New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:16:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Orleans Mayoral Election 2006  (Read 26244 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« on: April 23, 2006, 03:43:59 AM »

I would imagine that Landrieu should pick up the bulk of the other votes, what’s more I think that Nagin's base (which ironically seems to be the city's black community) wont turn out as strongly on the second ballot... so with any luck, and baring a disaster, Landrieu should pull out a win.

If Nagin wins, then we might as well give the delta back to the gulf Sad 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 11:16:14 AM »

Why does everyone hate Mayor Nagin so much?  Its Blanco that deserves the blame for Louisiana's poor response.  I'd certainly support Nagin over Landrieu.

I’ve never understood your affection for Nagin Don, tell me it isn’t because he started out as a pretty moderate, pro-business Republican?

In all fairness, Blanco fouled up, Brown/FEMA fouled up, Bush (to a much lesser extent) fouled up but so did Nagin…. It was always the actions of Nagin which not only frustrated the efforts (such as they where) of FEMA and the State Authorities but also actively did wrong, not effectively evacuating the city, not preparing for the thousands who sought shelter in the super dome and allowing hundreds of city owned school buses to rust as the waters rose instead of ferrying people out of the city.

Finally since the disaster Nagin’s response has been a mix of blaming everyone but himself and playing the race card to win the support of the very community he never enjoyed an especially strong endorsement from… Nagin’s tenure increasingly seems to lack any drive or imagination beyond “what’s good for Ray Nagin”.

In contrast Landrieu could conceivably have held the post of Lt.Gov in ’07 and could certainly have contested higher offices from there, instead it seems he was drive to abandon the office when his home city suffered the catastrophe of Katrina – in contrast to Nagin’s race based, populist campaign, Landirieu has the solid support of the city’s business community as well as boasting a far more diverse base of support than that of Nagin.

As things stand I think it most likely that Landrieu will hoover-up most of the white and conservative vote that has been largely split, what he must succeed in doing is preventing Nagin from scoring a significant lead amongst Black voters.   
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 11:40:03 AM »

Now here's an interesting little question; why do you all think that so many people (in a multi-candidate race close to 40% is pretty good) voted for Nagin?
Here's a little clue; what (basically) sparked off the bizarre "chocolate city" remark?

Nagin's playing the race card? pretty odd considering his background... but that how you fight for your political life i guess.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:24:25 AM »

Do I believe Nagin is better than his opponent?  Absolutely.

Is that simply because Nagin was a Republican and his opponent's second name is "Landrieu"... what every way you stack it, Landrieu would be a far more effective Mayor than Nagin. 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 02:25:47 PM »

Is that simply because Nagin was a Republican and his opponent's second name is "Landrieu"... what every way you stack it, Landrieu would be a far more effective Mayor than Nagin. 

Is that just simply because your guy is a Democrat and his last name is "Landrieu"? 

Landrieu just wants to get the credit for the rebuilding so he can go on to run for something else after LA Democrats get their asses kicked next year.

Personally I'd support whoever - Democrat, Republican, Libertarian even Green! - so long as i thought they where best placed to help New Orleans.

Landrieu my be running with an eye to the long game, but he could have won re-election in 2007 he was/is a popular Lt.Gov and seems to be as motivated by a desire to salvage the city he grew up in as anything else.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 04:07:37 PM »

Is that just simply because your guy is a Democrat and his last name is "Landrieu"? 

Landrieu just wants to get the credit for the rebuilding so he can go on to run for something else after LA Democrats get their asses kicked next year.

Personally I'd support whoever - Democrat, Republican, Libertarian even Green! - so long as i thought they where best placed to help New Orleans.

Landrieu my be running with an eye to the long game, but he could have won re-election in 2007 he was/is a popular Lt.Gov and seems to be as motivated by a desire to salvage the city he grew up in as anything else.

Too bad that he and his sister weren't motivated to save New Orleans before the damage occured - by using their political power to bring attention to the dire consequences of inaction on upgrading the levee system.

Hmmm… I guess the power of the Mayor of New Orleans, the Governor of Louisiana the director of FEMA and the President of the United States simply can’t compete when it comes to averting or minimising the impact of a natural disaster when it comes to the awesome power of a United States Senator and the Lt.Governor of Louisiana!

I mean come on!

In the final analysis Mary Landrieu (and David Vitter for that matter) did all they could as United States Senators, while as Lt.Gov Mitch Landrieu also did, pretty much all he could… in stark contrast to the failures at the local level by Nagin and Blanco and the subsequent failures of FEMA and the Administration.

Can you credibly argue that Louisiana’s Lt. Governor and one of her United States Senator are culpable for the reaction to Katrina while Nagin, as Mayor of New Orleans, bears no blame what so ever… do you not see how ridicules that sounds?!

Honestly Don, you r smarter that this!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 02:10:03 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2006, 02:13:19 AM by Lt. Governor Ben. »

Anyone got an idea of what the hell is going to happen?

Also anyone seen the debate... http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=a44d8421-1e19-410f-934b-e221f613e6c4&t=m5&p=News_Comment%20-%20Analysis
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 02:45:03 AM »

Tulane Univ. Poll

(D)Mayor C. Ray Nagin 38%
(D)Lt. Governor Mitch Landrieu 48%

I dont care where the polls from... I'll take it Smiley
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 03:46:47 AM »

I guess New Orleans will be under water in a few months then... hopefully Nagin will have the decency to go down with it this time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies