New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:12:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006  (Read 26230 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« on: April 23, 2006, 09:06:06 AM »

Why does everyone hate Mayor Nagin so much?  Its Blanco that deserves the blame for Louisiana's poor response.  I'd certainly support Nagin over Landrieu.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »

I a little disappointed in how this played out. I was kinda hoping Nagin would break the 40% the round one, but I suppose Im moderately happy with 38%.

Won't you love to have a "chocolate New Orleans"?

Water and chocolate don't mix.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 10:45:28 PM »

Why does everyone hate Mayor Nagin so much?  Its Blanco that deserves the blame for Louisiana's poor response.  I'd certainly support Nagin over Landrieu.

He was never a Republican, Don.

He was a registered Republican up until the time when he ran for Mayor in 2001.  He also gave a $1,000 contribution to Bush's '00 campaign and endorsed Bobby Jindal in '03.  He claimed to never have been a Republican in a Tavis Smiley interview but a number of news reports contradict that claim.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »

He was a registered Republican up until the time when he ran for Mayor in 2001.  He also gave a $1,000 contribution to Bush's '00 campaign and endorsed Bobby Jindal in '03.  He claimed to never have been a Republican in a Tavis Smiley interview but a number of news reports contradict that claim.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/25/AR2005102501627.html

Read the very top. Thanks for at the very least proving he is an opportunist.

This correction could have been a result of him trying to make that clarifaction, which is not necessarily true.  In any case, he has shown conservative tendencies which at the very least warrant some level of loyalty.  Mitch Landrieu has always been a Dem, endorsed incompetent Blanco, and has never given any money to President Bush.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 11:01:29 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/25/AR2005102501627.html

Read the very top. Thanks for at the very least proving he is an opportunist.

Opportunist?  He gave money and endorsed the best candidates for those offices.  That's called principle, not opportunism.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:08:34 PM »

Do you actually believe Nagin is the best candidate? Or do you just enjoy supporting trash for public office?

Do I believe Nagin is the best Mayor in America?  No.
Do I believe Nagin is a great Mayor?  Probably not.
Do I believe Nagin got a raw deal just for having the bad luck of being Mayor during an epic disaster?  Yes.
Do I believe Nagin is better than his opponent?  Absolutely.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:10:18 PM »

Opportunist?  He gave money and endorsed the best candidates for those offices.  That's called principle, not opportunism.

I didn't mean he was an opportunist for the contributions/endorsments. If he was a Republican and became a Democrat just to run for mayour - that makes him a blatant opportunist.

So he should have run as a Republican and collected 10% of the vote?  Obviously that would have been nice to have had a black corporate executive running in name under our banner... but I can't blame him for being a realist.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 08:18:01 AM »

I was unsure why it would matter if he was a Republican, but a Republican and a liar is better yet.

I was unaware until this week you were a Ray Nagin and George Ryan sort of Republican.  What about Buddy Cianci and Bill Janklow?

I respect George Ryan for the death penalty moratorium.  I do not respect the corruption in his administration and am upset that it has cast a negative light over our Party in Illinois.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »

Is that simply because Nagin was a Republican and his opponent's second name is "Landrieu"... what every way you stack it, Landrieu would be a far more effective Mayor than Nagin. 

Is that just simply because your guy is a Democrat and his last name is "Landrieu"? 

Landrieu just wants to get the credit for the rebuilding so he can go on to run for something else after LA Democrats get their asses kicked next year.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 02:31:56 PM »

Is that simply because Nagin was a Republican and his opponent's second name is "Landrieu"... what every way you stack it, Landrieu would be a far more effective Mayor than Nagin. 

Is that just simply because your guy is a Democrat and his last name is "Landrieu"? 

Landrieu just wants to get the credit for the rebuilding so he can go on to run for something else after LA Democrats get their asses kicked next year.

Personally I'd support whoever - Democrat, Republican, Libertarian even Green! - so long as i thought they where best placed to help New Orleans.

Landrieu my be running with an eye to the long game, but he could have won re-election in 2007 he was/is a popular Lt.Gov and seems to be as motivated by a desire to salvage the city he grew up in as anything else.

Too bad that he and his sister weren't motivated to save New Orleans before the damage occured - by using their political power to bring attention to the dire consequences of inaction on upgrading the levee system.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies