentioning "celebrated" ... though not everybody was overwhelmed with grief, obviously. But then, that's just as true in Europe, South America, etc.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2006, 04:11:47 PM »

Don't have a definitive answer now, but I think a strike should be considered. I'd love for containment to work, but containment enjoys the most success only if your enemy cares whether or not he dies / is defeated, IMO.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2006, 04:43:17 PM »

*sighs*

Opebo's statement's somewhat callous, but probably includes quite a bit of truth, you know? Unlike the "celebrate" part. Nobody worth mentioning "celebrated" ... though not everybody was overwhelmed with grief, obviously. But then, that's just as true in Europe, South America, etc.
We've been ready to bury the hatchet with the Iranians for a long time now, and so are most of their people, but the mullahs running Iran aren't. And I stand by "celebrate" - I was paying a LOT of attention to non-American reactions to 9/11 at the time, and the Palestinians cheered, along with a lot of the Pakistanis. I also remember Arafat getting really worried about how that looked and him publicly donating blood for 9/11 victims, too. I give credit where credit is due - Cuba, Libya, and Syria all condemned the attack. But I remember who celebrated, too...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies