Useless Defense Spending Repeal Bill (Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:39:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Useless Defense Spending Repeal Bill (Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Useless Defense Spending Repeal Bill (Withdrawn)  (Read 2427 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2006, 06:08:23 PM »
« edited: April 16, 2006, 11:19:30 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Useless Defense Spending Repeal Bill

1. The Missile Defense Initiative Act is repealed.
2. All appropriations associated with the above are terminated.

Sponsor: Sen. Peter Bell
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 04:24:07 PM »

As Secretary of Defense, I am coming out in opposition to this bill. As a country, we cannot simply give up on developing a workable missile defense system, as this bill calls for. If we can develop this system, it will enable us to better negotiate with the North Koreans in our efforts to get them to disband their nuclear arsenal. We can negotiate more effectively from a position of strength than one of weakness, and whether we can defend ourselves from an attack is part of what determines that. This is in reality a security measure, and if we can create a workable missile defense system, the Atlasian people will be safer. This is not some ego thing for the military to be even stronger than the rest of the world, this is a national security matter. We must be prepared. The risk is too big not to be.

It is worth noting that we are only spending $1 billion per year, which is only 10% of what was originally allotted in the old, real life budget.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 06:17:30 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2006, 07:05:26 PM by Senator Dave Hawk »

As Secretary of Defense, I am coming out in opposition to this bill. As a country, we cannot simply give up on developing a workable missile defense system, as this bill calls for. If we can develop this system, it will enable us to better negotiate with the North Koreans in our efforts to get them to disband their nuclear arsenal. We can negotiate more effectively from a position of strength than one of weakness, and whether we can defend ourselves from an attack is part of what determines that. This is in reality a security measure, and if we can create a workable missile defense system, the Atlasian people will be safer. This is not some ego thing for the military to be even stronger than the rest of the world, this is a national security matter. We must be prepared. The risk is too big not to be.

It is worth noting that we are only spending $1 billion per year, which is only 10% of what was originally allotted in the old, real life budget.

I concur with the Secretary's oppostion to this Bill for the reasons he has stated

'Hawk'
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 06:42:53 PM »

I concur with the Secretary.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 06:51:20 PM »

I also concur with what Akno, Hawk and Yates have said.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »

I'm interested to hear why Peter Bell feels that this is useless, as Akno makes a pretty good case, as far as I can tell.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 02:15:02 AM »

A missile shield system would likely serve to undermine the principles and the strategies of deterrence.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 02:23:30 AM »

A missile shield system would likely serve to undermine the principles and the strategies of deterrence.

The only problem is if any of the many world leaders show themselves to be too crazy to be daunted by methods of deterrence.

I don't really think that Atlasia would use this as an excuse to nuke anyone it doesn't like.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 02:35:57 AM »

The only problem is if any of the many world leaders show themselves to be too crazy to be daunted by methods of deterrence.

Good point.  The traditional logic of game theory might not apply in the modern world (of intercontinental weapons).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 06:31:21 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. The Missile Defense Initiative Act is repealed.
2. All appropriations associated with the above are terminated.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 06:31:58 AM »

Nay
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 06:51:03 AM »

I really wish that I could hear from the bill's sponsor before voting.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 08:56:41 AM »

This Bill is not in our national interest. I'm of the firm conviction that having a missile defense system will strengthen our hand at the negotiating table

I, therefore, vote Nay

'Hawk'
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 11:16:21 AM »

This bill was introduced because in the last budget negoitiations several Senators expressed an interest in cutting the deficit via legislation after we formally dealt with the budget. Several people and a couple of Senators pointed towards bloated defence spending, and this spending in particular, as a possible place for cuts to take place.

Given the clear lack of support, I withdraw the bill, though I would also like to note to the President Pro Tempore that the vote on this bill was opened 12 hours early. Whilst an hour here or there does not bother me, half a day is something more of a substantial period.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 05:26:22 PM »

Akno has convinced me on this and so even though I initially suggested it for budget removal I change my mind and vote Nay.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies