SC Primary TV Ads Have Begun
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:15:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC Primary TV Ads Have Begun
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC Primary TV Ads Have Begun  (Read 1323 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2006, 11:05:13 PM »

With filing finished and the primary only two months away, the TV ads have already started here.  With millions of dollars to spend, first out of the box is Sen. Greg Ryberg (R-Aiken) who is spending two million of his own money in the race for State Treasurer.  Yes, you heard that right, Treasurer.  He ran four years ago and lost against Grady Patterson and this year he is trying again, but has three primary opponents as well as having a rematch with Grady should he get that far.  State Treasurer and Superintendent of Education are the only two Constitutional offices the Dems hold at present, and since Grady is running for his tenth term, I guess that the Republicans hoped he would finally retire so they could get the office back.  (Grady's nine terms aren't consective, he had a four year involutary vacation in the '90's but regained the office in the next election.)  Still it's wierd that State Treasurer is shaping up to possibly be the most expensive primary race.  (Sanford has a large war chest, but I expect that he'll try to save as much as possible for the general election.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 11:35:04 PM »

Two weeks later, and Ryberg for Treasurer remains the only campaign in any statewide race with a TV presence.With only 45 days to go until the primary that is a bit surprising.  What is even more surprising is the total lack of any signage for Sanford or Bauer so far.  I can sort of understand it in the case of Sanford, as he remains likely to win the primary, but Bauer is in a tough race.  Of course, considering what part of his trouble is, Bauer may not want voters to be thinking of him as they drive down the highway. Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:16:30 PM »

Finally!  A campaign other than Ryberg's is showing signs of life.  Bob Staton, one of four Republicans running for Superintendent of Education has launched a TV campaign.  It'll probably end up being a race between Floyd and Staton.  My early support for Floyd is due solely to the fact that of the various candidates, she is the one who appears to have thought most about what she would actually do.  Staton won't be too bad, and if either of them wins the GOP nomination, I'll likely vote for them in November as I am not particularly thrilled with the sole Democrat running, Jim Rex.
SCDem07
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.74

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:10:54 PM »

Hey! Another Palmetto State resident!  Yeah, Greg Ryberg is the only TV ad I've seen.  I don't know much about Rex or Staton or Floyd, but I've seen Staton's signs all over Horry County.  Grady Patterson will probably win again.  I see no reason for him to lose.  I just got something in the mail from Republican Rick Quinn too.  I wasn't really impressed...sounded like any other Republican.  The only Republican I would really even consider voting for statewide would be Lindsey Graham because of his independent streak.

Do you think Willis or Moore have a chance against Sanford?  I think Willis, with the support of the national Democratic party and his 2 to 1 money advantage over Moore, would have a shot.  Whether they'll provide much support, I don't know, but I don't think either Democratic is exactly insanely liberal, and would have a shot with Republicans dissatisfied with Sanford.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 10:28:52 PM »

Well, Sanford's finally started his ad campaign, but he seems to be going TV only with his approach.

As for Willis and Moore, I haven't paid much attention to the Dems yet.  I've known since November 2003 that I'd be voting in the GOP primary this year so I can vote against Leadfoot Bauer, so I'm waiting until after the primary to really measure how I feel about the Dems .  I'd didn't care for Bauer when he was my Senator, and he's done nothing to improve my opinion of him.

As for Sanford, it's his race to lose.  For Sanford to not have four more years in Columbia, he needs either to make a major mistake or to have the economy really tank, and I doubt if either will happen. Sanford hasn't done anything to really anger anybody, largely because he hasn't done anything.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies