I just got busted for....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:08:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I just got busted for....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: I just got busted for....  (Read 14702 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2006, 02:50:45 PM »

My mother and grandparents are upset, naturally.  My dad doesn't know yet, although when he does find out it's unlikely he has much of a reaction.

I think that's the whole problem -- that your dad is disengaged, and you're looking for his attention.

Can somebody speak to him and tell him what he needs to do?

Look, I'm fine with my father being "disengaged."  That's not a problem.

Right there is screaming that it is a problem. I don't know whether to be concerned about your father seemingly not caring or you not wanting anything to do with your father. I know if I had done something showing such a lack of judgement that you did I damn sure wouldn't be logged on to an internet forum and I wouldn't have access to the outside world for a LONG time.

Oh, I still see him now and then.  We go to ball games together and lunch on Saturdays and so on.  But my relationship with him more like an uncle than it is a father-son relationship.  Honestly, that doesn't bother me.

And I don't see how internet access has anything to do with anything.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2006, 03:01:21 PM »

My mother and grandparents are upset, naturally.  My dad doesn't know yet, although when he does find out it's unlikely he has much of a reaction.

I think that's the whole problem -- that your dad is disengaged, and you're looking for his attention.

Right there is screaming that it is a problem. I don't know whether to be concerned about your father seemingly not caring or you not wanting anything to do with your father. I know if I had done something showing such a lack of judgement that you did I damn sure wouldn't be logged on to an internet forum and I wouldn't have access to the outside world for a LONG time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with states on  this comment.

(somebody check the weather report for hades please.  I think they may be experiencing a blizzard) Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2006, 03:16:39 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with states on  this comment.

(somebody check the weather report for hades please.  I think they may be experiencing a blizzard) Tongue

'The sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while'
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »

Oh, I still see him now and then.  We go to ball games together and lunch on Saturdays and so on.  But my relationship with him more like an uncle than it is a father-son relationship.  Honestly, that doesn't bother me.

Some people aren't close to their fathers, and that's fine; I'm not going to judge that relationship, it's not my place to do so anyway. It's not like my dad and I hug every time he comes home from work, either.

That said, do you have any males in your life besides your dad, whatever their age, that don't drink at parties and stuff?

Often the best friend you can have is the most boring friend you have, and it's important to have that voice there. If every other bloke in your life who is important to you, excluding your father, so basically, if all your friends are into partying, drinking, etc.; it might be a good idea to broaden your circle of friends. Don't drop your friends unless they are real idiots, that wouldn't make the situation any better and would just make you feel a bit isolated, but try and hear different voices, if you know what i mean.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »

WRT your last comment, I think it proves how ineffectual your parents are, frankly.  When you get in big trouble, you should be denied the things that you like, and since you like internet access, your parents should deny it to you for a while as a form of punishment.

I hope things turn out OK for you Boss Tweed.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2006, 08:03:45 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this is so serious.  Wow.  I didn't even realize it would be such a big deal.  It should be either!  It is criminal that something as trivial as this could influence one's future so much.  I hope you don't get nailed too hard. Sad
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2006, 08:14:47 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this is so serious.  Wow.  I didn't even realize it would be such a big deal.  It should be either!  It is criminal that something as trivial as this could influence one's future so much.  I hope you don't get nailed too hard. Sad

WTF??? Huh
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2006, 08:18:47 PM »

I agree with Richius. This is a stupid teenage act, and I hope it doesn't affect him in 10 years after university when he's applying for a job.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2006, 08:20:22 PM »

I agree with Richius. This is a stupid teenage act, and I hope it doesn't affect him in 10 years after university when he's applying for a job.

At that point I'd just omit it from job applications if they asked and take a gamble that they don't check with my HS.  But I doubt they'd ask if you were ever suspended from public school when I'm 25.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2006, 08:22:37 PM »

At that point I'd just omit it from job applications if they asked and take a gamble that they don't check with my HS.  But I doubt they'd ask if you were ever suspended from public school when I'm 25.

I don't think it will hurt with job prospects in the future, nor should it.  Nobody is going to be interested in this once you get past high school.

Where it could hurt is if you actually develop a drinking problem.  It seems to me you're drinking for the wrong reasons, and I find that worrisome.  A lot more worrisome than the trouble you're in at school right now.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2006, 08:25:07 PM »

Where it could hurt is if you actually develop a drinking problem.  It seems to me you're drinking for the wrong reasons, and I find that worrisome.  A lot more worrisome than the trouble you're in at school right now.

Doesn't seem likely.  I can go for weeks without drinking and be fine.  I just enjoy it when I do.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2006, 08:26:23 PM »

Doesn't seem likely.  I can go for weeks without drinking and be fine.  I just enjoy it when I do.

I hope you're right.  But you may not be.  I stand by what I said originally on this topic.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2006, 09:44:46 PM »

Listen guys, I think we should all ease up on the armchair parenting here.  We are all dealt a hand in life and you play those cards you are dealt.  I happened to have a no good drunk natural father who I haven't seen since I was 5 and a sproadically hormonally unbalanced mother.  You don't choose the family that you are born into and the consequences of that are out of your control.  I don't know Tweed enough to know his backstory but I do know that people need criticism of something  that is out of their hands like they need a hole in the head.   Tweed made a mistake and we should offer guidance and not pontificating. 
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2006, 10:10:10 PM »

Listen guys, I think we should all ease up on the armchair parenting here.  We are all dealt a hand in life and you play those cards you are dealt.  I happened to have a no good drunk natural father who I haven't seen since I was 5 and a sproadically hormonally unbalanced mother.  You don't choose the family that you are born into and the consequences of that are out of your control.  I don't know Tweed enough to know his backstory but I do know that people need criticism of something  that is out of their hands like they need a hole in the head.   Tweed made a mistake and we should offer guidance and not pontificating. 

There's no reason to get on BRTD for having his opinion on Boss Tweed.  However, I will still say what Tweed did was boneheaded and no grown adult on here should encourage his behavior in school.  I know I encouraged someone on here at some point to "kick back and have a few in park before going to the club with his friends", but note that is on a weekend and not in school and of course sparingly.  Look, I'm not trying to be parent here, but Tweed should know what lines to cross and which ones to avoid.  Dazzleman was dead on with much of what he said before. 

Figured I'd add this quote from another thread.  My problem is that certain adults are encouraging Tweed to do it again.  Now I'm not Dr. Phil, but guys I knew who brought alcohol into HS usually had other issues and the punishment was much more severe.  There is nothing wrong with a little kegger when the folks are on vacation or chillin' in the playground with a 40 hell I know I did both.  People in general should know to do this in moderation. 
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:24 PM »

People in general should know to do this in moderation. 

You should talk.

I know I should.  I'm more sober than I was at 20-21.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2006, 09:42:52 AM »

Ok, I'll just give my input - it's not a big deal, considering your age, just don't make a habit of doing stupid sh*t like this. And seriously, it is stupid. Not the underage drinking, especially if you do it in moderation like you say you do, but the bringing it to school part. WTF were you thinking?

Guess it's not as dumb as the girls in my high school who passed around the peppermint schnapps under the lunch table where the teachers could see them.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2006, 11:42:57 AM »

Moderation?
Yes: people 21 or over.
No: people younger should not be drinking period. Except for exceptions.
(communion, for example)

If you don't agree with the law, fine, change it.
But until then what is is and what is not is not.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2006, 11:44:27 AM »

WTF??? Huh
I didn't realize it was hard liquor.  But that doesn't change my belief that something as stupid as this should not affect your entire future career.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »

WTF??? Huh
I didn't realize it was hard liquor.  But that doesn't change my belief that something as stupid as this should not affect your entire future career.

If he doesn't change his attitude soon he could have a serious problem, which would affect a lot more than just his career.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2006, 11:51:34 AM »

Unfortunately George and Laura are not exactly good role models, either.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Anyway, a stupid thing to do, but kids do stupid things at that age.  Regardless, the punishment here seems to be lacking.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2006, 11:57:25 AM »

Anyway, a stupid thing to do, but kids do stupid things at that age.  Regardless, the punishment here seems to be lacking.

Actually, I think it has something to do with something, but what do I know?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2006, 11:58:30 AM »

Actually, I think it has something to do with something, but what do I know?

You are quite the partisan hack if you think underage drinking has anything to do with the President.  Hate to break this to you, but teenagers were drinking long before Bush was in office.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2006, 12:01:09 PM »

Well, the truth is that slightest criticism of George W, whom you seem to regard as some kind of god, drives you Republicans into an uncontrollable rage.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2006, 12:06:42 PM »

There is a connection. DUI and underage drinking are both illegal.

DUI and underage drinking occured long before Bush or his father were in office.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies