Travel and Work....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:33:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Travel and Work....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Travel and Work....  (Read 1507 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2006, 10:05:05 AM »
« edited: April 15, 2006, 10:08:52 AM by nickshepDEM »

Couple of questions...

-How do you get to work in the morning?

-How long does it take to get there?

-How often does your work require you to travel (out of state)?

Asking because Im thinking I will have to expand my job search to DC when I graduate and Id really rather not.  I live aprox. 5 minutes away from Baltimore City; however, I live about 45 minutes away from DC.  It would be a major pain in the ass to have to drive to DC.  Probably even worse if I take the train.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 10:08:26 AM »

Bethesda is also a hot spot for jobs, but just as far as DC.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 05:30:24 PM »

i would certainly encourage you to utilize trains and public transportation as much as possible.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 05:40:27 PM »

Myeh. I had to take a bus and then a train to school, all up taking anywhere between 30-50 minutes. It really isn't that bad; it gives you a chance to read the paper, do last minute homework, etc. It also helped that there were other students from my school so there was a social aspect to it, but anything under an hour isn't bad as long as the job/school/whatever is good.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 05:55:12 PM »

I walk 10 mins to the station, then get the train and walk from there Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 06:35:20 PM »

I have a long commute, which is typical for people who work in Manhattan.

I drive to the train station and park, which takes about 10 minutes.  Then I take the train into the city, which takes about 1 hour.  Then, I walk to the office, about another 10 minutes (with no obstacles).

So all in, I spend close to 3 hours per day commuting.  I do productive things on the train like work and reading, or bill paying.  Sometimes I just nap.  It's a lot better than driving that distance.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 06:43:25 PM »

Couple of questions...

- Bus
- 40 minutes
- No
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 08:54:53 PM »

I enjoy living in small towns; my longest commute ever has been 5 minutes by car.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 08:57:28 PM »

I don't have a job right now, but when I'm in Redmond this summer...

Walking.

About five minutes.

It doesn't.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 08:57:55 PM »

I enjoy living in small towns; my longest commute ever has been 5 minutes by car.

Lucky man you are in that respect.  

Commuting sucks.  I commute to the city because I can make a lot more money that way.  And since New York is so big, longer commutes are generally the rule, since geographically, you have Manhattan, which offers only highly urban living at a very high price.  Then, ringing Manhattan are large and most undesirable outer boroughs, plus close-in suburbs that are hideously expensive and overbuilt.  By the time you get past all this, you have a long commute.

Still, for me it's worth it.  I like working in Manhattan, and I love where I live.  When I'm closer to retirement, I'll probably want to switch to a local job.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 11:06:24 PM »

My "commute" takes anywhere from one to three minutes driving (depending on the stop light color) and seven to ten minutes walking.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 11:12:31 PM »

My "commute" takes anywhere from one to three minutes driving (depending on the stop light color) and seven to ten minutes walking.

Wow, life's tough for you Jake....Tongue
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 08:58:30 AM »

Id love to work in NYC.  I love the whole Wall Street business culture.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 09:29:29 AM »

i would certainly encourage you to utilize trains and public transportation as much as possible.
And your own proud flat feet, of course.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »

I drive to the train station and park, which takes about 10 minutes.  Then I take the train into the city, which takes about 1 hour.  Then, I walk to the office, about another 10 minutes (with no obstacles).

So all in, I spend close to 3 hours per day commuting.  I do productive things on the train like work and reading, or bill paying.  Sometimes I just nap.  It's a lot better than driving that distance.

Just out of curiosity, how close are you to Wall Street?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 04:15:02 PM »

My first real job out of college was an hour drive. So an 8 hours day, plus 1 hour lunch and the commute ended up taking 11 hours. Then they laid me off and I ended up with a closer job and more pay. Now I am working from home because of Katrina though we should be back in the office soon.

I look at things as you gotta go where there is work. And make sure you buy a vehical with good gas milage.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 07:40:10 PM »

Wall Street is downtown.  I work in midtown.  It is probably a couple of miles, but nobody measures things in Manhattan in miles.

Unlike most cities, NY has two distinct commercial districts -- midtown and downtown, separated by subcommercial and residential districts.

Midtown Manhattan runs from 42nd Street to 59th Street, and is mostly a commercial district, though there is some residential on the fringes near the rivers.  Above 59th Street up to about 96th Street is the upper east side (on the eastern side of Central Park) or the upper west side (on the western side of Central Park); both are primarily residential areas.  Central Park runs from 59th Street to 110th Street.  Above 96th Street begins Harlem, through about 150th Street, then Washington Heights, then Inwood.  Those three are poorer residential neighborhoods, as opposed to the much wealthier upper east side and upper west side.

Below midtown is a bunch of neighborhoods leading down to the lower tip of Manhattan, where Wall Street is located.  The WTC site is also at the lower tip of Manhattan.  Downtown is a totally distinct market, and would be much harder for me to get to, since my commuter train doesn't go past midtown.

Downtown has generally been considered less desirable a location than midtown for some time now, due mainly to more limited transportation options.  That's probably why my firm chose to locate in midtown, even though it is a "Wall Street" firm.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 08:18:03 PM »

I leave my home in Council Bluffs every morning at 6:00 A.M.  I, usually, meet a colleague for tennis or golf at this time.  I then drive to work in Omaha, Nebraska, and arrive there by 9:00 A.M.

Three hours; less than one hour in the automobile.

Everyday, I travel from Iowa to Nebraska.  On some occasions, I must travel farther.  For example, I shall soon be in Philadelphia, meeting with colleagues from Boston and Atlanta.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 08:54:03 AM »

I drive to work every morning, Usually takes me about 20-30 minutes, depending on things like if I get stuck behind a truck or how many school buses I have to stop for.  I never have to travel out of state, but I do sometimes have to go to various training sites that require a trip to either western Suffolk or Nassau.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 11:29:01 AM »

I have been provided a rather nice (though shoddily furnished) apartment just about 50 yards from the english school at which I am currently working. 

Interesting thing about Korean apartments - they are heated through hot water pipes running through the floors.  Nice and toasty.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »

My dad actually works right on Wall Street for a bank.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies