Should Truman have fired McArthur?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:53:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Should Truman have fired McArthur?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ***
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Should Truman have fired McArthur?  (Read 13757 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2006, 03:02:06 PM »

So you have a general who is taking the fight to the enemy and winning. So during the heat of things you go out and fire him? Do you agree with this lousy decision?
kashifsakhan
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »

well, the thing is, Mac Arthur wanted to take the war into China, which may have very well brought the USSR into the Korean conflict, and would have led to the start of WWIII. Keeping that in mind, i'd have to say that it was a good decison.

On the otherhand, perhaps if MacArthur had stayed on, we wouldnt have had the mess in the Korean Penensula that we have now. But thats mere speculation. Who knows how the rest of the war would have panned out if MacArthur had stayed in command.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:59:45 PM »

No, MacArthur was handaling the situation. He should have had the right to defeat China, it would have saved us trouble today.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 05:30:54 PM »

well, the thing is, Mac Arthur wanted to take the war into China, which may have very well brought the USSR into the Korean conflict, and would have led to the start of WWIII. Keeping that in mind, i'd have to say that it was a good decison.

On the otherhand, perhaps if MacArthur had stayed on, we wouldnt have had the mess in the Korean Penensula that we have now. But thats mere speculation. Who knows how the rest of the war would have panned out if MacArthur had stayed in command.

Yes, but the thing is the Russians were already fighting us during that war. It has been said as witnessed by allied B-29 pilots that Russians not Chinese or Koreans were piloting the MiGs over the air of Korea. I don't where a total defeat of Korea plus a defeat of China would have led but I think we would have had the worlds support in all likelihood. But of course this is better left to alternative history?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 05:23:24 AM »

yes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 11:33:55 AM »

Why are you against winning wars?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:11:57 PM »

I'm not entirely sure that the retreat in US history, of the 8th Army, could be considered "winning."  When MacArthur was removed, the Korean situation was that  nearly every victory that he had won had been reversed.

MacArthur's ultimate was thinking, wishfully, "The PRC won't intervene," instead of, "What should we do if the PRC does intervene."  Truman, at Wake, ironically, asked the right question, and got the answer that they would not.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 12:13:09 PM »

it's not that i disagree with what macarthur said.  i dont think generals should question, criticize, or offer suggestions to the president in a public manner.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 04:10:59 PM »

Yes, a general hell bent on starting WWIII is not one I'd keep on the payroll.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 06:57:07 PM »

It was the correct decision, yes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 12:31:44 AM »

Yes, a general hell bent on starting WWIII is not one I'd keep on the payroll.

Yes, effectively losing the war was much better.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 01:51:41 AM »

I'd rather draw a mid-sixed war then fght the biggerst war in human history, myself; whatever the outcome of that war may have been.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 06:09:57 AM »

I think Truman did the right thing by firing MacArthur.  MacArthur thought he was bigger than his bosses, and refused to accept civilian control over generals.

Also, he wasn't such a great general.  Under his command, the UN forces were almost wiped out in the winter of 1950.

He was insubordinate, and Truman was well within his rights in firing him.

Matthew Ridgway did a very good job as his replacement.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 04:10:29 PM »

Truman should have fired himself.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »

I think Truman did the right thing by firing MacArthur.  MacArthur thought he was bigger than his bosses, and refused to accept civilian control over generals.

Also, he wasn't such a great general.  Under his command, the UN forces were almost wiped out in the winter of 1950.

He was insubordinate, and Truman was well within his rights in firing him.

Matthew Ridgway did a very good job as his replacement.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This pretty much sums it up, especially the part in bold. Smiley
He really, really, really f***ed up in not anticipating the move by China...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »

From what I've seen of Korea we could just as well have let them have it. Wink

But seriously, I think Truman had to fire MacArthur, if for no other reason than to preserve the pretense of civilian authority.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 03:33:24 PM »

Yes.

If it weren't for McArthur, Korea would be a unified democratic state today. There would be no North Korea. North Korea was destroyed and its leadership forced into exile until McArthur's actions caused Chinese invasion which restored it.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 06:24:44 PM »

Yes.

If it weren't for McArthur, Korea would be a unified democratic state today. There would be no North Korea. North Korea was destroyed and its leadership forced into exile until McArthur's actions caused Chinese invasion which restored it.

Actually BRTD, the original goal was to only fight to the 48th Paralel. When it comes down to it Truman sucked as a war leader and thus he is to blame for North Korea exisitng today. Had he allowed MacArthur access to the entirte arsenal of the US Millitary there woudl be no Communist Korea or China, however there may not have been a world either.

That war could not have been won by any side as it was too early in the course of the Cold War.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 09:16:07 PM »

Had he allowed MacArthur access to the entirte arsenal of the US Millitary there woudl be no Communist Korea or China, however there may not have been a world either.

A small price to pay for the chance to blow up China, isn't it? Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 10:42:03 PM »

Yes.

Actually BRTD, the original goal was to only fight to the 48th Paralel. When it comes down to it Truman sucked as a war leader and thus he is to blame for North Korea exisitng today. Had he allowed MacArthur access to the entirte arsenal of the US Millitary there woudl be no Communist Korea or China, however there may not have been a world either.

That war could not have been won by any side as it was too early in the course of the Cold War.

First, it was the 38th Parallel.

Second, the the Chinese did not enter the war, in force, until the UN forces reached the Yalu River.  Had MacArthur's intelligence, both military and personal, not failed, and had the State Department (Both Acheson and Rusk) taken warnings seriously from India, in particular, the situation might have been avoided.

I can understand what the PRC was thinking.  They were not willing to fight a war to help prop up Kim in North Korea.  They saw, however, a large army approach a border of part of China that wasn't part of China six years before.

You also had MacArthur talking with Chaing Kai-shek about an invasion of China.

Had MacArthur considered the possibility of Chinese entry, and considered a reasonable response, in the summer or early fall of 1950, we might have seen a very different end to the Korean War.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 03:43:55 PM »

Yes -Douglas MacArthur wasn't nicknamed the 'American Caesar' for nothing.  By firing General MacArthur when he blatantly and repeatedly defied him, President Truman reasserted the republican principle of civilian control over the military.  This shouldn't even be up for debate. 
Cashcow

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 07:17:36 PM »

No, MacArthur was handaling the situation. He should have had the right to defeat China, it would have saved us trouble today.

Yeah, I'm sure that would have been a blast.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 08:53:56 PM »

Yes -Douglas MacArthur wasn't nicknamed the 'American Caesar' for nothing.  By firing General MacArthur when he blatantly and repeatedly defied him, President Truman reasserted the republican principle of civilian control over the military.  This shouldn't even be up for debate. 

Yes, exactly. It would have been a terrible precedent to allow a Genreal to disobey orders of the President.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »

McArthur was a bit of a loon, he would have invaded New York if someone had told him that it would stop the "dangerous" spread of communism. I appluad my personal favorite president for his desicion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies