Hate Crimes Statistics Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:29:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Hate Crimes Statistics Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hate Crimes Statistics Bill  (Read 8646 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: April 13, 2006, 05:32:28 PM »

Using what methods will the attorney general determine whether a crime happened because of the victim's race, sex, or sexual orientation?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 06:00:11 PM »

Using what methods will the attorney general determine whether a crime happened because of the victim's race, sex, or sexual orientation?

Sections 4 and 5 of the "Hate Crime Statistics Bill" made the government track the crimes so he should get it from there. (I guess the GM?)

Wouldn't it be rather convenient just to get the GM say "this was a hate crime, this wasn't"?  It's not exactly as obvious in real life.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 06:26:36 PM »

This brings to mind Al's suggestion for a national motto, as if this passes, it will be rather appropriate.

Nay.  A better idea would be to have the GM report the number of crimes committed against people of each race, sex, and sexual orientation, and then have the people in charge decide for themselves which was and wasn't a hate crime.  Having the GM simply say "this was a hate crime, this wasn't" is silly.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »

Traditionally, the PPT waits 24 hours after an amendment's passing or failing to open a vote on the bill itself, because debate and voting on the amendment is considered to be posting relevant to the bill's content.  I find the speed with which this came to a vote after passing or failing (which all occurred during a period while I was away) to be rather sketchy, at best, given that I had every intention to introduce an amendment to get the GM to produce the figures that I had mentioned in this post.

As it currently stands, this bill will just let the attorney general completely make up the figures, which is entirely useless.  With that in mind, I must vote nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies